Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 12:14 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times

Advertisements

I've seen one or two Jalisco state tags (Mexico) in Savannah and here in Atlanta. For those that don't know, Jalisco is the home state of Guadalajara in the central part of Mexico. I've also seen British Columbia and Nova Scotia tags down here as well. All the above mentioned are the rarest to see around here. At least from what I've seen.

Rarest American plates around here are North Dakota, South Dakota and Hawaii. In that order.
Most common Canadian tag I've seen here is, of course, Ontario. I'm pretty sure I see more Ontario tags here than California plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Here's a question: When you are driving in a state far away from where your plates are from, do you feel like you have a, (excuse the expression), tag on your back? In other words, are you cognizant that others are perceiving you as someone "not from around here"? I have felt this at various times...

Old 09-16-2011, 12:32 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Here's a question: When you are driving in a state far away from where your plates are from, do you feel like you have a, (excuse the expression), tag on your back? In other words, are you cognizant that others are perceiving you as someone "not from around here"? I have felt this at various times...
I have. I don't mind it. Its almost fun to be that one car that sticks out. (for example: last summer I rented a car in Savannah with a South Carolina plate and drove it to Las Vegas and California) ...That trip also made me aware to look around for other tags of the same state. I ended up seeing about 2 or 3 of other car tags from S.C. while I was in Vegas.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:12 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
I've seen California plates in New England...

Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
In SF i've seen: Hawaii, Alaska, Florida, Maine, Canadian and Mexican plates (ones i can remember: Ontario, Alberta, Quebec, British Columbia, Baja California, Michoacan, Sonora, Jalisco), and i've seen European plates as well. I don't think there's a US state plate that i haven't seen in SF at least once before, except for maybe a few of the southern states. It's probably the same in any big city with lots of tourists and immigrants.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I've seen California plates in New England...
California plates are seen just about everywhere! What I like seeing are small states that are far from home.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I have noticed a Hawaii License Plate in Virginia a few months ago. The entire time I thought to myself how inefficient that was...it would probably be a lot cheaper to sell your car in Hawaii and then buy one rather than pay to transport it and then drive it to Virginia. Not sure if these people were tourists or had relocated...
They may have had the car shipped all the way to VA. If it was job related, their employer may have paid for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Yes. We used to drive from Colorado to PA a lot to visit the fam, then take a side trip to say, Canada or Delaware. It felt kind of strange going to the beach in DE with those CO plates. Only once or twice did anyone ask us about it, though.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 PM

441 posts, read 885,842 times
saw an Alaska plate outside the supermarket once...

Old 09-18-2011, 02:42 PM

576 posts, read 1,218,307 times
seen california plates in connecticut and ill say its not rare

Old 09-18-2011, 06:33 PM

Yeah, CA plates are not rare anywhere due to their huge population.

Texas, also with a huge population are not seen quite as much, atleast in my neck of the woods in the Rocky Mountains. Perhaps that is due to a strong Texas economy, and when that happens, folks don't tend to wander.

Back in the 80's, there was a huge influx of Michigan plates into Texas. This is still probably happening, but at a decreased rate.

As for plates themselves, any opinions on the best looking US plate? I kinda like the new Texas plate, but also like the simple blue and white plates of Missouri and Kentucky. CA needs to do something new, the current plate is almost 20 years old now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.