Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 02:47 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I said that Telluride is on a smaller scale... but not microscopic. The transient population of Telluride is larger than the residential population of New Orleans. The similarity between NYC and Telluride is their substantial reliance (in Telluride, 100% reliance) on leisure economic activity of temporary visitors. NYC can count on that activity even if all other sources of economy vanish, because of its history. But while the revenue from tourism and seasonal residents would be sufficient to take care of the needs of the employed part of NYC, it would not generate enough to support NYCHA and all the other current NYC poverty services. In the scenario of tourist business remaining as the only viable business in NYC, there is no place for much welfare spending.

I see where you are going with this but you might as well use Las Vegas as a comparable. The problem is, Las Vegas and tourism are looking like the last place one is looking at to invest in at this point in time. No amount of IheartNY buttons will change that for the foreseeable future. It might make a difference for places like Telluride Colorado, Taos New Mexico, Banff, Alberta, because they are somewhat secluded and cater to wealthy travelers. The cruise ship industry offered seclusion from the great unwashed, but it's looking pretty dumpy right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 02:58 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I prefer Silverton over Telluride for what it’s worth.

Though I did watch an amazing meteor shower laying on top of a picnic table in -something degree weather there once. Also almost slid off the switchbacks in the pass that’s in all the pictures of the town.

I spent a lot of time there, definitely more than her. It’s a dumb comparison.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-27-2020, 03:02 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Wow Eleanor, misery, welfare and crime is the only aspect of the US I know? Haha.

Look, you can think about me whatever you want, but you're living in a state of denial

This country does not have what you want, and what you want, you can't afford here.

If you can't accept that, it's not my problem.

You can think about me whatever you want too - your opinions of me reflect who you are, not who I am :-). I don't have to eat the same every day, I choose to do that because it involves least amount of exposure to the public health problem. The same thing that I eat every day is healthy, I have no health problems at 60, and my BMI is 19 - what about you? I can afford everything I want in this country at this point, which is why I just retired, 100% on my own resources (I won't take my Soc Security for 10 more years, until I am 70). Sometimes I have difficulty choosing, but that is the only problem at this point :-). I CAN afford to live exactly where I would want in NYC, but that would involve selling in Boston and buying in Manhattan, which would be a stupid thing to do while (a) it is much better taxwise to be based in Boston for the next decade, and (b) I am not sure whether I still want, or whether I will want in 9 years, to move to Manhattan. My participation in this forum is the result of thinking about that decision - actually, the last remaining decision that I need make in life. All other t's are crossed and i's dotted. So, where do I have the alleged "problem"?

Old 04-27-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I prefer Silverton over Telluride for what it’s worth.

Though I did watch an amazing meteor shower laying on top of a picnic table in -something degree weather there once. Also almost slid off the switchbacks in the pass that’s in all the pictures of the town.

I spent a lot of time there, definitely more than her. It’s a dumb comparison.

How much more time? I spent 2 + 2 + 4.5 = 8.5 months total in the Four Corners area during three different years (plus a few more months further north in Colorado). Cortez, Rico, Telluride, Ridgewood, Ouray, Silverton, Durango - drove back and forth and back and forth and back and forth the entire circle :-). I am not sure which one is my favorite, all of them are interesting. If I were to live in one of them year-round, probably Durango. But it is too far out there for me, I want to stay on the Coasts.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:16 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
You can think about me whatever you want too - your opinions of me reflect who you are, not who I am :-). I don't have to eat the same every day, I choose to do that because it involves least amount of exposure to the public health problem. The same thing that I eat every day is healthy, I have no health problems at 60, and my BMI is 19 - what about you? I can afford everything I want in this country at this point, which is why I just retired, 100% on my own resources (I won't take my Soc Security for 10 more years, until I am 70). Sometimes I have difficulty choosing, but that is the only problem at this point :-). I CAN afford to live exactly where I would want in NYC, but that would involve selling in Boston and buying in Manhattan, which would be a stupid thing to do while (a) it is much better taxwise to be based in Boston for the next decade, and (b) I am not sure whether I still want, or whether I will want in 9 years, to move to Manhattan. My participation in this forum is the result of thinking about that decision - actually, the last remaining decision that I need make in life. All other t's are crossed and i's dotted. So, where do I have the alleged "problem"?
Sometimes its hard to watch the movie when you're the star actress

Of course you won't think you have a problem

Ego is the reason why humans are where we are

But back to the welfare situation

The government assists everybody pretty much, this is how we are structured (corporate welfare even)

You're simply not in a position to say "whoooaaa that's too much"

This is why you don't get it

As long as you live here there will always be something coming out of your check that you will not have control over where it goes

Whats so hard to understand about that

But you come on here and complain about it like C-D can change the law

You dont get it

Corporate welfare even

LoL

Companies not required to have 6 months on hand but the average Joe gets burned at the stake for not having 6 months

But you're asking what's your alleged problem

LoL

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-27-2020, 03:23 PM

I'm voicing my opinions like everyone else here - no more, no less. I'm also collecting feedback on my opinions, to figure out whether I do or don't want to sell in Boston/ buy in Manhattan in 2029 (of course, if I decide to buy in Manhattan, I'd sell the crashpad in the Bronx too - its function is only experimental). That's all.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:35 PM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
1. The difference in the nature of attractions between NYC and Telluride is actually well in favor of NYC. Sightseeing and social life are less demanding (and therefore interesting to more people) as recreational activities than skiing or even golfing, and there are many more things to see in one day in any of NYC museums or in any 20 blocks of Manhattan than in the entire town if Telluride. NYC has been getting over 60 million tourists annually, and at least half of that will persist because they are international tourists who do not intend to stop traveling (going by what I hear from family and friends overseas).

2. How is Telluride doing economically right now? You can check it for yourself. Telluride is the only town in the US (actually the entire San Miguel County of 6,000 people, where Telluride is located) where every single person was tested for COVID (it looks as though they found about a dozen of positives). I believe the testing was privately funded by a couple that either resides there or has a vacation home there. This is not the type of community that has zero reserves, and cannot weather comfortably one or two seasons of being shut down.
Do you understand we are in the midst of a pandemic and it’s a disease that transmits to and from other people instead of from a bunny slope to a person? It is really hard to take the kind of shallowness in thought you have seriously—not just from the basic lack of humanity, but the breathtaking stupidity of your ideas.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-27-2020 at 04:44 PM..

Old 04-27-2020, 03:43 PM

I respect Eleanor's train of thought

Without wrong there cannot be right

She does not need to change

Ur Humble MoD is no Judge

Old 04-27-2020, 03:45 PM

For the project welfare, there's corporate welfare

Everything's a balance

Some people think ppl in the projects get too much

Some ppl think Walmart and Amazon get too much

LoL

Old 04-27-2020, 04:14 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
How much more time? I spent 2 + 2 + 4.5 = 8.5 months total in the Four Corners area during three different years (plus a few more months further north in Colorado). Cortez, Rico, Telluride, Ridgewood, Ouray, Silverton, Durango - drove back and forth and back and forth and back and forth the entire circle :-). I am not sure which one is my favorite, all of them are interesting. If I were to live in one of them year-round, probably Durango. But it is too far out there for me, I want to stay on the Coasts.
I lived in Colorado for 4 years and my cousin was living in Telluride while I was there. So...

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City