Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is President Obama's race?
White 4 1.73%
Black 59 25.54%
Multiracial 142 61.47%
I don't believe in "race" 26 11.26%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
He's done nothing to hide the fact that he has a White American mother and he was raised by White American grandparents that had a positive influence on his wife. So what's YOUR BEEF?
I guess you haven't read his book:

From Dreams From My Father:

"I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I
began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites."

From Dreams From My Father :
"I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and
animosity against my mother's race."

"There was something about her that made me wary, a little too sure of herself, maybe and white."

"It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names."

"I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my ]own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa , that
I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela."

And FINALLY ........... and most scary:

From Audacity of Hope:

"I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-14-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Why? Not only that more Africans lost their lives on the passage to the new world than jews in the holocaust (estimates are well over 10 million)
According to one of my links,the death toll wasn't that high,in fact the mortality rate of the sailors and crew was higher than the mortality rate of the slaves...interesting huh?

Quote:
The Africans, that sold their enemies to the whites never imagined the cruelties that their captives would endure, nor did they know that it would last for centuries.
Wrong,one of my links addresses this fable.

They knew what was happening.

I know it sits poorly with some to think their ancestors were made slaves by their own people...but such was life back then...

Old 04-14-2011, 04:53 PM

313 posts, read 284,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

"I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my ]own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa , that
I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela."
Funny, since his father abandoned him and went back to Africa and it was Whites who had to raise him, probably in a safe White neighborhood with White people.

Or does anyone really think this man would have gone to Havard if he was raised by Blacks in a Black neighborhood and all that goes on with 'that'?

White people are the reason he is in the position he is in and can use the technology he can since Black Africans haven't really invented anything compared to Whites.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:23 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
[quote=oz in SC;18727755]According to one of my links,the death toll wasn't that high,in fact the mortality rate of the sailors and crew was higher than the mortality rate of the slaves...interesting huh?

I have to question your links, simply based on common sense. If there are 40 crewmen on a ship carrying over a hundred slaves bound together like sardines inhaling feces/urine/menses from women and not being fed properly, don't you think that there would be more african casualities from the voyage than crew members who had a least the luxury of fresh air? Oh yeah, did your sources report that the dying/sick slaves were thrown over board to the sharks? They were not counted.

Thats interesting that they KNEW what was going to happen across the sea and through the future

Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
[quote=simetime;18744776]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
According to one of my links,the death toll wasn't that high,in fact the mortality rate of the sailors and crew was higher than the mortality rate of the slaves...interesting huh?

I have to question your links, simply based on common sense. If there are 40 crewmen on a ship carrying over a hundred slaves bound together like sardines inhaling feces/urine/menses from women and not being fed properly, don't you think that there would be more african casualities from the voyage than crew members who had a least the luxury of fresh air? Oh yeah, did your sources report that the dying/sick slaves were thrown over board to the sharks? They were not counted.

Thats interesting that they KNEW what was going to happen across the sea and through the future
Perhaps...you should read the links....instead of just guessing.I do believe the two historians are experts in this field.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/23/op...20blame&st=cse

Old 04-15-2011, 03:06 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
Funny, since his father abandoned him and went back to Africa and it was Whites who had to raise him, probably in a safe White neighborhood with White people.

Or does anyone really think this man would have gone to Havard if he was raised by Blacks in a Black neighborhood and all that goes on with 'that'?

White people are the reason he is in the position he is in and can use the technology he can since Black Africans haven't really invented anything compared to Whites.
Why should Obama's ingratitude surprise anyone isasmuch as it is no different than that exhibited by far to many of the tribe.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
yes, Choclot said something about "your white ancestors" being responsible for Barack being a mulatto. Therefore, someone in this thread did say that. I'm sure more did, I'm just not going through them all. You can't be serious in trying to deny that MANY blacks still assign majority and collective blame to whites ,and only, whites? That would be a losing card.
I was talking about this particular thread, not in general. If Choclot said that, then I missed it.

Quote:
As to your last paragraph, I was correct. Historically and scientifically, I was correct. There is a negro race and a caucasian one.
Race is actually more of a sociocultural concept than a biological one. See here for more information on that: RACE - The Power of an Illusion . What Is Race | PBS

Quote:
I know that there are more similarities between races than within them, often. That doesn't change the fact there are whites and blacks on earth. I'm just dealing with the facts.
Right, but you have to realize that it is a modern phenomenon to group individuals according to "race" in the way that we do now. Of course people have always recognized physical distinctions between/among nationalities and ethnicities, but the dominant way to classify groups in antiquity was based on culture (language, local customs, religion, etc.), not skin color.

Quote:
Secondly, many on this thread itself make the argument that because Barack looks black, then he is. The racial constructs you speak of were different then than they are now.
How did you come to that conclusion?

Quote:
You also gave examples of distinct ETHNICITIES within the African nation. the fact that they were almost all Negros proves my point.
No it doesn't, because the classification of "Negro" is based SOLELY on physical characteristics, something that was foreign to various African people groups in antiquity. The establishment of such classifications--of the modern concept of race itself--was a convenient way for European colonists/settlers to distinguish "us" and "them" for the purposes of social hierarchy. However, that sort of simplistic classification completely ignored the basis of distinction of the African groups themselves, which was cultural in nature and not physical. I understand that it can be a bit hard for us to divorce ourselves from the way we're accustomed to thinking about this issue since it's as old as the nation itself, but it's crucial in understanding the dynamics that existed back then.

Quote:
Further, you make an argument (correctly) that Africans sold other Africans, but from other tribes, and thus, they were not all the same. I could make an entire thread grandstanding on the immorality on that but I won't. Selling humans is wrong. Period. It was just as wrong when Blacks did it as when Whites did it. If you were trying to mitigate the damage by saying said slave trade among Africans wasn't because of skin color, its still no less immoral. They apparently found other (morally irrelevant) differences to justify their immoral trade.
Actually I made no comment on the morality of the issue because that's a very complicated subject in many ways. Of course, the first thing you have to grapple with is the basis upon which you declare it to be wrong. And you also have to consider the fact that there are different forms of slavery/servitude. That's just for starters.

Quote:
Will you give the same moral leeway to the whites that took part in the slave trade? Personally, I think it was wrong across the board. Yes, I understand the context. It was still wrong. Its worth noting it was the white Abolitionist movement that rose up, eventually giving rise to the end of large scale slavery. It still exists in Africa and that is of major historical importance and gives a glimpse into the truth of slavery.

So, yes, I understand it, and I still think it's of utmost importance that many young African Americans (and European-Americans) understand that the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade cannot be laid solely at the feet of Whites. This seems to bother many African Americans. However, they need to come to terms with that. I say that with all sincerity.
This is true, but I think a couple of things need to be considered. Firstly, slavery as it existed in Africa was much different from slavery as it existed throughout the western hemisphere. Early African traditions of slavery appear more benign when compared to the institutionalized systems of slave trading that would develop later. I'm not saying that to "justify" pre-colonial slavery in Africa, but I'm just stating a fact. Secondly, and I think this is very important, I think slavery as it existed in America was particularly egregious on a philosophical level. Today we esteem capitalism and "free market" principles in America (which we deem as a "meritocracy") as religious dogma and we proclaim it as the source of our prosperity as a nation. However, one cannot separate the establishment and rise of capitalism which overwhelmingly benefited White men for the larger part of our nation's history from slavery which provided free labor to the benefit of the North and Europe. This quote says it best:
The discovery of gold and silver in America, the extirpation, enslavement, and entombment in mines of the indigenous population of the continent, the beginnings of the conquest and plunder of India, and the conversion of Africa into a preserve for the commercial hunting of black skins are all things that characterize the dawn of the era of capitalist production.
Now I'm not arguing against capitalism per se here, but what I am saying is that slavery in America eventually gave rise to an economic system stained with hypocrisy. This is altogether different from slavery as it existed in Africa or other parts of the world beforehand. Once again, I'm not justifying such earlier forms of slavery, but what came to be in America is entirely different in nature.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:21 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The idea that one drop of black blood makes you black...an idea put forward by Racists and yet it seems to be embraced by modern day black people.

Kind of odd to me.
That's because it reflects the reality of a good bit of people who have one Black parent and one White parent. This concept of race that we're used to is based on physical traits. If such a person "looks more Black," then that's how the larger society will treat/define them and that's usually how they will define themselves.

Quote:
Ho and colleagues presented subjects with computer-generated images of black-white and Asian-white individuals, as well as family trees showing different biracial permutations. They also asked people to report directly whether they perceived biracials to be more minority or white. By using multiple approaches, their work examined both conscious and unconscious perceptions of biracial individuals, presenting the most extensive empirical evidence to date on how they are perceived...

Using face-morphing technology that presented a series of faces ranging from 5 percent white to 95 percent white, they also found that individuals who were a 50-50 mix of two races, either black-white or Asian-white, were almost never identified by study participants as white. Furthermore, on average black-white biracials had to be 68 percent white before they were perceived as white; the comparable figure for Asian-white biracials was 63 percent.
'One-drop rule' appears to persist for biracial individuals: People consistently view biracials as members of their lower-status parent group

Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
This thread is epic FAIL for those in denial about Obama's bi-racialness.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:26 AM

146 posts, read 250,196 times
He made sure to claim it while he was running for office. He acknowledges that he's multiracial but like most black/white multiracials he considers himself black because of the still embraced one drop rule in America. Not to start a racial thing but if Barack Obama, Halle Berry, or Lenny Kravitz were to refer to themselves as black nobody bats an eyelash. If they were to refer to themselves as white or Jewish everyone in America looks at them like they are crazy. While people acknowledge them as biracial black people have always been much more accepting toward biracials than whites are. Blacks treat biracials the same as another black person. While whites tend to treat them just the same...as another black person. If something comes up missing in the room all eyes on them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies