Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 02:06 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm not interested in propaganda and obscure youtube videos.
That's the point. You are only interested in Western propaganda, and even if you'd be interested in any other information, you wouldn't be able to get it because of the language barrier, so your knowledge of a subject is what Western propaganda would want you to believe.
Under normal circumstance I'd be the first one to turn on BBC before I'd get to any other source of information. But this time around I have no other word but "propaganda" for Western sources of information when it comes to Ukraine. ( Obviously, I am not talking about Russian media in this case, since I rarely use it anyway.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
That pictures was taken by Peter Turnley. 1995 in Grozny, Chechnya. It's not even summer in the picture

Moments of the Human Condition
It happens. The Russian media recently used the images from Iraq talking about the use of incendiary bombs in Ukraine, although there were plenty of REAL images from Ukraine available. So go figure.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:23 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It happens. The Russian media recently used the images from Iraq talking about the use of incendiary bombs in Ukraine, although there were plenty of REAL images from Ukraine available. So go figure.
Oh, I'm aware of the fact that people die in Ukraine. I just think it's pathetic that the people here use photos of a different war and post something along the line of "#savedonbasspeople!!!11" or "100 kids killed during air-raid on school!!!1".

Old 06-15-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Oh, I'm aware of the fact that people die in Ukraine. I just think it's pathetic that the people here use photos of a different war and post something along the line of "#savedonbasspeople!!!11" or "100 kids killed during air-raid on school!!!1".
I never see this kind of false material on rebels site.
In fact they made a point recently about Russian journalists using false images.
They were definitely not happy about it at all.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I never see this kind of false material on rebels site.
In fact they made a point recently about Russian journalists using false images.
They were definitely not happy about it at all.
P.S. And even when they have tendency to exaggerate sometimes the number of deaths among civilians, they usually update the information and correct it. So there the count of dead (both among the fighters and civilians) is pretty accurate. That's why I prefer their site for information for the time being.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:01 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
That's the point. You are only interested in Western propaganda, and even if you'd be interested in any other information, you wouldn't be able to get it because of the language barrier, so your knowledge of a subject is what Western propaganda would want you to believe.
Under normal circumstance I'd be the first one to turn on BBC before I'd get to any other source of information. But this time around I have no other word but "propaganda" for Western sources of information when it comes to Ukraine. ( Obviously, I am not talking about Russian media in this case, since I rarely use it anyway.)
I'm not interested in any propaganda, wether it is Euromaidan PR or anything else. Not all news agencies in Europe are biased or impartial, and they have some journalistic standards to uphold. There is a lot between Rossija24 and Fox News.
For example many Finnish news agencies have had journalists fluent in Russian both on the Crimea and in E Ukraine, and they don't have any reason to even take sides. Propaganda must always have some kind of reason and aim. I don't think Finnish, Swedish, Dutch or Austrian news corporations have any such reason.
I think you personally dismiss every western news as propaganda, because they don't tell the truth you want to hear, especially when it's your mother country that is being critizised.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:27 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,836,989 times
They got what they were asking for. Old video anyway. You have to do better otherwise your bosses might not be satisfied with your performance.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:35 PM

238 posts, read 198,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
They got what they were asking for. Old video anyway. You have to do better otherwise your bosses might not be satisfied with your performance.
I am not sure if you watched this video judging by your reply.
Update. Do not judge all by yourself, I will repeat that I do not have bosses, by the way in my profile is a picture of my Ukrainian passport issued eight years ago in Donetsk. Draw conclusions about the validity of your accusations

Old 06-15-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm not interested in any propaganda, wether it is Euromaidan PR or anything else. Not all news agencies in Europe are biased or impartial, and they have some journalistic standards to uphold. There is a lot between Rossija24 and Fox News.
Yes, there is. But most of them do a poor job when it comes to Ukraine.

Quote:
For example many Finnish news agencies have had journalists fluent in Russian both on the Crimea and in E Ukraine, and they don't have any reason to even take sides.
Of course "they have a reason to take sides" where Russia is involved. Whether they are "fluent in Russian or not," already comes secondary and not all that important.

Quote:
Propaganda must always have some kind of reason and aim. I don't think Finnish, Swedish, Dutch or Austrian news corporations have any such reason.
If they are interested in promoting the idea of "alliance" of Ukraine with EU - of course they have a reason.

Quote:
I think you personally dismiss every western news as propaganda,
I've mentioned somewhere in this thread that I liked what the New York Times was doing in this respect, but then coincidentally I came across the article in some Russian News that the executive editor of that particular newspaper has been fired in May. A coincidence? Don't think so. So what do you know.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/20/bu...esilience.html

Then British media started doing a better job somewhat here and there

BBC News - Ukraine's revolution and the far right

Ukraine must correct its chaotic response - Telegraph

Why both the left and right have got it wrong on Ukraine

But still there is a lot left to be desired when it comes to a subject of Ukraine.

Quote:
because they don't tell the truth you want to hear,
I can "hear" the truth on my own - no problem, since I can read different sources as I've already said, it's just I wish that Western mainstream media would have been doing a better job in this respect.

Quote:
especially when it's your mother country that is being critizised.
For what my "mother country" has been criticized in the West - i.e. "meddling in Ukrainian affairs" I'd love to criticize Putin's government much, much more but in a different sense. I am utterly against the fact that he is getting involved only where it suits the interests of his pocket ( his and his buddies,) and NOT where the national interests of Russians ( and Eastern Ukrainians) are concerned. As I've been saying long time ago already, he is passing the interests of his own pocket for the national interests of Russia.
He is going against the quint-essence of Russia, which is not to serve the golden calf in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe