Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 11:22 AM

755 posts, read 1,119,279 times

Advertisements

http://http://julieslist.homestead.com/CrisisPregnancy.html

The briefest of google searches yields this huge list of crisis pregnancy aid centers.

If you actually want to help her, maybe find out which of these is most accessible to her, call them for some advice, and pass their contact information on to your daughter. She can do this, and she is more likely to use the resources she chooses for herself. I also think she'll feel better about the advice she receives from an "impartial" third party.

Not that any of these are impartial. Most have their own agenda, and you want to know it up front. A lot of them lean heavily toward encouraging adoption which might turn your daughter off.

Just saying, it is not on you to find out the ins and outs of insurance, housing, etc. for her. There are lots of people out there who already know exactly what to do, and she has but to make a single phone call. No need to reinvent the wheel. Focus your energy on providing positive, loving support and great home-cooked meals for your daughter.

You could offer to go with her if you can keep yourself from criticizing, and just be supportive in helping her make good decisions from here on out.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Miracles for Moms & Babes Maternal / Infant Health Program
28690 Southfield Road Suite 194
Lathrup Village MI 48076
Phone: 248-443-4962
Are you pregnant or have an infant under 1 year old and have Medicaid or are Medicaid eligible?
Let us assist you with Childbirth Education/Parenting Classes, Housing Assistance Referrals,
Transportation Referrals, Nursing Support, Free Baby Items / Gift Cards/ Baby Showers, WIC
Referrals, Insurance Assistance, etc. Certified through the State of Michigan.

Amin's Babies Supplemental Care
24801 Five Mile Road
Redford MI 48239
Phone: 313-585-3507 OR 734-274-2227
Email: aminsbabies@gmail.com
Includes locating affordable housing, transportation to and from doctor/WIC appointments,
some baby necessities, food and clothing referrals, childbirth and parenting classes.
Serves Wayne and Macomb country.

Healthy Moms & Babies Maternal Infant Health Agency
Phone: 313-633-9311 OR 313-598-0095
Email: healthymomsandbabies@yahoo.com
This agency is certified with the State of Michigan to provide free services to women and infants
who are recipients of State of Michigan Medicaid. A home visiting program that provides certified
and licensed professionals that will provide services in the comfort of the clients homes such as
prenatal planning, family planning, transportation, birth control information, childbirth education
classes, breastfeeding classes, and low-income housing resources.

The above came from this website: CrisisPregnancy

It lists about 80 other resources for pregnant mother's in crisis in your metro. Those three above specifically mention housing.

But the other resources should be considered for other needs since they all provide different services and supplies.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:33 AM

I've noticed the eligibility is based on her being on Medicaid for many of these programs.

She probably will qualify for more help if she's not on Ivory's insurance.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:42 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've noticed the eligibility is based on her being on Medicaid for many of these programs.

She probably will qualify for more help if she's not on Ivory's insurance.
The problem is I don't believe I can drop her from my insurance. I believe that once obummercare took effect, I had no choice but to cover her until she's 26. I know I can't drop her without her having her own insurance so I think we're locked out of these programs. It's worth looking into but I'm thinking she's only going to be able to get Medicaid for the baby. However, some of these programs may be fine with her using BCBS. My insurance rocks. I don't remember the last time I had a bill besides a $20 co pay. They even covered dd's counseling. She could do 26 sessions a year and they paid all but $20. I'm thinking that she will not qualify for Medicaid because she's on my insurance and I don't think I can drop her. Obammacare may have burned us here. However, she is covered and is getting prenatal care. What won't be covered will be the baby's care after it is born. I can't cover the baby.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:48 AM

755 posts, read 1,119,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The problem is I don't believe I can drop her from my insurance. I believe that once obummercare took effect, I had no choice but to cover her until she's 26. I know I can't drop her without her having her own insurance so I think we're locked out of these programs. It's worth looking into but I'm thinking she's only going to be able to get Medicaid for the baby. However, some of these programs may be fine with her using BCBS. My insurance rocks. I don't remember the last time I had a bill besides a $20 co pay. They even covered dd's counseling. She could do 26 sessions a year and they paid all but $20. I'm thinking that she will not qualify for Medicaid because she's on my insurance and I don't think I can drop her. Obammacare may have burned us here. However, she is covered and is getting prenatal care. What won't be covered will be the baby's care after it is born. I can't cover the baby.
It is worth a few phone calls.

