Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 07:03 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times

Advertisements

I love this thread. When I have some more time I'll have to catch up to everyone and try some of your wonderful recipes.

Lisa

Old 10-19-2008, 07:53 AM

849 posts, read 1,953,533 times
MWBW, Thank you for the description of dishes from LuLu's. There is nothing I like better than reading about foods...oh, yeah eating, but after eating there's nothing I like better than...so anyway thank you! I've had some Greek foods and I used to have a friend from Jordan who was a very good cook, but I've ever been to a Middle Eastern restaurant. There is one not too far from my house, I should try their lunch menu for a trial run.

I wish I knew what was for dinner tonight. I may have to stop by at Costco's after church for some meats. All I have is chicken, turkey and ground beef.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:59 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Celebrating my mom's 58th today... throwing her a party at my house with her mom and brother's family. Should be a fun time. Her brother is much younger than her and his wife is just two years older than my hubby! LOL.... Our kids are the same ages!!!! Actually... My youngest is older than MY youngest cousin... SO, My grandmother's YOUNGEST GRANDCHILD is younger than her YOUNGEST GREAT GRANDCHILD> did you get that? LOL She is one of Five but the others are either out of town or busy... so it is a small little get together tonight over pizza and REAL BUFFALO WINGS (since we are WNYers)....with white BDAY cake with White buttercream frosting (mom's favorite) with football in the family room, chit chat in the kitchen, and hard core playing in the basement... as it should be!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:43 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,746,160 times
Soup is on......

Good Morning everyone. skbs have a great day with your Mom and family. Sounds like fun.
Elston a bit chilly here today but not like Maine. I think itis about 42 here. No frost yet for us.
All this talk about Middle Eastern food. Yum.

Cyn........you go girl! Sounds like you are cooking up a storm.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:32 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Today we're going to have chopped up sirloin tacos, in corn tortillas with onion, cilantro, and some red chile-garlic sauce I made last week.

Hope everybody is having a great weekend.

Go Chargers!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:37 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,241 times
Last night was baked pork chops, rice and peas. I'm not sure what I'll make for tonight though.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:58 AM

849 posts, read 1,953,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Today we're going to have chopped up sirloin tacos, in corn tortillas with onion, cilantro, and some red chile-garlic sauce I made last week.

Hope everybody is having a great weekend.

Go Chargers!
That sounds so yummy. How did you make your sauce?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:24 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,695 times
Morning all, tonight for dinner chicken fajitas with all the fixings. YUM!!! Son lost his game last night, again!!! So we drowned our sorrows in ice cream.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
That sounds so yummy. How did you make your sauce?
I'm not sure exactly how I made it as I haven't mastered hot sauce yet and am still experimenting.

I put maybe 4-5 dried guajillos (smokiness, milder) and 5-7 chiles de arbol (heat) in my blender and poured boiling water over to cover. Let them soak for 15-20 minutes.

Pour the water out, reserving it. Add 1 Tablespoon good olive oil, 4 big cloves of garlic, 1 tomato, salt and pepper and mexican or regular oregano to taste, you could also add some lime juice if you want. Add some of the reserved water to make the level of liquidity you prefer, blend until smooth.

I think it tastes good at this point, but it's even better if you put it in a saucepan and simmer it for 5-10 minutes before putting it away.

I usually have used a small can of tomato sauce, but that day I had a past it's prime tomato I wanted to use up.

This sauce is nice drizzled over tacos or the melting cheese of a quesadilla. It's probably pretty hot for some palates, and not nearly enough for some real chile heads out there! You can vary the heat level by the amount of chiles you use, naturally.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:23 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I really wish y'all hadn't brought up middle eastern food! I dearly love indian cuisine but unfortunately where we now live it'd be easier to find a diamond in my back yard than to get any type of indian food.
I do miss nann bread and all the lunch buffets, maybe it's time for a road trip to CA to load up!
Is the nann bread the one that puffs up like a balloon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink