Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 10:46 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think if Ivory drops her from the insurance and then she applies for Medicaid, she will be denied.
Not if they do it the right way. Again, they need to look into the options and make sure the right procedures are being followed, but she CAN be switched to her own insurance if that makes sense for everyone. And the baby will be covered.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,790 times
Another thought--someone mentioned a home for pregnant teens. This would be IDEAL for your daughter. They teach parenting skills, provide educational opportunities and child care, and require work around the "house" etc. so that the girls learn how to take care of themselves. All in a firm, loving, non-judgmental setting.

Needless to say, it can be hard to find a space but if you are going to be spending time doing things FOR her, I'd put some major effort into finding out about this option.

The home here in my hometown, by the way, focuses on finding "regular" apartments/living accommodations for "graduates" of the program rather than public housing. They do this for a reason! Young, impressionable women who are just learning what they are capable of need to be surrounded by others on their way UP. Being in public housing surrounds one with a high percentage of people (not everyone) who are there to stay, and have known little else. It's easy for a young mother with few prospects to fall into welfare as a way of life as a result. Just something to consider.

I absolutely would not present welfare as the answer. Doing so says, "I'm not going to take care of you anymore, and we all know you can't do it yourself, so here's how you get the government to do it." It is a damaging message to send your daughter. When she looks back on it years later she will wonder why you didn't believe she was capable of more. She needs to take care of herself, this is the skill she should be learning right now with your guidance. There are plenty of programs (WIC, Medicaid, etc.) that can fill in the gaps, but the expectation should be for her to move forward and be successful and self-supporting in the near future.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:03 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No. She is not.

Doing what you and others here suggest is the definition of enabling.
there is a mid way point between enabling and helping your child in crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If she isn't one, she needs to become one quickly. Preferably BEFORE the baby arrives. She needs to grow up NOW. We're out of time for playing with this.
taking the hard ass line approach is one way. as others have pointed out it really hasn't helped the dynamic in the past. your mind is already made up with how you want to treat your daughter and your new grandchild. it is too bad for all parties.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Not if they do it the right way. Again, they need to look into the options and make sure the right procedures are being followed, but she CAN be switched to her own insurance if that makes sense for everyone.
That's not true. She can't drop her from her employer's policy until the next open enrollment period or a qualifying event.

Quote:
And the baby will be covered.
The baby will be covered by Medicaid either way.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:05 AM

Here's information about the Section 8 Housing Voucher program in your metro.

Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8) Explained - Housing Planning Library - Housing & Transition Planning - Programs & Services - Community Housing Network

There are long waiting lists. Even though the wait might be a few years, she should still get on the list.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't think she qualifies for Medicaid because obummercare requires my insurance to cover her until she's 26. The baby isn't covered on my insurance. She is already getting prenatal care.
(snip) .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Obamacare doesn't require you to cover her on your insurance until she's 26. It allows you to do so if you choose, and it's a good thing you do provide it because it doesn't cost you extra to do so since you already have another child covered. The baby will qualify for Medicaid when he/she is born.

(snip).
Quote:
They're not required to keep her, they are required to offer you the option to cover her. But you can take her off, she can get her own care.

I really think you need to look into this. Put your ideas about "Obummercare" to the side and investigate your options. She's the kind of person rules were changed to cover. Especially since she has a job.

(snip).
I wanted to make a comment about the health insurance. I am a retired teacher. The health insurance from my school district is top of the line, much better quality than many insurance policies. Our daughter was on my family policy until she turned 26.

She is now on Obamacare through her state. Not only is her insurance coverage significantly better than what she had under my policy, but, it is free, 100% totally, completely free to her (as she is very low income).

So, Ivory, before you make disparaging remarks about Obamacare have your daughter, or you, actually check it out. The two of you may be very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-23-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 11:11 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
That's not true. She can't drop her from her employer's policy until the next open enrollment period or a qualifying event.

Wouldn't that be "doing it the right way, following the right procedures", which is what I said?

Isn't she about to have a "qualifying event?"

And yes, I know the baby will be covered anyway... that's what I was saying. The baby will be covered so there is nothing to worry about on that end. It's just a matter of finding the best option for the new family.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:12 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,140 times
You probably received wonderful advises by now but here is my suggestion anyway. I am not sure about US but here (Canada), most of us are with a family doctor. They usually advise us of our options in terms of what can be done and what is not possible. Has your daughter been to an ultra sound yet? Who referred her? That would be the starting place. They will know and you will save yourself a lot of work by just asking them. Well, at least thats what happens here, not sure about US.

If I were you, I wouldnt suggest adoption yet. If adoption was in her thoughts, she would be resisting the idea just because you suggested it.

Abigayles Place
12313 Nineteen Mile
Sterling Heights, MI
(586) 323-1411
(586) 864-3132
Home is a Christian setting for single pregnant women, new mothers who are 18 and older and their babies.

Abigayle Ministries

This is a home for unwed adult mothers and it provides resources and services to help women get on their feet.

626 posts, read 1,348,249 times
Quote:
Here's information about the Section 8 Housing Voucher program in your metro.

Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8) Explained - Housing Planning Library - Housing & Transition Planning - Programs & Services - Community Housing Network

There are long waiting lists. Even though the wait might be a few years, she should still get on the list.
Great link...I wasnt sure what area she was in. You are right, there are long waiting lists...but let her show up pregnant and homeless and they find ways to work you in and towards the top of the list...or they find another program she might qualify for since in all reality, she has nothing and no one.

OP's DAUGHTER should also look for a pregnancy center to go to because typically they offer POSITIVE SUPPORT, free ultrasounds, and resources to organizations that the general public doesnt know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.