Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 10:38 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
A few buildings burn down and suddenly it’s the apocalypse. Relax, it isn’t THAT bad. Lots of people are pitching in to help rebuild. Everything is gonna be fine. And it looks like some meaningful police reform is in the works that may hopefully result in less people getting wacked by the five-0. There are some reasons to be optimistic right now.
Pitching in for specifically "minority owned" businesses, like the governor pointed. As if poor white people didn't start their businesses with nothing and didn't give everything to make it.

A state that is 85% white, and the governor and all the racially divisive freaks that run the TC thinks the world revolves around POC.

It is honestly stomach churning all the politics of race. They made identity politics illegal in Rwanda for a reason...because it leads to pure evil...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 06:58 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
A few buildings burn down and suddenly it’s the apocalypse. Relax, it isn’t THAT bad. Lots of people are pitching in to help rebuild. Everything is gonna be fine. And it looks like some meaningful police reform is in the works that may hopefully result in less people getting wacked by the five-0. There are some reasons to be optimistic right now.
The city says over 700 buildings were damaged, and 12 were completely destroyed, containing multiple businesses. In your attempt to gloss things over, you just spit in the face of every small business owner who is struggling to regain their means of survival. Many of them are immigrants and minorities who were uninsured or underinsured. I’ve talked to some and they are in dire straits. They have no reason to be optimistic right now. None.

But to you, they’re just collateral damage in the white liberals’ war on “five-o.” Good grief, at least try to pretend to have some compassion.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...-floyds-death/

Last edited by Glenfield; 06-19-2020 at 07:13 AM..

Old 06-19-2020, 08:12 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Quote:
You mean like a fourth of July Bonfire ,that everyone builds together then set it on fire ??

Old 06-19-2020, 09:12 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The city says over 700 buildings were damaged, and 12 were completely destroyed, containing multiple businesses. In your attempt to gloss things over, you just spit in the face of every small business owner who is struggling to regain their means of survival. Many of them are immigrants and minorities who were uninsured or underinsured. I’ve talked to some and they are in dire straits. They have no reason to be optimistic right now. None.

But to you, they’re just collateral damage in the white liberals’ war on “five-o.” Good grief, at least try to pretend to have some compassion.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...-floyds-death/
Understood, (we just realized that our old dentist office suffered severe fire damage, of all places), but you missed my point. I’m simply offering a counterpoint to the doom and gloom on here writing the city off as another Detroit, with an inevitable gutting of the city and exodus of hundreds of thousands as the result of this unrest. It’s pure foolishness and most of which is coming from posters who don’t live here. In most cases they have no idea what they’re talking about as this take couldn’t be further from the truth. Did the city suffer a setback? Sure it did. And it was compounded due to happening during a flu pandemic. But as you have probably seen, help is on the way.

My point is that the response I’ve seen is reason to give me hope that we will overcome this and rebuild. And anyone who can’t look past the damage is failing to see the big picture in my opinion.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:08 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
Understood, (we just realized that our old dentist office suffered severe fire damage, of all places), but you missed my point. I’m simply offering a counterpoint to the doom and gloom on here writing the city off as another Detroit, with an inevitable gutting of the city and exodus of hundreds of thousands as the result of this unrest. It’s pure foolishness and most of which is coming from posters who don’t live here. In most cases they have no idea what they’re talking about as this take couldn’t be further from the truth. Did the city suffer a setback? Sure it did. And it was compounded due to happening during a flu pandemic. But as you have probably seen, help is on the way.

My point is that the response I’ve seen is reason to give me hope that we will overcome this and rebuild. And anyone who can’t look past the damage is failing to see the big picture in my opinion.
700 isn’t a few. The future is uncertain and there is no point minimizing the situation. For many people it is dire and I don’t think it’s at all clear that we can overcome the double blow of the riots and continued lockdowns.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:41 AM

Can you even imagine if we didn't have the only divided Senate and House in the country to keep Walz and his politics of race in check in this desperate time right now? It would be lunacy. Thank God Paul Gazelka and those behind him have at least a little backbone to stand up to Walz and all his crazies pushing some of the stuff they are. They would probably push for a billion more refugees to be relocated into the "too white" Minnesota if it wasn't for that.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:28 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,933,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
700 isn’t a few. The future is uncertain and there is no point minimizing the situation. For many people it is dire and I don’t think it’s at all clear that we can overcome the double blow of the riots and continued lockdowns.
The Twin Cities is THE destination for shopping and big name entertainment for an enormous geographic area. It cannot be emphasized enough about the huge dollars that are spent by out-state Minnesotans and people from eastern ND, SD, as well as Iowa and western Wisconsin.

These dollars that once poured in are now just a tinkle. It's going to remain that way for a long time until we can feel confident and safe going there. I just don't see that happening for a long time with the bizarre actions and ideas of the leadership there.

As a person who's been to the TC metro easily over 100 times for various functions over the years, I won't be bringing my family there anytime in the foreseeable future.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:06 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Meanwhile the housing market continues to be very tight and with rising prices...how could this be if the city is in shambles and with everybody wanting to escape?

https://m.startribune.com/buyers-fac...ere/571343082/

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 06-20-2020 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-20-2020, 01:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,094,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
As a person who's been to the TC metro easily over 100 times for various functions over the years, I won't be bringing my family there anytime in the foreseeable future.
Why would you? There's a global pandemic happening right now. Attractions are closed. All major festivals and events are cancelled for 2020. There's nothing for you to do or see, anyway.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile the housing market continues to be very tight and with rising prices...how could this be if the city is in shambles and with everybody wanting to escape?

https://m.startribune.com/buyers-fac...ere/571343082/
The Minnesota House just denied Mayor Feckless his bailout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul