Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 AM

261 posts, read 256,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think as long as Russia felt its port is secure, they do not care. being closer to the EU does not put the port in danger, but having a radical government does. Ukraine has been constantly getting closer and closer to the EU, even with Yanukovich.

But I think the entire premises of the revolt is what alerted Russia. While everyone screams "Hitler, Hitler! took Austria!", there are also numerous cases where a group has taken power, and oppressed other groups in the country; that scenario has happened much more often than the "Hitler takes Austria" scenario. My opinion is the new gov sure as heck did not take actions that proved otherwise it did not have oppression on its mind.

Another what-if scenario; what if Russia did not intervene, and the new gov went on a rampage against the ethnic Russian (and others) population? What would have bee the West's actions then? What would be the West's actions if they intervened?

put UNO in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
It seems there is no doubt that Russian forces are occupying Crimea, contrary to what Putin says. I just saw in the news that a Russian ship was deliberately sunk to hinder Ukrainian navy ship access. (What is the current status of the Ukrainian military in Crimea, by the way?)

Given that ethnic Russians comprise about 60% of the Crimean population, did the Ukrainian government ever consider this as a possible threat before the actual crisis occurred? To extend this issue to other parts of the world, could growing minority groups be problematic for a nation? For example, the increasing Hispanic population in the southwestern United States...

---------------
on another note: I am curious why there is plenty western media coverage of the Ukraine crisis even though there are similar conflicts/protests/bloodshed currently occurring in Syria, Thailand (Bangkok), and Venezuela.

Cheat sheet: Protests rock Ukraine, Venezuela, Thailand - CNN.com

Could it be that the western media chooses to cover the Ukraine situation more because Russia, a G8 summit member, is involved?

ahh, come on.
2 world powers, nukes, cold war ,
NATO vs. Warsaw pakt, SALT,START, the main subject of post WW2 power struggle

Old 03-07-2014, 12:28 AM

199 posts, read 336,635 times
^ but it seems like the western media is trying to trick americans that this may revive the cold war (or ww3), etc.

BBC appears to be biased as well.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 AM

botticelli wrote:
> Did you EU consider it "illegal" when the US bombed Serbia? Or invaded Iraq?

yes.

> International laws is only used when the EU find it convenient to. What a bunch of hypocrits.
> The double standard of western countries never ceases to amaze me.

it was a bit debatable with Serbia,Iraq - UNO had critisized Serbia and Iraq before
and called for action, but the details of intervention were not directly authorized.
In this case however it was a secret intervention without even discussing it with UNO
and violating multiple international laws and almost all law-experts seem to agree on that.

>> You're right and I am totally agree with you on this one.
>> Sometimes I have a strong feeling that some of these euro-commissars are just like
>> demon-possessed.
>> And same thing with McCain, Nuland, Obama and others.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
^ but it seems like the western media is trying to trick americans that this may revive the cold war (or ww3), etc.

BBC appears to be biased as well.

it could have negative impact on nuclear arms reduction talks, although I didn't see
this mentioned yet.
I remember when Obama came to Berlin his main agenda was a new arms reduction offer
to Russia, then Snowden, then Ukraine, now I don't hear them talking about that

-----------------------------------
19.06.2013 - US President Barack Obama called for a major new push to
reduce the world's nuclear arsenal on Wednesday
"reduce our deployed nuclear weapons by up to one third."
"Fewer nuclear weapons and effective global rules on nuclear non-proliferation
are decisive steps towards 'Global Zero' -- a world without nuclear weapons,"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Zero_(campaign)
also pushed by Medvedev

Last edited by gsgsgs; 03-07-2014 at 01:06 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 02:24 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,616,985 times
U.S. has repeatedly creates revolution in other countries. And always support illegal power!! Want the truth?

Steven Seagal talks about Russia coverage of crisis in Ukraine - YouTube

In many cities of Russia held rallies in support of the people of Ukraine and Crimea . Many citys residents were offered jobs for (housing(people) Ukraine )in Russia. the Crimea will be included back into Russia. To do this, arrived in Moscow the legitimate authorities of the Crimea.After the referendum - which will be made of Crimean residents vote in favor of joining or not, will address the issue of inclusion of Russia . Moscow decided for joining after the referendum .Crimean residents can no longer endure bullying that lasted more than 20 years the Russian - speaking - people.The new authorities in Kiev illegal and fascist that violates all human rights and the constitution of Ukraine. For this reason, the Nazis wear masks on the face, fearing violence and show the true face . Many residents of Ukraine confirmed that the so-called maydanovtsy receive money from the U.S. government for the unrest in the country

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-07-2014 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 03-07-2014, 02:40 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
U.S. has repeatedly creates revolution in other countries. And always support illegal power!! Want the truth?
So what you are saying is, all international law shall be ignored. Nice one!

Edit: Now I saw that you linked to a video of RT where they, the masters of governmental propaganda, are complaining about the objectivity of western media. The "expert" talking: Steven Seagal. Had a great laugh, thanks

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-07-2014 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: Orpahned-Response to edited post

Old 03-07-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
So what you are saying is, all international law shall be ignored. Nice one!

Edit: Now I saw that you linked to a video of RT where they, the masters of governmental propaganda, are complaining about the objectivity of western media. The "expert" talking: Steven Seagal. Had a great laugh, thanks
Think what you want, but this channel is telling the truth.If you are not a stupid person can follow any responses to tie all the horses and to determine where the truth is a lie.disprove even a single word of it?

Old 03-07-2014, 03:17 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Think what you want, but this channel is telling the truth.If you are not a stupid person can follow any responses to tie all the horses and to determine where the truth is a lie.disprove even a single word of it?
While I hope that there still are some credible news sources in Russia, I have to say that RT and a couple of other news stations seem to be completely off the hook... They are pretty much "Fox News"-crazy by now...

https://globalvoicesonline.org/2014/...ths-on-crimea/

Old 03-07-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
While I hope that there still are some credible news sources in Russia, I have to say that RT and a couple of other news stations seem to be completely off the hook... They are pretty much "Fox News"-crazy by now...

https://globalvoicesonline.org/2014/...ths-on-crimea/
I do not know about it, I think you know better there. But all that said Stephen truth and reality. This man knows a lot about politics and Russia. no matter that he had worked for the U.S. government. Apart from that I have great respect for this man, although to meet in real life has not turned out. I also practiced aikido for many years and our Aikido Federation knew him personally.

You should understand that many people in Russia have relatives in Ukraine. for example in Siberia every third resident has 3 relatives and friends. We do not believe in the Russian news blindly. We know how to determine the truth and lies. we are not subjected zombie, as it happens in most of the West. We can always connect with friends and relatives and find out the real situation. Is not it possible you do not understand?

We are civilized and educated people and act within the UN as opposed aggressive methods USA. That do not respect human rights and the UN agreement . As for Europe, they behave like domestic animals obeying the orders of the United States. Why the EU and the U.S. wants to impose sanctions against Russia ? because Russia does not support the genocide in Ukraine? Because Russia unsupported illegitimate power ? because Russia wants to help their brothers and sisters ? But it's funny to do so because Europe depends on Russia . Why then not take retaliatory sanctions against the EU ? We will block the gas, oil , close the market. How do you think will suffer the most ? Germany feeds EU . Russia to Germany is an important partner , because Russia is a very large market for German cars and not only. Romania , Latvia is also very hurt. It turns out that Europe and the United States support Fascism . Many accused me here . That I supposedly nationalist, though it is not. So why do you keep nationalists in Ukraine? This means that most of you nationalists ?

Last edited by GreyKarast; 03-07-2014 at 04:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe