Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times

Advertisements

Gay issues will and should be decided by the states. It's not a national election issue and shouldn't be considered when voting for a president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Gay issues will and should be decided by the states. It's not a national election issue and shouldn't be considered when voting for a president.
Just like interracial marriage, right? And voting rights? And racial segregation?

The right to be treated like an equal citizen of the United States should not depend on whether one is in Massachusetts or Mississippi.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Exactly what is it that you think Obama will do in regards to gay rights? He's been in office for almost 4 years and he's done nothing, yet you think that he will transform into the Gay's Jesus in his second term?
Doing nothing is better then making things worse.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
if you figure this in doesn't the gay vote actually go up to close to 30-40 percent of the population?
No, probably not, because gay issues are not the deciding factor in how people vote. It is side issue at best.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Ideally marriage shouldn't be involved with the government at all, and should be left up to the church, however gay marriage is banned by federal law. If anything at a minimum it should be repealed and left up to the states I agree.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Just like interracial marriage, right? And voting rights? And racial segregation?

The right to be treated like an equal citizen of the United States should not depend on whether one is in Massachusetts or Mississippi.
Interracial marriage, segregation and voting rights aren't the topic of this thread. Keep up.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Mitt Romney might not care about the gay vote because we're only around 5% of the population, but if you include our families and close friends that number would mean that many more people are guaranteed not to vote for you. if you are against gay rights.

i have a mother and father and brother and sister and a close friend, who all would definitely NOT vote for Mitt Romney or MOST republicans and it's all because i'm gay. some of them used to vote republican at least half the time but now they never do if that republican is an anti gay republican in ANY WAY. they vote this way because of ME.

if you figure this in doesn't the gay vote actually go up to close to 30-40 percent of the population?
I must have missed it when Obama said he was for gay marriage, when was that?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Mitt Romney might not care about the gay vote because we're only around 5% of the population, but if you include our families and close friends that number would mean that many more people are guaranteed not to vote for you. if you are against gay rights.

i have a mother and father and brother and sister and a close friend, who all would definitely NOT vote for Mitt Romney or MOST republicans and it's all because i'm gay. some of them used to vote republican at least half the time but now they never do if that republican is an anti gay republican in ANY WAY. they vote this way because of ME.

Well hopefully Obama will win re-election and the congress and senate will be democratically controlled because then they will legalize gay marriage!

Oh wait, that's already happened...except for the whole legalize gay marriage thing.

While I can completely understand your opposition to someone that is anti-gay, I hate to break it to you but you are being milked.

Gays are a fairly sure bet for the dems but a lot of pro-gay issues don't resonate well with critical segments like moderates and especially the coveted and growing latino vote. So, what you are going to get is "lip service" like Biden's comments this week WHICH WERE SPECIFICALLY POINTED OUT as not being the presidents view on gay marriage which is currently "evolving" which you know what that means.

Don't take it personally, and I support gay marriage, but gays and pro-gay voters while having votes don't have vote clout. It's sucks to be taken for granted, but you should be used to it by now.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
One dichotomy that pops into my head when reading this thread and seeing the bigotry term flying about is that the rate of hate crimes against gays is something like 5x higher for blacks than whites...and blacks are solidly democratic voters.

I just think that the issues facing gay rights are vastly more complex than just "those old white bigots" will die off and we will be in a more enlightened age. I think its certainly gotten better but there are growing demographic segments in the US that are absolutely not gay friendly.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
I have about 100 reason to not vote Republican next November and the stance on gays is one them. I agree with you that anyone who loves a gay person does not want a bigot in the white house.

Don't worry Romney will NEVER get elected. You can pretty much count on Obama for a second term.
With people like you & Obama- we are assured - the destruction of America will finally be complete!

YOU HAVE MUCH to be very proud of !!

History shows us very plainly what happens when people adopt this perverse attitude that is AGAINST THE LAWS OF NATURE!

Rome embraced homosexuality - find out what REALLY happened to the 12 Caesars that had ultimate power over Rome & the world.

Study & find out what happened to Sodom & Gomorrah

Study & find out what REALLY happened in Greece

You don't care!

Ever since don't ask don't tell was repealed by skewing the figures to the opposite of what they truly were. 75% OPPOSED - this law.

So the Obama administration lied about the truth (as usual)

Now military rapes against men have been soaring!

The gay vote = 2% of the population.

Yes we need Obama for 4 more years - he hasn't done enough yet to destroy America.

Eternal Life or Eternal Death - It is your choice! Why you choose death over life is beyond my ability to comprehend.

You can deny the existence of God all you want (now) But soon you will be standing face to face. NOTHING you can say or do will ever change God's eternal LAWS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies