Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Agreed. Marijuana has numerous valid medicinal uses. There is evidence that the use of hemp oil can treat and in some instances even cure cancer. I don't drink or smoke or use drugs but I would absolutely try marijuana for medical reason if the need arose. I have done a lot of reading surrounding the research and from what I have learned so far, it is one of the least harmful drugs out there. Far less harmful then alcohol, cigarettes and many prescription drugs. I also don't knock people who use it responsible for recreation. Some people like wine, some people like pot. As long as they are being responsible, it does not bother me.
And, may I add, far less harmful than any chemotherapy drug? Some people cannot tolerate them and won't comply--others have used them and developed a resistance to them and then they are forced to seek a more natural solution and for some people this has been the solution and it has worked.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:51 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
And, may I add, far less harmful than any chemotherapy drug? Some people cannot tolerate them and won't comply--others have used them and developed a resistance to them and then they are forced to seek a more natural solution and for some people this has been the solution and it has worked.
Agreed. I've read interesting things regarding people treating (and curing!) cancer with hemp oil. I would definitely try it if I had a cancer diagnosis.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,819 times
The point of my thread is to rebuke the ignorant statement that pot is harmless by some people. It does not say legalization is a bad thing. Some people believe everything they read. The only reason it is legal is for the revenue it will generate.
Just like alcohol there will be many irresponsible people who abuse it and cause harm or "misfortune" to others. There are going to be numerous other side effects from it. I believe in personal responsibility. The legal age should be 25 to buy it in my opinion.
Not everyone is mature at 18 or 21 or whatever it is. It is not healthy for immature people to drink or take drugs as they do not know themselves yet.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Who are these fictional liberals of which you speak?

I find the simplistic labeling of people as "liberals," "illegals," et al offensive.
I find "political correctness" a fraud as nothing political is correct.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:08 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Most any addict will make excuses to defend and justify their addictive habit. There is nothing wrong with the plant itself but the problem lies with the typical potheads attitude, lifestyle and choices. Anyone who says it it harmless is either ignorant, a liar or both. Any plant or herb can be toxic and have adverse affects if abused.
America is a country of overindulgence. Interesting experiment CO has going there.

It's just disgusting how people can say it is totally harmless.
As a (medically legal but regular) smoker myself, I have to ask - what exactly do you think my "attitude, lifestyle, and choices" are? Curious to hear, since I'm pretty sure my "all of the above" is no different than most non-smokers.

Also:

1. I don't think anyone claims it is 100% HARMLESS, just as I don't claim the cupcake I just ate was harmless. But I enjoy having the freedom to eat said cupcake, and feel adults should be free to use other potentially self-harming substances. In terms of comparative harm, however, pot is still better than so many of the legal ones (alcohol, cigarettes, etc) - especially when you consider the alternative methods of use, like vaporizing or eating marijuana.

2. This is no longer a liberal vs conservative attitude, considering the majority of American on both sides now support legalization; at the very least for medical use, but even support for recreational legalization is growing rapidly. Haven't checked any stats in a while, but it was probably around 60-70% in favor last time I looked... so if our country is less than 50% liberal, your numbers don't add up here. And for the record, I'm a political independent with left/libertarian-ish leanings.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-12-2014 at 09:16 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,399,070 times
You know what's even more harmful to people's lives than pot? Putting them in prison.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
That is exactly what I've been wondering - how does the determination of "under the influence" be enforced?
Field sobriety tests, professional judgment, and they have developed tests to determine current levels of intoxication... not sure if they're being used yet, but I remember reading a few articles on it.

Quote:
If it's legal - will individual employers still be able to prohibit it from the workplace?
Alcohol is legal for adults over 21... do you know of many employers who allow drunkenness on the job? Marijuana is legal for medical use (prescriptions for which can be obtained by anyone with $50) here in California, and employers are still free to test if they want - just as they can also test for alcohol and nicotine, as I'm pretty sure Kaiser does now.

So most likely it will be left up to the employers, and if a business/institution decides they don't want to hire pot smokers, they can make that call themselves. Thankfully mine doesn't care, as long as we're not intoxicated AT work.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Smoking (inhaling poisonous gases) anything is harmful. Doesn't matter whether it is less harmful or more harmful than alcohol; that's a fool's argument.
Which is why many users now choose to vaporize or eat their marijuana. Can you explain the harm in THOSE methods?

Quote:
Calling the legalization of pot "medical marijuana" is just a scam cooked up by those who want to smoke pot.
Can't argue with that. It's truly ridiculous, and here in CA, has just been a sneaky and less lucrative manner of legalizing for all adults. I've had a medical prescription for almost a decade, and not once has anyone asked for evidence of my (actually existing) conditions. "Got $50? Here's your script!"

That being said, you also cannot deny it DOES have medical benefits for certain people... like those with terminal cancer, AIDs, etc, who are kept comfortable (and arguably alive longer, since it fights wasting) thanks to medical marijuana. The fact that many "medical users" just want to do it recreationally doesn't negate this.

Quote:
Liberals, it seems, are incapable of honesty, and must disguise their self indulgent desires as simple concern for others.
Poppycock. They just want to smoke pot.
I'm pretty liberal, and will be the first to admit I smoke it because it feels good... sure, it can also help with aches & pains, but I do it mostly for recreational purposes. So yeah, you can drop the dumb partisan nonsense.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It isn't harmless and anyone who has some need to mess up their minds with mind-altering drugs needs to wonder what is going on in their lives that they feel that need.
I don't need it, I just want it. Do you NEED everything you enjoy doing? And I'm betting you don't live a life of complete "purity," since basically everyone in the world has a vice or two.

As for what's going on in my life, ummmm, I just got a promotion and three raises in one month? That's about it, aside from dealing with my father's illness - but that is a more recent development, while I smoked pot for the first time over 20 years ago.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Which is why many users now choose to vaporize or eat their marijuana. Can you explain the harm in THOSE methods?

Can't argue with that. It's truly ridiculous, and here in CA, has just been a sneaky and less lucrative manner of legalizing for all adults. I've had a medical prescription for almost a decade, and not once has anyone asked for evidence of my (actually existing) conditions. "Got $50? Here's your script!"

That being said, you also cannot deny it DOES have medical benefits for certain people... like those with terminal cancer, AIDs, etc, who are kept comfortable (and arguably alive longer, since it fights wasting) thanks to medical marijuana. The fact that many "medical users" just want to do it recreationally doesn't negate this.

I'm pretty liberal, and will be the first to admit I smoke it because it feels good... sure, it can also help with aches & pains, but I do it mostly for recreational purposes. So yeah, you can drop the dumb partisan nonsense.
Unless your pot's organic, the harm is from toxins - pesticides and flowering enhancers. Cancer causing, I would imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness