Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 08:41 AM

46 posts, read 43,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb540 View Post
Just got word I am eligible for a studio! Trying to figure out if there are any 1BRs left, and touring an available unit next week.
Log 6xxx with CB preference.
Happy thanksgiving everyone!
What's your AMI and let us know if you do get the 1br or get to know if there are any left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 09:03 AM

521 posts, read 505,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
The answer is right but the math is wrong. It's .06% (what you said) not 6% (what you actually calculated). 35k x .06% (.0006) = $21

Also, this calculation is only used if the calculated value is greater than the actual income from your assets. If all your assets are just a small savings account and a retirement, the calculated amount will likely be higher than the actual income from assets and will be used. If you have assets that are higher-income producing than the calculation, the actual income from assets figure will be used/added to your other income total.
Oh yep I have totally been calculating that wrong I was reading it as 6%

Old 11-22-2022, 09:34 AM

31 posts, read 25,634 times
Quote:
Just got word I am eligible for a studio! Trying to figure out if there are any 1BRs left, and touring an available unit next week.
If you don't mind me asking how did they contact you? and did your housing connect status change before they contacted you or after ?

Old 11-22-2022, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,296 times
Hi all - congrats to all those who are getting requests to submit documents!
A question: does anyone have information on subleasing an apartment won via lottery? Understand that you cannot make profit from it obviously, but I would not be able to move in by the date they want. Any ideas on how to postpone move the move in date by 6 months or so? Could a friend move in, for example?

Old 11-22-2022, 12:20 PM

390 posts, read 350,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post
It's in the marketing handbook, typically lotteries choose to do CB first or start it ahead of market rate but they also can set aside half of the units and designate them to CB and the other half to gen pop and work on them at the same time. I know someone who does not have CB and they were contacted already so they have already started on gen pop. Based off of people letting others know when they are getting called this lottery is moving much faster than many of the other ones I have seen. I think the thread is most helpful in gauging how far along they are especially after someone has gone through the whole process and shares their complete timeline. It provides more insight on the likely length you would have to wait.
You're right, I'm so used to seeing people say it takes months. I think using this forum is making me more anxious lol. When I saw my log I was like okay, I'm not getting it, next! & when they asked for docs it had me on edge every since. I just want a 2 bedroom honestly and there's none available my building. Lol I just want to see that email.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:23 PM

521 posts, read 505,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro1992 View Post
Hi all - congrats to all those who are getting requests to submit documents!
A question: does anyone have information on subleasing an apartment won via lottery? Understand that you cannot make profit from it obviously, but I would not be able to move in by the date they want. Any ideas on how to postpone move the move in date by 6 months or so? Could a friend move in, for example?
You are only allowed to have the lottery apartment if it is your primary residence so no one else can fill the space for you, just you. One of the tough things with lottery apartments is that you often have to break your existing lease or cut a deal with your previous landlord.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirlBklyn View Post
If you don't mind me asking how did they contact you? and did your housing connect status change before they contacted you or after ?
More than likely adb540 is 80% AMI. The last 1 bedroom as given away already. Someone already confirmed that they got the last 1 bedroom. They were offered a studio and was next in line for the one bedroom if someone ahead of them didn't take the apartment. There was a little debate on this a few pages earlier where people kept saying an agent told them there were some left, but now everyone who is 1 bedroom eligible is getting offered studios so it seems to backing up what the person who said they had the last apartment said.

Congratulations on your apartment adb540!!

Old 11-22-2022, 12:47 PM

150 posts, read 130,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiddesire120 View Post
More than likely adb540 is 80% AMI. The last 1 bedroom as given away already. Someone already confirmed that they got the last 1 bedroom. They were offered a studio and was next in line for the one bedroom if someone ahead of them didn't take the apartment. There was a little debate on this a few pages earlier where people kept saying an agent told them there were some left, but now everyone who is 1 bedroom eligible is getting offered studios so it seems to backing up what the person who said they had the last apartment said.

Congratulations on your apartment adb540!!
I find it kinda crazy that all 29 of the 1 bedrooms were given to CB. Totally unfair if this is true. The system needs to be better so this does not happen..

Old 11-22-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikilove185 View Post
I find it kinda crazy that all 29 of the 1 bedrooms were given to CB. Totally unfair if this is true. The system needs to be better so this does not happen..
I'm surprised too. I thought 50% of each unit type per AMI would go to CB not, 50% of the apartments as a collective. I think it's kind of unfair too. Especially for people who really need the apartment. It looks like mainly apartments with higher AMIs will go to gen pop and that sucks. I think this happened because there's no direct regulation of how the cb apartments should be allocated.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:49 PM

150 posts, read 130,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiddesire120 View Post
I'm surprised too. I thought 50% of each unit type per AMI would go to CB not, 50% of the apartments as a collective. I think it's kind of unfair too. Especially for people who really need the apartment. It looks like mainly apartments with higher AMIs will go to gen pop and that sucks. I think this happened because there's no direct regulation of how the cb apartments should be allocated.
Exactly! Totally unfair I thought they would get 50% of each ami/ number of bdrs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery