Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 09:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Not to sound uncaring, but who's responsibility is your family?

Yours or mine?
That doesn't answer the question of how one supports a family on a minimum wage job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Even if your source WAS unbiased it still dos NOT prove that ALL who lost their jobs are lazy and don't want to work....that assumption would be stupid.
No one said all except you. What that study from the Philadelphia FED states is that as people start to get to the end of their UI they suddenly get real motivated to find a job... If you want to look at that as people being lazy or riding the system out (which is what they were doing), then so be it.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That doesn't answer the question of how one supports a family on a minimum wage job.
How did they do it before ? This seems to be a new in the past few years and min wage was even less back then.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:32 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Minimum wage jobs are not meant to raise a family on. and, if you have minimum wage skills, who is responsible for your family?

Every skill set has an organically set wage. That cannot be manipulated. Look at how unions (especially public sector unions) have skewed the wage scale.

What is the wage value of cleaning floors? washing cars? delivering pizza? etc?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I really wonder how many of the people that are against the Unemployment Extension really understand what unemployment is. Unemployment is not an "Entitilement Program" because you have to pay into it and there is no guarentee you will ever get iany of it back. I have worked since I was 16 and for the first time in my life at the age of 30 I find myself unemployed through no fault of my own.

In Pa workers pay unemployment taxes out of each check. Your Employer pays taxes also on each employee. The Employer's taxes are based on a sliding scale determined by the number of their Employees end up on unemployment, the amount of money that they are paid and the length of time their former employers stay on unemployment. Basically your Employer pays what your unemployment taxes do not cover.

Who cares if Employers that layoff people have to pay a little more in unemployment taxes? My company has been slowly eliminating positions. I was in the first batch and there were 5 of us that were laid off. That company had 300 employees and less then a dozen of the jobs required a college education. 3 of the employees (Including Myself) that were laid off had the jobs that required college degrees. The other 2 were long term employees. One woman was there for 30 years. Another woman was there for 40 years. She basically started there when she was 20 now she is 60 and they are throwing her out. Who is going to hire her at 60? They ended up having to hire someone to pick up some of her job duties a few months later and it turned out to be the girl that used to babysit the President of the company's kids.

To keep 6 million WORKERS and their families out of financial ruin it will cost 48 Billion to extend the unemployment extension one more year. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have costs approximetly 1.29 Trillion so far. The Federal Government made at least 72 Billion dollars worth of improper payments for goods and services in 2008 alone. The governemnt also spends 25 Billion dollars every years just maintaining vacant properties that they own.
How do you figure you "pay into" unemployment? Where is that deduction from your earnings? Can you show us a line on your pay stub?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Minimum wage jobs are not meant to raise a family on. and, if you have minimum wage skills, who is responsible for your family?

Every skill set has an organically set wage. That cannot be manipulated. Look at how unions (especially public sector unions) have skewed the wage scale.

What is the wage value of cleaning floors? washing cars? delivering pizza? etc?
And they wonder why jobs are offshored for a fraction of the labor costs......

Old 12-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Copy and paste from the Press Secretary?

99 weeks is more than enough time.

Look up Sweden's unemployment insurance duration
I went to do a quote on a job for a lady (I'm self employed) who told me she was unemployed (this was a couple of years ago) and her unemployment had already been extended a couple of times, I believe. She wasn't the slightest bit worried about looking for a job, and wasn't looking, because she told me her UI didn't run out for at least another year (maybe it was longer, I don't really remember).

This is what happens when you pay people that aren't working. They don't look for work. They couldn't care less.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
More than enough time to do what?
Uhmmmmmm ... find a job? Maybe?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Dude, the worker pays such a miniscule amount toward UE it is laughable. Your employer pays 90%+ of it.
I have never seen where the employee pays any of it. He says they do in PA. I live close to PA (on the state line). I'll have to ask someone to see if it's true.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:43 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Series Id: CMU2010000000000D,CMU2010000000000P
Compensation Component: Total compensation
Employer/Employee Charac.: All occupations
Sector: Private industry

Qtr3
Cost of compensation (Cost per hour worked)
Percent of total compensation
Quote:
Series Id: CMU3010000000000D,CMU3010000000000P
Compensation Component: Total compensation
Employer/Employee Charac.: All occupations
Sector: State and local government

Qtr3
Cost of compensation (Cost per hour worked)
Percent of total compensation
Top Picks (Most Requested Statistics) : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies