Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 06:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times

Advertisements

Building things, that's GOOD. But is it the right stuff? Is it what is needed? Look at the comments. A new stadium looks great but what about NECESSARY INFRASTRUCTURE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGB3_2k-KnY

I wonder what the average citizen has to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 06:18 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,854,455 times
Here is a picture inside of a concrete supplier in Zhytomyr.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/%D....7254997?hl=en

Those are reinforced concrete/rebar trusses. Used for bridges, either new or rebuilt of which dozens are occurring in Ukraine right now. They are so big going down the road they have to drive them to the sites during the night time with pilot cars.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:24 PM
DKM

I found a newer street view that someone did, so they do exist if you look hard enough:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4620...i3840?hl=en-US

That isn't quite done, here it is 2 weeks ago:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/%D...ICGAI?hl=en-US

Almost!

Old 03-31-2021, 06:42 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Building things, that's GOOD. But is it the right stuff? Is it what is needed? Look at the comments. A new stadium looks great but what about NECESSARY INFRASTRUCTURE?

How about a new bridge?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/%D...gIgAQ?hl=en-US

New Metro stations?

Solar farms?

That solar plant was the 3rd largest in Europe when built 2 years ago, but I understand Spain put up larger ones since.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Solar farm might be a good thing. There's plenty of sun in Ukraine most of the year. The technology is advancing also so when some better panels come out it's a matter of just replacing them.

Metro station? Why? Look at Seattles light rail. Damn what a screw job. Definitely not the time.

Does Ukraine have any healthcare system left? Invest in that.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:56 PM
DKM

Quote:

Interesting, that is the president's home town Krivoy Rog. Their soccer team isn't in Ukraine's premier league... Maybe they plan to get added to the list? Probably was addressed in the clip but I can't understand that village language. I found pictures of the soviet built stadium. That thing looked dangerously rundown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8951...!7i3264!8i2448

I don't see any other improvements going on in that city.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:22 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGB3_2k-KnY

You see the comments yourself there;

-Meanwhile our youth is slaving away in Poland...
- Who needs your stadium; we need the hospital and we need to take care of the oncology patients first.
- Meanwhile, they are fixing swimming pool "Strongman" already for seven years. This is a joke for such city as Krivoy Rog.

If you want to know what else Ukrainians are saying on a subject - I can tell you, since it was widely discussed on those channels that were recently shut down by Zelensky.

Basically this "Great construction" is his own project, to "show Ukraine the progress" for propaganda purposes.

In reality everyone knows by now that money for this "project" have been taken from Ukraine's Covid fund.

( That's why their hospitals don''t have beds, oxygen and so on. They are short of doctors/nurses now too, since they are leaving the country in droves, not being able to survive on the kind of salaries they are paid. So it's a disaster, not to mention the lack of vaccines. Remember, American embassy prohibited Ukrainians to produce Sputnik V, and didn't provide them anything in exchange.)
Meanwhile, the major interest of this "Great Construction" is those big, expensive projects for the most part, (vs what people REALLY need,) because that's where the officials/subcontractors ( read the oligarchs) can steal the most - on those big projects.

Oh, and the roads that Zelensky was bragging about ( that he built more than any other president,) turned out to be yet another lie. There were more built of them during Poroshenko time actually.

Last edited by erasure; 03-31-2021 at 07:32 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 10:00 PM
DKM

Poroshenko was president for 5 years though. So it is correct to say that not as many km of roads has been rebuilt so far but its been under 2 years (with a pandemic slowdown in the middle). The amount underway will far exceed Poroshenko's by the end of this year even, only half way through Ze's term.

As for the claim that the money will be stolen by oligarchs like it is in Russia, this is mostly false. The tenders are open source and electronic (that's online for you boomers). You can read all you want about how much is spent on each project should you find that to be of interest. Some projects went to foreign firms for that reason, because its actually a competitive process. You won't find that in Russia, that is for sure. No billionaires will be made of Ze's friends for overcharging on the bridge projects.

I can also tell you what Ukrainians are saying about this project without reading Russian comments on YouTube. Many were doubters (like hah its not going to happen) but that seems to be changing. There are major projects in every region of the country and in most of the cities. There will always be complainers and political blathering but people are seeing things are finally getting done like those massive bridges which the oligarchs never let get built in all those years...

Fact is, as I've been showing this week with my links, things are not getting worse in Ukraine since the revolution. Russia will have to just keep hating on them and support opposition politicians all the way, but its not working.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:08 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkm View Post
poroshenko was president for 5 years though. So it is correct to say that not as many km of roads has been rebuilt so far but its been under 2 years (with a pandemic slowdown in the middle). The amount underway will far exceed poroshenko's by the end of this year even, only half way through ze's term.

as for the claim that the money will be stolen by oligarchs like it is in russia, this is mostly false. The tenders are open source and electronic (that's online for you boomers). You can read all you want about how much is spent on each project should you find that to be of interest. Some projects went to foreign firms for that reason, because its actually a competitive process. You won't find that in russia, that is for sure. No billionaires will be made of ze's friends for overcharging on the bridge projects.

I can also tell you what ukrainians are saying about this project without reading russian comments on youtube. Many were doubters (like hah its not going to happen) but that seems to be changing. There are major projects in every region of the country and in most of the cities. There will always be complainers and political blathering but people are seeing things are finally getting done like those massive bridges which the oligarchs never let get built in all those years...

Fact is, as i've been showing this week with my links, things are not getting worse in ukraine since the revolution. Russia will have to just keep hating on them and support opposition politicians all the way, but its not working.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:22 PM
DKM

Laugh all you want, people see things are actually getting done. This is a big change to how it used to go. Ukraine isn't rich enough like Russia to let oligarchs steal the money AND things get done. So if its getting built, there isn't much money to steal. In Yanukovich days, projects stopped despite funding due to corrupt schemes. Something your average soviet educated person would not grasp. Some cities are still acting corruptly though. The more east and south, the worse it is.

Last edited by DKM; 03-31-2021 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe