Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 11:46 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

When you have attended the funeral of a three year old who died needlessly all because his mother was afraid that if she disciplined him he would hate her later. Well he didn't get that chance. He was the same age as my youngest and a playmate. All that remains are the photos I took. What hurt the most was the fact that we had discussed his horrible and total lack of respect for his parents two weeks before he was crushed under a tractor wheel. He never learned no meant no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 01:12 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
When you have attended the funeral of a three year old who died needlessly all because his mother was afraid that if she disciplined him he would hate her later. Well he didn't get that chance. He was the same age as my youngest and a playmate. All that remains are the photos I took. What hurt the most was the fact that we had discussed his horrible and total lack of respect for his parents two weeks before he was crushed under a tractor wheel. He never learned no meant no.
That is excruciatingly sad.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:16 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Yes I do. I've observed decades of degeneration now. Tough love worked for centuries. Parents are not what they used to be.
Society had a much higher tolerance for abuse for centuries. Is that really the society you want to return to, just so that Johnny will stop talking at dinner?

My pet peeve is when people don’t realize the great emotional cost that comes with shoving people into strict social roles.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:23 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
On the other side of the coin, my ex almost killed me several times because her parents hitting her as "discipline" taught her that physical abuse is okay. That translated into her beating me and trying to strangle me every time I said something she didn’t like—because her parents beat her as a child when she misbehaved. She even admitted to me the link in her own mind.

You can find extreme examples of anything. Obviously both of those scenarios are extreme. In the vast majority of cases, a child who was not taught that “no means no” will not die. On the other hand, there are studies that show that children who are hit as punishment often grow up believe that hitting is an acceptable and appropriate response to conflict.

Obviously children do need to be disciplined at times, but my pet peeve is with the parents who go overboard. The story I quoted was so heart-breaking to me because with every threat, that father depleted his son’s sense of self-worth and self-esteem, and for what? To make him behave well in a grocery store. There are other ways to get your children to behave that don’t involve having to crush their spirit.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:21 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Tough love..I've always laughed at that relatively new cliche. That basically means hurting someone you love by being overly callous and cutting for their supposed own good or in some cases hitting the child when they disobey. People never heard of the term tough love until these self-help know it all's began taking over daytime TV. You don't need to smack your kid to discipline or dance to the tough love trend, there are other ways show disapproval and teach whats right. Smacking the kid won't make the child respect a parent, it can however cause fear, create resentment and sometimes long term head trips. That's not a bunch of psychobable either. I knew kids that got the strap as the tool to teach right from wrong. They did fear their dad, well in one case, until my friend got to be about 6'6 that is. He left as soon as he was 18. I personally think there are better ways. Lead by example, show the kid plenty of love and some respect him as an individual, this isn't boot camp after all. Especially at an early age kids want the approval of their parents. Showing disappointment worked better on me than a spanking ever would.

I do agree you see many parents today that will give in to a bratty kid in the store rather than take the kid outside and scold him for acting out. Lazy parents, maybe more concerned with themselves than bringing up their kids, which takes a considerable investment of time. Many people that have kids shouldn't be parents but are. Still that's nothing new. Decades of degeneration of morals, of the family unit, remember the days when mom was home when the kids got out of school, increased me-ness and materialism trumping everything else. The result is an increased number of bratty, smarty kids with little respect for anything or anyone. These changes in society have much more to do with the entire picture you see today than the lack of physical punishment for disobedience. Still I've met plenty of good smart kids with a sense of caring for others. What did their parents do right one might ask.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:48 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,300 times
Why do the elderly get left out when it comes to holiday plans???? No one in the family bothered to invite my 88 year old MIL to have Easter with them and their famalies. Needless to say she will be having lunch with us even though I didn't plan a special meal.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Why do the elderly get left out when it comes to holiday plans???? No one in the family bothered to invite my 88 year old MIL to have Easter with them and their famalies. Needless to say she will be having lunch with us even though I didn't plan a special meal.
That is a very nice thing to do, Larksong. Give her lots of hugs and listen to all her stories. Your meal will be special for her no matter what it is.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:00 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
That is excruciatingly sad.
It sure is, I'm very sorry Nom.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:29 PM

I'm peeved about the way a 1099Misc can kick your butt on a tax return.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Managed to get road tar on my new car in less than 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics