Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 08:54 AM

1,651 posts, read 869,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/22/w...-planning.html

Interesting, that it had been discussed in advance, but the advice was ignored. Now, with new, even more austere, censorship laws in place as of this week, the same people respond to reporters that they cannot give their opinion without running afoul of the law.
To be fair there will always be war dissenters and hawks. Leaders at least the good ones typically surround themselves with people of varying opinions to get the whole perspective. It's the same with business. It's up to the individual to make the decision at the end of the day. So saying someone told you not to do it, isn’t saying much.

Also, I wouldn't make too much into the NY Times. As I stated plenty times on this forum, U.S. and European news sources can't be trusted. They run blatant articles based upon lies, or exaggerations. They are protected to some degree from fact checking, by just saying a foreign source told them so. For true perspective seek news outlets in other nations that don't have a stake in the fight. Best way to avoid misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 10:04 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Also, I wouldn't make too much into the NY Times. As I stated plenty times on this forum, U.S. and European news sources can't be trusted. They run blatant articles based upon lies, or exaggerations. They are protected to some degree from fact checking, by just saying a foreign source told them so. For true perspective seek news outlets in other nations that don't have a stake in the fight. Best way to avoid misinformation.
An interesting article:

Quote:
Four days later, the Washington, DC, medical examiner revealed that Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick had not been murdered by rampaging Trump supporters during the Jan. 6 Capitol Hill riot, as reports had claimed, but had died of natural causes.

Both stories were based on anonymous, unidentifiable sources, but had become deeply enmeshed in the public consciousness. Both confirmed the assumptions of the nation’s left-leaning media and academic elite, while damaging their political enemies.

And both were driven by The New York Times, where malicious misreporting has been the practice for a century, argues journalist and media commentator Ashley Rindsberg.

“My research churned up not mere errors or inaccuracies but whole-cloth falsehoods,” Rindsberg writes in “The Gray Lady Winked” (Midnight Oil), out now, which examines how the nation’s premier media outlet manipulates what we think is the news.

The “fabrications and distortions” he found in the Times’ coverage of major stories from Hitler’s Germany and Stalin’s Russia to Vietnam and the Iraq War “were never the product of simple error,” Rindsberg contends.

“Rather, they were the byproduct of a particular kind of system, a truth-producing machine” constructed to twist facts into a pattern of the Times’ own choosing, he says.

. . . Jump down to. . . .

“And with the Times, it’s never just one false claim,” he said. “They make a concerted effort over time that they dig into and won’t let go.”

The paper’s coverage of Adolf Hitler’s Germany in the decade before World War II is an early example of its narrative manipulation, Rindsberg writes.

So glowing was its picture of the regime that the Nazis regularly included New York Times reports in their own radio programs.

. . . . Jump down to . . .

“When a symbol fits their narrative, they just cannot let it go.”

Similar hallmarks can be seen in the Russian bounties story, which the Times launched on June 26, 2020, Rindsberg said.

“What they were reporting on was an intelligence assessment,” Rindsberg said, a government account that by its very nature is ambiguous and incomplete.

The assessment alleged that a Russian intelligence unit had offered bounties to Taliban-linked militias for killing American and other coalition troops in Afghanistan. But it included no corroborating details on who if anyone had been paid, how much was offered, or even the source of the disclosure.

Nonetheless, “the Times coverage quickly became conclusive,” Rindsberg said. Its initial story was framed in the most absolute of terms, claiming that “American intelligence officials have concluded” that bounties were offered — and that Trump had refused to take action on the information.

“It was circular logic: We know that Trump is colluding with the Russians, therefore he doesn’t do anything about the bounties,” Rindsberg said. “And why doesn’t Trump do anything about the bounties? Because we know he’s colluding with the Russians.”

. . . . . Jump down to . . . .

After at least 30 Times stories and columns linked Brian Sicknick’s death to the actions of the Jan. 6 rioters, news that the medical examiner had punctured the narrative ran on page A12.

“Because they’re protecting the thing that is most valuable to them, their reputation,” Rindsberg said. “And doing it at the expense of the truth.”
https://nypost.com/2021/05/08/how-th...sed-narrative/

Old 03-23-2022, 10:32 AM

572 posts, read 280,366 times
Quote:
That's a very strange proposal.
I don't think so. But I may have misspoke, maybe it's not on the NATO agenda, and is on the G7, or The European Council (as distinct from the Council of Europe) agenda.
If the money gets spent to rebuild Ukraine I can see the issue being tied up in the courts for years, as Russia tries to recover some or all. Apparently oligarchs have legal rights also.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:26 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Odessa is another city with very small russian minority so I see no basis for russia to claim it?? Even more interestingly for me people from my country are the 3rd biggest minority there after Ukrainians and then Russians. All in all it's very ukrainian.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:15 PM

Asterix and Obelix showed them stupid russian soldiers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHpX6_B8ArE

Old 03-23-2022, 01:03 PM

602 posts, read 496,288 times
Quote:
That's a very strange proposal.
It is? How do you propose the rebuilding of Ukraine is financed?

Old 03-23-2022, 01:14 PM

Zelenski is the new Trump, he says it like it is except unlike Trump he is never funny despite his attempts - while Trump was always funny even without trying:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-ne...hildren-women/

On that note, France is the most anti-european country on the continent, their goal has been to bring in as many black african muslims as possible, even Macron said it years ago that he prefers them over "Ukrainian channel smugglers" whatever that means.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:53 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Zelenski is a puppet who says and does what he's told so he's far more like Obama or Biden than Trump. Putin may be more like Trump in that he seems to not care who he offends and says what he thinks, but there's no bluster there. Then again, I'm still heavily leaning towards the opinion Putin is playing a part in this farce and both sides are in collusion. He's been friendly with our deep state fr too long even if it was always to serve his own ends. That's why I refuse to take it seriously and want no part of it. It could very well be all an act meant to drive our country even further down the depths of insolvency. First Covid, now war. Inflation, recession, pandemic, genocide, its madness and we need to stop following our leaders and start putting them in straight jackets and institutions.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:02 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Zelenski is a puppet who says and does what he's told so he's far more like Obama or Biden than Trump. Putin may be more like Trump in that he seems to not care who he offends and says what he thinks, but there's no bluster there. Then again, I'm still heavily leaning towards the opinion Putin is playing a part in this farce and both sides are in collusion. He's been friendly with our deep state fr too long even if it was always to serve his own ends. That's why I refuse to take it seriously and want no part of it. It could very well be all an act meant to drive our country even further down the depths of insolvency. First Covid, now war. Inflation, recession, pandemic, genocide, its madness and we need to stop following our leaders and start putting them in straight jackets and institutions.
Maga? It is one big conspiracy to make you pay more for gas, everybody is in it, only you have no script to play. Keep unraveling that conspiracy from comfort of your basement research station, but watch your back for the globalist operatives, a truth teller like yourself is a target. Trump forever. Over.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:15 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
It is? How do you propose the rebuilding of Ukraine is financed?
The same way the Western support for Ukraine is currently financed? Western taxpayer money. How was the Marshal Plan financed? Not by robbing artworks or other treasures from Germany and other Axis nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe