Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 07:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
It was? Poroshenko is literally an oligarch from the old guard. He was a member of parliament and served as an official under the Yuschenko, Tymoshenko and Yanukovich led governments. How can anyone have ever said he wasn't part of the old system...? I can't find anyone who was more entrenched in Ukrainian politics in the past 20 years.

That said, he turned out to be true in some of those respects you laid out. Certainly Russia despises him and he laid out a clear path to joining the West. He would have pulled off the re-election too if he didn't keep stumbling with the rule of law reform.
Yes, he is an oligarch and has been involved in politics for decades, but he was considered above the typical partisan, political scene, the "good" oligarch. He was with Kuchma, Yushchenko, and Yanukovych, and was not exactly hostile to Tymoshenko, helping her get released. He was considered not as so much political, but technical regarding economics, so he always escaped the bitter, partisan political dogma everyone else had. That is why he was considered an "outsider" not so much that he was, but he basically worked for every administration and was not considered overly political. Plus his billionaire status, his "good" oligarch, made the perception he was not tainted with corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 02:59 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,657 times
Ukainian people must get rid old poloitical elite gropups include mr. Poroshenko and Co e.t.c.
No one "good" tycoon in modern Ukraine. They are criminals and marauders.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:33 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Often when they sweep away the old guard, the new guard is not much better, or even worse. When the debate falls not on policy, but people, as in the old guard, I think it will be worse.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:35 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,657 times
unexpected turn)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVIsK3A8gw

Old 04-03-2019, 11:58 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,854,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, he is an oligarch and has been involved in politics for decades, but he was considered above the typical partisan, political scene, the "good" oligarch. He was with Kuchma, Yushchenko, and Yanukovych, and was not exactly hostile to Tymoshenko, helping her get released. He was considered not as so much political, but technical regarding economics, so he always escaped the bitter, partisan political dogma everyone else had. That is why he was considered an "outsider" not so much that he was, but he basically worked for every administration and was not considered overly political. Plus his billionaire status, his "good" oligarch, made the perception he was not tainted with corruption.
Its true, he was a good oligarch in the way that he seemed to operate his business without the aid of organized crime or committing fraud against the state like others have. And having served with governments from both sides, you could say he was neutral in that regard.

He also achieved some impressive gains once he got ahold of things. The economy is growing in the west/stable in the east. Corruption in some sectors has been eliminated by removing the mechanisms for cheating. He also did lead the nation to some important milestones: trade with Europe has grown several times over. Independent church. The army is well organized and hasn't given an inch in 4 years despite constant fighting. Police reformed. Tourism to and from Europe has grown. Gas imports are way down, etc etc. Its no surprise he got more votes in the west of ukraine where the economy is doing well.

But what was not accomplished (but was promised) is a longer list, sadly. I don't have the time to type them all out. And he should not have succumbed to ethnic nationalism. People are still finding ways to get rich through corrupt means and the mechanisms to stop them have been squashed by his administration.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:01 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Often when they sweep away the old guard, the new guard is not much better, or even worse. When the debate falls not on policy, but people, as in the old guard, I think it will be worse.
The 2 candidates have 90% the same policies and goals. The difference is one is saying he can do it better and the other has shown he can't do it very well after 5 years. This is where the Kremlin failed at trying to promote Putin's goals to be the opposition in Ukraine. He was hoping to ride this anti-Poroshenko wave with his guy Boiko. It didn't work...Now you have the "east" of Ukraine also wanting European integration but without the nationalism that comes from Lviv.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:06 PM

26,782 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post

Why "unexpected?'
No, quite expected; I mean Poroshenko doesn't have too many chances/defenses at this point, no matter what he is trying to come up with.
After all, judging by what Oleg Tzaryov is saying in this interview, Trump made Zelensky his choice, not Poroshenko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ARS3en0FWA&t=110s

Old 04-03-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Ukainian people must get rid old poloitical elite gropups include mr. Poroshenko and Co e.t.c.
No one "good" tycoon in modern Ukraine. They are criminals and marauders.

I wonder sometimes, what percentage of Ukrainian population the government ( gov. officials (чиновники)) represents in terms of its spirit. (I mean they didn't come out of space, they are Ukrainians after all, so obviously they reflect what part of Ukrainians are as well.) Same goes to Russia. The "national character," and how much it's represented by the corrupt government.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:21 PM
DKM

I was wondering how long it would take for Russian propaganda to start attacking Ze. Looks like its begun. Yes, he is going to be president because Trump picked him to be. LOL I needed that laugh thanks. This unmanaged democracy is a horror show to the Kremlin. Russians are having a demonstration on how a government can be peacefully removed/changed by the people. I can see why the Russian government hates it. This is unacceptable that a government survives on the will of the people...

Old 04-03-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I was wondering how long it would take for Russian propaganda to start attacking Ze. Looks like its begun. Yes, he is going to be president because Trump picked him to be. LOL I needed that laugh thanks.

I don't "attack" Ze.
In my eyes he is quite likable.
I just understand that the problem is bigger than "Ze."
The problem is that Ukraine is already sold to slavery to IMF, and there is nothing Ze can do.
I know as well, that Ukrainians were voting for Goloborodko, for the "Servant of the people" - the way Ze portrayed him, saying in the movie that "We are a beautiful country, not some transitional land between the elves and the ogres."

In real life Ze is already changing the tune, saying that IMF is not going anywhere, and he intends to pay the loans.

And THAT means trouble and more trouble for Ukrainians ( particularly combined with the right-wing reforms that IMF demands.)

P.S. I don't like this latest ad from Ze either.
We all know that in real life he speaks Russian, not Ukrainian ( among other things.)
And yes, Trump's approval makes Ze feel more secure, hence - this kind of advertisements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe