Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 08:08 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,759 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys and Gals! Tonight I cooked for Papa. My dad came down hungry, but I was not planning dinner.We went out to eat earlier. I took what I thought was chicken out of the freezer. It turned out to be thin sliced pork chops. I had chicken fried steak in mind... it became pork fried steak Mashed potato, Country gravy, and spinache with balsamic viniger. Time to clean up Lacey your peppers sound wonderful. Good night all. I am still waiting for the kitchen fairy to surprise me he he he......

Old 10-18-2008, 09:51 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Skbs -- love salt potatoes! BF is in New York right now for his grandmother's funeral/burial and I want some salt potatoes! I also want some Heluva Good creamy salsa dip. Wonder if he can bring some back on the plane........

Anyway, my baked ravioli turned out to be kind of a quicky lasagna. I had some onion, garlic, and fresh mushrooms to use up, so I sauteed them and added some jarred marinara sauce. Then I added some basil and a handful of our cherry tomatoes. While that was simmering, I boiled the cheese raviolis for a few minutes while digging through the fridge. Found a half container of ricotta that needed to be used, plus some parsley. Added a few pesto "cubes" from my freezer.....

Took a square baking dish and put some pasta sauce on the bottom. Added a layer of the ravioli and then a few dollops of ricotta scattered about. Topped with more sauce and another layer of ravioli. More marinara and the rest of the ricotta along with the pesto cubes.

Baked for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven and viola -- dinner! Very tasty too. I only wish I had some mozzarella to add in and some garlic bread to go with. At least dinner tomorrow (and lunch probably too) is taken care of!
Oh, so sorry to hear about his gma... that is so sad... but if he is bringing food back because of it you have him ship back Savoia's cookies....just my own suggestion... wishing I had some at the moment personally....

Old 10-18-2008, 10:13 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
MidwesternBookWorm

When you have settled on what your ordering at Lulu's please tell us how it was and what it was....I am not familiar with Middle Eastern food.

Enjoy the concert!
Elston, I suspect you may be a lot more familiar with some Middle-Eastern foods than you think. Have you ever had hummus? Pita bread? Tabbouleh? Falafel? All those would qualify as Middle-Eastern.

LuLu's is all that and a lot more. It's been around for at least 25 years, and is owned and run by a large family from Lebanon. Their menu includes Arab dishes, Moroccan food, Lebanese food, some dishes that are more Greek than anything else, and then some. Wonderful stuff, all of it.

Middle-Eastern food tends to be seasoned with sour things. Lemon juice, sumac powder and yogurt are all commonly found ingredients. Spicing is usually complex and nuanced, though not necessarily hot-spicy. Legumes are used a lot, and lamb and chicken are the most frequently used meats, though beef is used as well.

Tonight's supper was a good example. We all four started with the lentil soup, a dish we love so much that the spouse spent months trying to duplicate the recipe at home. He did a pretty good job of it, actually; if you're interested, it's on the fourth page of the "frugal recipes" thread. The daughter's sig-other was a bit taken aback at first by the dominant lemon/sumac flavor in the soup, but quickly decided he liked it.

We all went in different directions for the main course. I had hummus bel-lammeh, which is spiced ground beef with toasted pine nuts and whole chickpeas over hummus. Hummus, of course, is a mixture of ground chickpeas, tahini (ground sesame seeds), lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. It comes with a side of tabbouleh (comprised of bulgar, chopped parsley and mint, tomatoes and olive oil), and is one of my favorite dishes at LuLu's.

The spouse had Arabic lamb moussaka'a, which is very, very different from the Greek version. Greek mousssaka'a is a layered casserole-type thing with potatoes, eggplant, ground meat (beef and/or lamb), seasonings, a white sauce like a bechamel, and cheese. Arabic moussaka'a is more of a stew; the sauce is a tomato-based one, and there isn't any cheese. It still includes eggplant and other vegetables, came with a side of rice, and the spouse was very happy with his selection.

Daughter had beef shawirma with yalenjee and hummus. The beef shawirma at LuLu's is thin strips of beef cooked in a yogurt-based sauce, very tasty and very rich, topped with sliced onions. Yalenjee are stuffed grape leaves, what you'd call dolmades at a Greek restaurant. They're stuffed with a rice mixture, and here too, the dominant seasoning is lemon juice.

