Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 08:08 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
movingwiththewind
They didn't live in the same large country, where we all lived. I don't say I want it all again, but a lot of people, those of the older generation or even some of the youngsters think that that large country wasn't so bad. And you can't deny that there are some ties between us, even if they are not so strong now.
Of course, I'm not denying that. And I agree with you saying, let's the people decide, whatever the outcome is!

However, I'm not sure, why the referendum should take place right now, in the next couple of days. That doesn't make sense (or does it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,036 times
Kissinger:

Henry Kissinger: To settle the Ukraine crisis, start at the end - The Washington Post

Quote:
Ukraine should have the right to choose freely its economic and political associations, including with Europe.2. Ukraine should not join NATO, a position I took seven years ago, when it last came up.

I subscribe to this point of view.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM

"10:08: The pro-Russian mayor of the Crimean port of Sevastopol says the city will not take part in the Ukrainian presidential election scheduled for 25 May, Interfax-Ukraine news agency reports. Alexei Chaly, elected to the newly created position of chairman of Sevatopol's executive committee by a rally on 23 February, is quoted as saying: "Sevastopol refuses to take part in the election imposed by the illegitimate authorities."

BBC News - LIVE: Ukraine crisis: Crimean Russia vote

Of course, they won't. There will be no need for that, as by 25th of May, they will be a part of Russia!

"10:11: "The parliament of Crimea has adopted a motion for Crimea to join Russia. It has asked the Russian president and parliament to consider this request," a member of the parliament's leadership, Grigoriy Ioffe, tells AFP."

"10:09: Crimea's parliament has unanimously voted in favour of becoming part of Russia, the RIA news agency quoted by Reuters says. "

Old 03-06-2014, 08:31 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,036 times
movingwiththewind
I think other countries should oppose that, but take Kissinger's advices into considereration.

Annexation - no. Autonomy - yes.

Neutral status -yes, Kharkiv pact - yes.

And then put political pressure, if someone doesn't want to deal.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Quote:
And then put political pressure, if someone doesn't want to deal.
muscovite...

From Vesti Nedeli: Announcer: '..events in Kiev were a cocktail of revolutinary fervor ecstasy and criminal disorder and..
'Experts are more and more comparing the actions of these nationalists with those who came to power in Grmany in the 30's'.

No little pressure there. You know I think 'extremes' can verge on the pathological. I see a bit square pegs forcing themselves into round holes. Dredging all that suffering up is provocation of the vilest sort to turn one against the other.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I don't understand how Ukraine, a big state the size of Texas, can't get over the loss of a small region like Crimea (the size of Vermont).

Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I don't understand how Ukraine, a big state the size of Texas, can't get over the loss of a small region like Crimea (the size of Vermont).
Would would happen if tomorrow Vermont decides to leave the Union to join Canada?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 AM

"12:33: Russia is planning an "annexation" of Crimea and other parts of Ukraine, opposition Russian politician Leonid Gozman tells a meeting of centre-right EU politicians in Dublin, PA reports. "The majority of Russians support our aggression in Crimea, the majority of Russians are very happy that we are planning to bring an annexation of Crimea and other parts of Ukraine," Mr Gozman says."

Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 AM

"13:16: EU delegation to Ukraine head Ian Tombinskyy - speaking on proposals for a referendum in Crimea - says that under article 73 of the Ukrainian Constitution, issues relating to the alteration of the territory of Ukraine must be resolved exclusively by an all-Ukrainian referendum - "so it's quite clear that [a] referendum in only part of Ukraine is not a way to decide about it".

"13:26: A decree making Crimea part of Russia is already in force and Ukrainian troops still on its territory will be treated as occupiers and forced to surrender or leave, Crimea's deputy prime minister is quoted by Reuters as saying. "The only lawful armed force on the territory of the Crimea is the Russian armed forces," Rustam Temirgaliev is reported to have said."

Wow!

How pathetic and predictible!

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 03-06-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 10:23 AM

261 posts, read 256,639 times
history will prove that Putin was on the wrong side of truth ;-)
who comes after Putin ?

will there be nukes in Crimea ?

what will be the status wrt. 1994BM , if USA,UK,Ukraine don't recognize it ?

however, Kerry just said he is optimistic for a solution - several ideas were on the table
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe