U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,268 posts, read 8,496,507 times
Reputation: 3713

Advertisements

Hmmm.....Would you say Eastern Kentucky or New Orleans resembles South Carolina or Mississippi more than Southern Maryland or the Eastern Shore? Would you exclude them from the South by not complying to such a narrow standard?

I agree that the Southern leaning population of Maryland make up a continually shrinking portion of the state as more people like you move here, but the geographic area is still significant. Can you find parts of Minnesota, New York, Massachusetts, etc. that are "qualifying parts" like you what you admit are in Maryland?

 
Old 08-25-2009, 09:04 AM
 
542 posts, read 1,325,578 times
Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
"History" is the keyword here.
For better or worse, history is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
This isn't 1830.
Could've fooled me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Plus, the "qualifying parts" make up a tiny minority of the state.
Most people in Maryland live in the Washington Metro. The Washington Metro contains Southern Maryland(I include PG & Southern Anne Arundel as Southern Maryland). That's hardly a tiny minority. Heck, Montgomery County even looks and feels like the Northern Virginia Piedmont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I fully agree that Maryland is no Massachusetts, but it looks more like it when compared to states such as South Carolina or Mississippi.
How so? Why does it have to be compared to South Carolina & Mississippi? The kind of "Southern" you'd find in Maryland is similar to that of Virginia's(Tidewater, Piedmont to an extent). The Chesapeake/Piedmont southern is different from the Deep South/Gulf Southern of South Carolina & Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Baltimore's accent is practical identical to the Philadelphia/South Jersey accent.
If only. I'm not saying that it's one of the variations of the Southern accent, but the Baltimore accent is influenced by Southern linguistic patterns. I'm not sure if it's Piedmont or Tidewater, but it sounds different from accents from Philadelphia or South Jersey.
 
Old 08-25-2009, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
919 posts, read 2,336,679 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Most people in Maryland live in the Washington Metro. The Washington Metro contains Southern Maryland(I include PG & Southern Anne Arundel as Southern Maryland). That's hardly a tiny minority. Heck, Montgomery County even looks and feels like the Northern Virginia Piedmont.
Southern MD is typically referred to as Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary's counties... If you go to SOMDonline it caters to those counties...
 
Old 08-25-2009, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,268 posts, read 8,496,507 times
Reputation: 3713
The old blue collar "Balwer" accent is being replaced by a more generic urban mid-Atlantic style dialect similar to Philly. You can still find the old dialect in the southern suburbs like Brooklyn Park, Glen Burnie, and Dundalk, but I am not sure if the dialect is being transmitted to the young generation or not.
 
Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Germantown, MD
1,359 posts, read 3,356,432 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Most people in Maryland live in the Washington Metro. The Washington Metro contains Southern Maryland(I include PG & Southern Anne Arundel as Southern Maryland). That's hardly a tiny minority. Heck, Montgomery County even looks and feels like the Northern Virginia Piedmont.
Fairfax Cty doesn't even look like the Piedmont. PG and Anne Arundel Counties are not part of Southern MD. I don't know, you must be seeing things I don't. My parents are from NY and CT and they moved here partly because of the commonalities of those states. I've lived in PG County, and it in no way seemed "Southern" to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
How so? Why does it have to be compared to South Carolina & Mississippi? The kind of "Southern" you'd find in Maryland is similar to that of Virginia's(Tidewater, Piedmont to an extent). The Chesapeake/Piedmont southern is different from the Deep South/Gulf Southern of South Carolina & Mississippi.
Talke your pick: Tennesse, Virginia (not just NoVa), North Carolina. Maryland resembles New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania more than those states.



Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
If only. I'm not saying that it's one of the variations of the Southern accent, but the Baltimore accent is influenced by Southern linguistic patterns. I'm not sure if it's Piedmont or Tidewater, but it sounds different from accents from Philadelphia or South Jersey.
I read somewhere that originally the accent was identical to Philly's, but apparently during WW1 or WW2 migrant workers from North Carolina, altered it slightly with Southern hints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Hmmm.....Would you say Eastern Kentucky or New Orleans resembles South Carolina or Mississippi more than Southern Maryland or the Eastern Shore? Would you exclude them from the South by not complying to such a narrow standard?

I agree that the Southern leaning population of Maryland make up a continually shrinking portion of the state as more people like you move here, but the geographic area is still significant. Can you find parts of Minnesota, New York, Massachusetts, etc. that are "qualifying parts" like you what you admit are in Maryland?
What "narrow standard?" Every Southern state is different, yet most share many of the same social/cultural qualities (accent, education, wealth, poltical views etc.). My point in general is that Maryland shares more qualities with the Northeast than with the South. Also, as I said before Maryland is not a Massachusetts.

Maryland (and DC and DE) is always the subject of numerous "north/south" arguments, and I'm sure there will probably be a new thread on this same subject within a week or so. Nobody ever argues whether Virginia or New Jersey is North or South, or any other state for that matter. I consider Maryland (and DC, WV, and DE) to be the dividing point between North and South, so yes there are some "qualifying [southern] parts" but they are dominated by the Northern parts.

Oh btw, I don't know where Minnesota came from. Maryland probably has more in common with every state on the East Coast than with Minnesota.
 
Old 08-26-2009, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
1,154 posts, read 4,060,215 times
Reputation: 705
To a Montanan both Maryland and Massachusetts would seem Southern. Neither get much snow or cold (comparatively) and both talk with rounded vowels and that sort of thing. Have the allegedly winter-hardy residents of Boston ever seen a windchill of -100? Ever had to plug your block heaters into outlets while you make a quick run into the local store? Do your parking lots even have outlets for block heaters? Didn't think so

Point being that claiming Maryland is Southern because it is not quite like Massachusetts is fallacious. Besides, to me, the differences between the two are negligible compared to the differences between just Maryland and Virginia.
 
Old 08-26-2009, 07:39 AM
 
542 posts, read 1,325,578 times
Reputation: 354
I always thought Virginia was the state Maryland had the most in common with. Maryland has some similarities to Massachusetts, but more with Virginia. They just seem alot alike, only difference being Virginia has more of what Maryland "has". I guess that's just my non-native perspective.

I have a question for you, westsideboy. If Southern Maryland & the Shore could be part of the Coastal South, and the Baltimore-Washington area is unique enough to combine "North" and "South" to become Mid-Atlantic, then what about Western Maryland? It is said that it looks & feels more like Pennsylvania or West Virginia. I'd agree, but Pennsylvania could be considered Northern Appalachia, and West Virginia could be considered Southern Appalachia -- so where would that put the Western Maryland region?
 
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 AM
 
31 posts, read 99,859 times
Reputation: 30
Default I am a southerner..MD is the North

i am from Charlotte Nc..and trust me MD..is not the south..it is in the Norhtern arena buy far..people probably call it the south compared to some of the other northern states...but trust me there is nothing southern about Maryland AT ALL..and that is what i love about it...I am in the Bible Belt and Southern hospitality and all that and honestly what I have experienced is people don't have it here..bc it is just a different environment...when i speak and smile people really think i am like crazy...lol and they automatically ask me where are you from? so it is obvious that they are not accustomed to it..but hey different strokes different folks and ya gotta love the way things differ in people.trust me the south is not all that people think..racism is terrible and also so many things that are under the rug aren't discussed..it may be the Bible Belt but it seems like every church is in some shady mess or really using the church for a dating arena..trust me it has its flukes as well so I just say be who u are and enjoy you!!
 
Old 08-26-2009, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
919 posts, read 2,336,679 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochabizniswmn View Post
i am from Charlotte Nc..and trust me MD..is not the south..it is in the Norhtern arena buy far..people probably call it the south compared to some of the other northern states...but trust me there is nothing southern about Maryland AT ALL..and that is what i love about it...I am in the Bible Belt and Southern hospitality and all that and honestly what I have experienced is people don't have it here..bc it is just a different environment...when i speak and smile people really think i am like crazy...lol and they automatically ask me where are you from? so it is obvious that they are not accustomed to it..but hey different strokes different folks and ya gotta love the way things differ in people.trust me the south is not all that people think..racism is terrible and also so many things that are under the rug aren't discussed..it may be the Bible Belt but it seems like every church is in some shady mess or really using the church for a dating arena..trust me it has its flukes as well so I just say be who u are and enjoy you!!
Again we keep going back to this... You can't say MD isn't southern because of your experience in the metropolitan areas of MD... Southern MD feels southern to me and the suburbs around DC and Baltimore do not..

MD is such a diverse state that you can't label it as one thing or another...
 
Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Germantown, MD
1,359 posts, read 3,356,432 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
MD is such a diverse state that you can't label it as one thing or another...
"Mid-Atlantic" is the middle ground that most people take, although that region is even more ambigious than the NE (the only states almost always included are PA, MD, DC, DE, NJ). New York and Virgina are also included.

I think Western MD is the same as the West Va. Panhandle, and Central Pa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top