I think we all know you want the best for your daughter and her baby and that you are willing to do what will work to help her move forward. Sometimes we just get so close to our own situation, and so caught up in ongoing, exhausting drama that it's hard to step back, take a deep breath, and chart a new course.

I will say to you that most likely, everything is going to be okay. Maybe not wonderful, and certainly not as you would have chosen, but okay. You might want to assure your daughter of that too; it means a lot to hear that from Mom.

I'm noticing that you are readily replying to those who have suggestions regarding insurance matters, but less (not) bothering to reply to those including myself making suggestions as to how to change your approach as a parent.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Medicaid the copays are zero or just a couple of dollars. Those $20 copays will be difficult for her to pay when she's scraping pennies together to pay rent.

You believed wrong about not having a choice to keep her on your insurance, but it wasn't a bad decision to make because most parents do keep their adult children on their policies since it doesn't cost extra. You can drop her from your insurance during the next enrollment period or a qualifying event happens before that. Call your HR department for details. You can drop her at the enrollment period even if she doesn't have insurance. That would be a qualifying event that would allow her to get insurance through Medicaid or the exchange.

I agree you should check into these programs instead of assuming they won't help her simply because she's not on Medicaid. Her being homeless should have more bearing on her situation than her Medicaid qualification.

The last link I provided has over 80 different resources for pregnant women in crisis. Start calling all of them to find out which ones she qualifies for.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:00 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post

I think we all know you want the best for your daughter and her baby and that you are willing to do what will work to help her move forward. Sometimes we just get so close to our own situation, and so caught up in ongoing, exhausting drama that it's hard to step back, take a deep breath, and chart a new course.

I will say to you that most likely, everything is going to be okay. Maybe not wonderful, and certainly not as you would have chosen, but okay. You might want to assure your daughter of that too; it means a lot to hear that from Mom.

I'm noticing that you are readily replying to those who have suggestions regarding insurance matters, but less (not) bothering to reply to those including myself making suggestions as to how to change your approach as a parent.
Thats because there are rose colored glasses being used and she probably doesnt want to admit that she, in fact, made a huge mistake in regards to her pregnant daughter and soon to be grandchild. Poo on your face typically doesnt look good and doesnt want to be owned up to She has failed as a parent..point blank, period.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post

Imagine that. I asked about how to proceed financially so those are the posts I'm answering. Go figure. I have no intention of changing my course as a parent at this time because I believe it is the right one. I didn't ask for advice on how to handle this. Just on what's out there for help financially so they can get on their feet. So yes, those are the posts I'll answer. I'm not interested in the others. I believe it is time for tough love and that is not open for debate. She needs to grow up before this baby is born. Period. I would have much preferred she had taken 4 or 5 more years to grow up before becoming a parent but she didn't. It's crunch time.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:01 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
Quote:
The problem is I don't believe I can drop her from my insurance.
You probably can. She's pregnant now not to mention low income. That changes her situation AND she would very likely qualify for medicaid if nothing else. Pregnant women pretty much get that automatically.

Just investigate, because the state rules vary... but in general low income pregnant women have very few barriers to getting covered as a rule. It is in the state's interest to make sure someone somewhere carries her. You just have to find out how to not make it YOU.

She might have to have her own apartment first or officially be designated as "homeless" in some state agency, plus you probably can't claim her in your taxes... but she can get covered. How old is she anyway? How long ago did she drop out of college?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:02 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Ivory... Obamacare only requires the insuarance companies to allow coverage until age 26. There is no mandate as to the parents actually doing so. Yes legally you can drop your child. One thing you may really want to check into is the fact that many insurance companies do not cover dependent maternity benefits. If your insurance company is like 85-90% of them, they will deny any maternity claims related to your daughter. You may want to call your provider and find out immediately. If not, most will consider pregnancy of a dependent as a qualifying event and allow you to make the changes necessary to drop her from coverage.

If your provider will cover maternity benefits for your daughter, she will receive better treatment and better access to doctors off of your coverage than she would on medicaid.

Either way, the baby will be eligible for medicaid so that will not be a worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting