Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:48 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times

Advertisements

I've seen a California plate in a small town of 15,000 in Yorkshire, England - presumably a real one since the steering wheel was on the wrong side of the car for this country. God knows what it was doing there. I saw a Ferrari with Russian plates on it in London quite recently, pretty obviously Mafia. There must be a lot of haulage companies in the Netherlands because it's very common to see NL plates on long-distance trucks over here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,019 times
I forgot to say that you see almost all the Northeastern states here, but you see just as many from Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and others because of all the people from those states that vacation here.

Some weeks during the summer, it seems like it is Cincinnati or Cleveland South with all of the Ohio tags. I've seen local Cincinnati HS bumper stickers. I've also seen most of the counties in Georgia.

You don't see much west of Louisiana or Mississippi.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:30 PM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
That's hard because I live in the middle of the country. Although its fun to see different plates because we don't get many visitors here. I think California is the furthest I have seen. Maybe a few Florida ones too.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:00 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
I don't know if this was a joke, but at the WV State Fair this year, I walked by a truck with Hawaii Plates. It was parked in the lot just like everybody else.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I don't know if this was a joke, but at the WV State Fair this year, I walked by a truck with Hawaii Plates. It was parked in the lot just like everybody else.
There are plenty of cars driving around the lower 48 with Hawaii tags. Many of them are military folks I would think. I have seen Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico and USVI tags, too.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
We see Alaska plates here all the time. I always attributed this to the oil and gas industry. Also not strange to see plates from various parts of Canada. Also see them from Hawaii occasionally, as well as American Samoa and Guam, but I'm sure that's because of Tinker Air Force Base being located here.

While living in Houston it I would occasionally see plates from various parts of Europe.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,949 times
Saw a Vermont plate in California. I see quite a few Canadian tags on big rigs, but generally just for some of the western provinces directly north of here.

Tribal plates are not all that uncommon in certain states, like Oklahoma. Most of those are not from reservations, the tribes have tags available for their members who live in whatever part of the state the tribe calls home. The Cherokee for example have a 14-county area in their jurisdiction, so any tribal member who lives in one of those counties can get a tribal tag. I know at least five or six other tribes in the state have tags too.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Once, and only that one time, here in Brooklyn I saw a Wyoming plate.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
When I was living in New Brunswick, Canada, I drove to San Salvador, El Salvador. When I got up in the morning, I saw the New Brunswick plate on my own car, and I guess that was it.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I live in NJ, but I was once visiting relatives in Maine and there was a car in front of me with a Hawaii license plate. I have no idea how that one happened! That's probably about as far a stretch between states as you can get, with a lot of water thrown in, too.

In NJ, Florida plates are very common. Lots of snowbirds.

From the northern end, we see Quebec plates. A lot of people from Montreal come to the Jersey shore in the summer.
I see quite a few FL plates here in MN in the summer time. Yup, snowbirds. Declare yourself a FL resident to escape MN's income tax but live here six months minus one day per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.