The daughter's sig-other had never been to a Middle-Eastern restaurant before, and was a bit uncertain what to order, but eventually settled on shish taouk with cous-cous, which he liked very much. Shish taouk is chicken breast pieces seasoned with spices and grilled, a good choice for someone who isn't terribly familiar with Middle-Eastern cuisine. The plate came with hummus, and he was rather non-plused by his first bite, as he thought looking at it that it was mashed potatoes. However, after thinking about it a bit, he allowed as how it wasn't too bad as a dip for pita bread.

We were all pretty full after eating dinner, but the prospect of leaving LuLu's without the traditional bite of Arabic baklava was simply unthinkable. So we split a piece four ways. Arabic baklava has the filo dough pastry like the Greek variety, but is less heavily laden with honey. It's still full of nuts and still very sweet, but the honey doesn't drip off your chin when you're finished.

Elston, if you can find a good Middle-Eastern restaurant out there in Maine, give it a shot; I think you'd enjoy it a good deal. Your partner might find it even more of a cultural leap than stuffed cabbage leaves, but then again, he might like it a lot, too. And if you can't find a good place to try in Maine, head on out to Madison the next time you take a vacation, and have a meal at LuLu's!

Old 10-19-2008, 02:04 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,389,111 times
This week I watched the food network for hours and hours. So I came up with crèpes stuffed with ground meat, onion and maybe some cheese in a creamy white wine sauce.

Happy Sunday to all of you!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:15 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
MWB

Thnk you for the wonder review of LuLu's it sounds great....I have had some Lebanese items before...I believe it was in Washington DC. or perhaps Georgetown...at a popular resturant and I believe I got a sampler selection....I like the foods.....I just am totallly unfamiliar with the names of the foods.

There is a lebanese owned resturant that we went to in Portland....there is a hint of middle east cookery in their very fun and eclectic menu...Silly's and the decor is totally silly! We used to frequent a greek resturant in Ca....and would usually go with the specials as recommended by the owner/chef....so had a variety of delicious foods. I am very partial to lamb and usually wait and get it at a greek resturant....they know how to cook it and I really don't.

Thanks again....I loved your descriptions.

Last edited by elston; 10-19-2008 at 05:26 AM..

Old 10-19-2008, 05:25 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,046,835 times
Good morning everyone. Looks like it's meat loaf tonight! I was hoping for one more barbeque before the end of the season, but I think the season has just ended. It's 35 degrees here and my wife and daughter are headed up to a 5-K charity walk where it's 29 degrees! Dreams of barbeque will just have to wait until the spring!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
I really wish y'all hadn't brought up middle eastern food! I dearly love indian cuisine but unfortunately where we now live it'd be easier to find a diamond in my back yard than to get any type of indian food.
I do miss nann bread and all the lunch buffets, maybe it's time for a road trip to CA to load up!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:42 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Morning all-I for one am so happy and lucky to have been brought up and worked in NYC and had the chance to experience so many cultures via the food. Greek,Indian,Portuguese, Chinatown, MidEastern and fantastic Italian plus more.

Out here there is no diversity in the food. If it's not fried or covered in Velveeta they don't like it.

Have beans soaking for soup for tomorrow. Today top round slow roasted w/vegs.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Mornin' everyone! Lacey, as usual your peppers sound great. I must try putting the Parmesan in them next time---sounds so good! Our stuffed green peppers that I froze and thawed for dinner last night tasted as good as the day I made them. I was happy because I did it a bit different then I use to do. Worked out well!
Tonihgt is Hickory sweet pork tenderlion. Think I'll put some slits in it and put garlic slices in the slits before I bake it. I'll have some baked sweet potatoes and green beans to go with it. If my neighbors get back soon enough with those apples they are bringing us I'll make some kind of applesauce/stewed apples to go with it. I was sort of hoping hubby would grill tonight but it's suppose to go down the the mid 30's tonight and it's cold this morning so he isn't very interested in being out in the cold. Hopefully we will still get a few good grilling days before winter truely sets in!
Amber, that was so sweet of you to make dinner just for your dad! I know he appreciates it! You're a good daughter!
As much as we don't like shopping on the weekends looks like we are going to have to! Out of cat food!! Maybe while we're there I will see some goodies for dinners this week!

Old 10-19-2008, 07:02 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Cyn lining the inside with parm was a last minute light bulb-it really made a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink