Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 09:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Researching this, the double-talk and semantics is rather funny:
LOL, they are the same thing, but one form comes from Drs. and is labeled as medicinal, which makes it ok and the other not.
Note the word 'considered'. There is -0- evidence that one is safer than the other or more legitimate medicinally.
How could there be? That is like saying wine is safer than vodka. (And actually, people believe that too). It's all alcohol! It has the same effect! Yes, wine, beer, vodka all affect me personally a bit differently. But mostly the same in the end.
Very true, kind of like saying adderall is better for you than meth when they are identical except for one molecule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 09:13 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
You're comparing it to street heroin, which is unregulated, no idea how potent it is, no idea what it's been cut with. That is what people only think of now, but heroin used to be prescribed, regulated, pure uncut dope, and no, it is not different hardly at all. It's the same stuff formulated only slightly differently and marketed as something totally different.

But the information is at your fingertips. Oxy is synthetic heroin. It's derived from the same plant for the same purpose.
It does t matter what it’s made from, I’m telling you the effects are not the same. I feel like you’re just digging your heels in now and it doesn’t even matter what people are telling you from experience.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It does t matter what it’s made from, I’m telling you the effects are not the same. I feel like you’re just digging your heels in now and it doesn’t even matter what people are telling you from experience.
Ok. I guess the makers of it don't know what it is either. Maybe you can educate them

Old 09-30-2018, 09:28 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
By 1895, morphine and opium powders, like OxyContin and other prescription opioids today, had led to an addiction epidemic that affected roughly 1 in 200 Americans. Before 1900, the typical opiate addict in America was an upper-class or middle-class white woman. Today, doctors are re-learning lessons their predecessors learned more than a lifetime ago.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...h2e8Zezxfif.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm 71 I have had severe chronic pain since my early 40's due to arthritis and work related injuries. I never could take opioids, I liked them too much so I refused to take them. For years I relied on ibuprofen, heating pads and occasionally aspirin. In the past few years I have been using marijuana, high CBD, low THC and it helps my pain more than anything I ever tried. I highly recommend it. I don't like to roll joints or use a pipe and edibles are a little hard to gauge the dosage and when it will start working so I vape it. I am not sure why it's not prescribed to every chronic pain patient, it's amazing.
There's many reasons it's not been made mainstream, the biggest one I think is PROFIT for big Pharma. Because it can be grown and processed at home it's a threat to them. My wife uses Cannabis CBD oil for Sciatica and the occasional edible so I get that they work.

Personally I developed an "adverse reaction" to MJ now and have since my early 20's (the 70's were FUN for me, well what I remember of 'em Lol) so it's out as a med for me just like Morphine is out for me...

Old 10-01-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Very true, kind of like saying adderall is better for you than meth when they are identical except for one molecule.
Not exactly true. I highly doubt they use acetone and other kitchen chemicals to make Adderall...

Old 10-01-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
You're comparing it to street heroin, which is unregulated, no idea how potent it is, no idea what it's been cut with. That is what people only think of now, but heroin used to be prescribed, regulated, pure uncut dope, and no, it is not different hardly at all. It's the same stuff formulated only slightly differently and marketed as something totally different.

But the information is at your fingertips. Oxy is synthetic heroin. It's derived from the same plant for the same purpose.
The difference is great enough that those who have adverse reactions to Morphine a derivative of Heroin can take Oxy/Hydrocodone without the adverse reaction.
Weird but true...

Old 10-01-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I have taken Vicodin and was high as F. so I'm not sure what you are talking about. I threw the rest away and told my doc not to prescribe them again.
It's been my experience after talking with lots and lots of people who've used Hydrocodone for pain that if one is in pain one does not get high from it. Now that of course is dependent on dosage. If one is in pain and takes a dose that's twice what's needed to cover the pain then of course you'd get high. Notice I didn't say "twice what's prescribed".

Some people are lightweights (or hypersensitive if you will) when it comes to opiates (lucky them), doctors prescribe by weight and pain level so at the beginning it's a guessing game as to what dose will/won't work.

If you're in the lightweight group what would cover the pain of someone like you might be too high a dose for your body...

Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Not exactly true. I highly doubt they use acetone and other kitchen chemicals to make Adderall...
True, but my point was that they are both addictive stimulant drugs.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Personally I developed an "adverse reaction" to MJ now and have since my early 20's (the 70's were FUN for me, well what I remember of 'em Lol) so it's out as a med for me just like Morphine is out for me...
I had the same problem with MJ after decades of abstinence, but I realized that what I have a bad reaction to are Sativa strains, if I stick to Indica I'm fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness