Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 01:30 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times

Advertisements

^^^

That's pretty messed up.

Some old guy out finding a few coins is no reason to want to hurt them. Takes a real man to hurt some elderly person.

I bought my companion a metal detector just to help him get out and get some exercise. You better think twice about hurting him. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
^^^

That's pretty messed up.

Some old guy out finding a few coins is no reason to want to hurt them. Takes a real man to hurt some elderly person.

I bought my companion a metal detector just to help him get out and get some exercise. You better think twice about hurting him. Seriously.

LOL, no fears, I'm not in the old man beating business.

I would never hurt anyone for doing something like that.

I was just venting about how it looks like you're preying on others misfortunes. Like if someone lost a family heirloom or a wedding ring.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
What's wrong with somebody, regardless if they're old or not, walking along the beach or whatever on public land with a metal detector enjoying their hobby and finding lost items. It's not like they are stealing, it's legitimate. heck everytime I've been to the beach I see 1/2 dozen people with detectors working the beach.
Finders keepers, possession is 9/10ths the law.

And such language, sheesh...

Old 04-06-2012, 03:27 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
am the only one who takes out the trash from the kitchen.

That's like, in order to change a toilet paper roll, you must have given birth.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, no fears, I'm not in the old man beating business.

I would never hurt anyone for doing something like that.

I was just venting about how it looks like you're preying on others misfortunes. Like if someone lost a family heirloom or a wedding ring.
I would think if someone found some keepsake with identifiable markings they might watch the paper or put an ad up on craigslist that they found it. That's what I'd do in a case like that.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Those young'uns that drive by with their car radios so loud that surely it's dangerous for other drivers and themselves. Either way, it's so rude that they force their genre of music into our ears.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
What's wrong with somebody, regardless if they're old or not, walking along the beach or whatever on public land with a metal detector enjoying their hobby and finding lost items. It's not like they are stealing, it's legitimate. heck everytime I've been to the beach I see 1/2 dozen people with detectors working the beach.
Finders keepers, possession is 9/10ths the law.

And such language, sheesh...
Yeah, It was a little harsh, I was feeling cranky when I wrote that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I would think if someone found some keepsake with identifiable markings they might watch the paper or put an ad up on craigslist that they found it. That's what I'd do in a case like that.
I'd like to think so, I don't have such a rosy view of people motivations.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
The need for armed officers in high schools. A canoe paddle in the principals office used to be enough.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The need for armed officers in high schools. A canoe paddle in the principals office used to be enough.
Yeah ... The whole anti-disciplinary movement has created chaos in our public schools to the point that it is interfering with learning. I plan to do everything in my power to send my kids to a private school when I have them ... Misbehaving should NEVER be tolerated and parents need to quit allowing their little dahlings to run amok in public, period!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
I don't think the teachers or principals should be smacking kids with a paddle or anything else. I don't have that much faith in their judgement. It use to be overall at least that kids had some respect for authority even if they despised the person. Oh sure I've hated a few male teachers in my time but I wouldn't have ever thought of actually knocking one of them out. In very tough schools I suppose some altercations took place but its a whole nother animal these days. I'm amazed too by schools today resembling prisons in some ways with armed guards and lock downs. That says a lot for society as a whole, progressing like mad with technology and going backwards in other ways. I was reading a thread in the small town/rural forum section. One gal was talking about the graduating class at their very small high school being 17. I doubt they have any need for guards. I think home schooling is the best option these days. Who's to say that fancy expensive private school's teachers aren't hiring people with a questionable past. I'd also be worried about my kid being safe from the teachers these days.

I know what you mean Chowhound, I'm not a Pollyana type, I know chances are that if people found something valuable no matter what lovely writing was inscripted on it, they would sell it for the gold. I'm just saying I'd like to think there are some that would think if that was mine I'd feel real bad about losing it and make some effort at locating the owner. Also when people do go out of their way, say in a case like this, the person may not even act a bit appreciative for their effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics