Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 04:22 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times

Advertisements

@ I share the most of the opinions you expressed above, except on the Donetsk insurgents, whom I deeply admire and respect and who are incredibly courageous, cornered "between a rock and a hard place " as they are.
My own opinion is that Russia should put an end to that middle intensity warfare in invading the Donetsk/ Lugansk regions and integrating the "Donetsk People Republic" into the Russian Federation. The West would whine, pull a tantrum like a misbehaved kid, threaten of sanctions , blackmail ? and then what ? nothing new under the sun; Russia was never popular with the West , neither under the Czars nor the Soviets . It was only popular with the West when it had underwhelming leaders, like Kerensky in 1917 and drunkard Yeltsin in the '90s. The politics of appeasement that Wladimir Putin is practicing right now has not decreased his unpopularity with western medias and hawkish politicians (ask Mrs. Clinton).
Russia should stop having its policies dictated by the West. Russia is not a little child one can bully around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 04:33 AM

847 posts, read 1,179,655 times
Perhaps it's better to improve the live of the people that are already here. On paper that you said might sound "interesting", but in a real world it will be just another one non-recognized region, only with much larger population. Besides even the refugees went to different directions. Some went to the other regions of Ukraine. So, there is no evidence that the majority wants to become a part of our country.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:07 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
We have a great culture. But nowadays we are fuelling the conflict that without our intervention would have been less bloody.
Conflict would be less bloody, if Russia sent troops immediately after the Crimea. The whole world would have roared with anger and imposed sanctions, but thousands of people have been alive.

Quote:
The Eastern regions of our neighbor have been always different from Western and Central. But nobody there fought for separation before this year. Why nobody fought for separation all those years of independence, at least didn't really fight, with the arms, not with the words? Because we didn't fuel that conflict before.
Because Banderovites in Kiev did not suit the military coup and oppressed Russian.
Until March the people said, not guns.

Quote:
Our role in this conflict is a bad one.
You are only interested in your welfare, you're worried about the economy of Russia. But there are people who are worried about their compatriots, who are in trouble.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Perhaps it's better to improve the live of the people that are already here. On paper that you said might sound "interesting", but in a real world it will be just another one non-recognized region, only with much larger population. Besides even the refugees went to different directions. Some went to the other regions of Ukraine. So, there is no evidence that the majority wants to become a part of our country.
Most of the population is not socially active. They do not care, they just want to live. But most of the active population in these regions want to cooperate with Russia.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:32 AM

49 posts, read 73,950 times
What Putin's done with Crimea is horrible, it's an obvious and dirty crime!
He was lying about Russian troops there the whole time, falsified the voting results and he keeps lying.
And now he's trying to invade and occupy Eastern Ukraine, and of course he's not going to admit there are any Russians involved.

But there's a bigger problem, that nobody can stop him.
All those economic sanctions did some damage, as far as I know Russia's already lost billions $. But they don't care, I heard some Russian politicians say "So what? It's still a small price for Crimea".

The current situation reminds me the beginning of WWII: Hitler started with occupation of Austria and Czechoslovakia, nobody stopped him back then, although it was possible and maybe the war would have been prevented.
Now it's the same, Putin's got Crimea, now he's intervening in Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

USA and NATO should stop him RIGHT NOW, before it's too late.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by povar81 View Post
What Putin's done with Crimea is horrible, it's an obvious and dirty crime!
He was lying about Russian troops there the whole time, falsified the voting results and he keeps lying.
And now he's trying to invade and occupy Eastern Ukraine, and of course he's not going to admit there are any Russians involved.

But there's a bigger problem, that nobody can stop him.
All those economic sanctions did some damage, as far as I know Russia's already lost billions $. But they don't care, I heard some Russian politicians say "So what? It's still a small price for Crimea".

The current situation reminds me the beginning of WWII: Hitler started with occupation of Austria and Czechoslovakia, nobody stopped him back then, although it was possible and maybe the war would have been prevented.
Now it's the same, Putin's got Crimea, now he's intervening in Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

USA and NATO should stop him RIGHT NOW, before it's too late.
You are from Finland or Slovakia?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:40 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Many Russians like Finland. Otherwise they would not come here. Plenty of Russians in Helsinki and especially in the souhteastern part in cities like Kotka and Hamina. Usually they go to food stores like S-market, Alepa, Valintatalo and Lidl. Some Russian have started to buy up small parcel of land with a summer cabin with access to a lake.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
Many Russians like Finland.
Yes, but many Finns don't like Russians.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:01 AM

49 posts, read 73,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
What? No, I'm from Ukraine, I was born in Kyiv, but then lived in Russia's North for some time.
But what made you think so?

Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by povar81 View Post
What? No, I'm from Ukraine, I was born in Kyiv, but then lived in Russia's North for some time.
But what made you think so?
Because it is not true:

"And now he's trying to invade and occupy Eastern Ukraine, and of course he's not going to admit there are any Russians involved."

Yes, small part the militants have volunteers from Russia (mostly former colleagues in the army). Yes, the border with Russia is not closed, caravans go, transported the wounded, refugees, few weapons. But it is not Putin's plan. He did not start this war. You yourself are destroying Ukraine. And drag Russia into the abyss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe