Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 04:00 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Not possible to kill as many with a knife as with a assault rifle with extended clip. To kill with knives you have to get up close and personal.... with a gun you just stand back and squeeze the trigger.
I come from a Country where there is strong gun control and very very very few are fraid of being killed by a gun and the police keep control without guns..... Here, if a car slows down beside you there is always that feeling a gun could open fire....... bit like Beirut.
lol

Drama Queen much? Next you are going to say Texans all wear big hats and ride their horses to work, that Californians are all blonde and surf when they aren't dodging bullets from the bloods and the crips.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:04 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Not one that can be used for personal defense without killing many many innocent people.
Well Bill, I guess I can't blame you for not taking the bait. You see in fact it's ZERO. Yes zero people have been killed in this country from nukes? You know why Bill? Cuz they are...wait for it...ILLEGAL! Oh the horror. Hmmm.

So, to recap, nukes=illegal=zero deaths from nukes.

And guns=legal=hundreds and hundreds of thousands of deaths from guns.

Questions Bill?

Old 12-21-2012, 04:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
“We are the only industrialized country that has this problem. In the whole world, the only one.”

YES! A thousand time yes... now run to your bunker and hold your guns tight. We will tell you when you can come back out.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:15 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
lol

Drama Queen much? Next you are going to say Texans all wear big hats and ride their horses to work, that Californians are all blonde and surf when they aren't dodging bullets from the bloods and the crips.
I really wish i was a "drama queen" but unfortunately the gun culture here has overtaken common sense and i indeed know the difference between living in a Country with strong gun laws and a Country with virtually no gun laws............. Unfortunately you don't and for some reason you feel that there is not a big gun problem here............ well there definately is........... ask the many, many, many victims of guns here.
American's are now realising that no matter how the NRA or the gun lovers keep trying to deflect the gun lunacy here.... it is the guns in virtually anyones hands here that IS the problem.
Get ready for change as it is going to happen.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I really wish i was a "drama queen" but unfortunately the gun culture here has overtaken common sense and i indeed know the difference between living in a Country with strong gun laws and a Country with virtually no gun laws............. Unfortunately you don't and for some reason you feel that there is not a big gun problem here............ well there definately is........... ask the many, many, many victims of guns here.
American's are now realising that no matter how the NRA or the gun lovers keep trying to deflect the gun lunacy here.... it is the guns in virtually anyones hands here that IS the problem.
Get ready for change as it is going to happen.

You are drama queening because unless you live in a very specific locale that happens to have such, you are exaggerating to make your point. That, or you have a mental disorder that makes you irrationally afraid of everything.

The fact is, the statistical occurrence of such is insignificant.

Here is some of the gun crime statistics the BJS has.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Crimes Committed with Firearms

That amounts to .12 of 1 percent of the population and yet here you are going off about how there is so much gun crime that you get nervous when a car slows down?

How about this, tell us what city you live in. We can look at the crime rate in the areas you live. Maybe you live in a locale that happens to have high gun crime? Which I hope you understand the significance of that mention? That locale is the issue which means demographics are more commonly associated to the crime, not the number of guns.

Go ahead and fill us in. Lets do the math together and see how irrational your "fear" is.

Maybe you were hoping that everyone would be too stupid to consider your claims? Hmm? That we would just accept some fear mongering like good little tools?

Old 12-21-2012, 04:36 PM

Wow! I've alienated three posters from here now. Bill? Punky? Your54ford? Dang nabbit.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:46 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Wow! I've alienated three posters from here now. Bill? Punky? Your54ford? Dang nabbit.
Get over yourself. Taking a couple of hours for my life instead of sitting here playing your stupid games doesn't mean you've alienated anyone.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:48 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Well Bill, I guess I can't blame you for not taking the bait. You see in fact it's ZERO. Yes zero people have been killed in this country from nukes? You know why Bill? Cuz they are...wait for it...ILLEGAL! Oh the horror. Hmmm.

So, to recap, nukes=illegal=zero deaths from nukes.

And guns=legal=hundreds and hundreds of thousands of deaths from guns.

Questions Bill?
Really? You think the fact it's illegal it's whats prevented small time punks & psychotic assho**es from having a nuclear weapon? you don't think it's more likely the ridiculous cost and danger associated with them?

It's a silly game you're playing here. But if you want to do that instead of having a conversation, you go ahead.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Really? You think the fact it's illegal it's whats prevented small time punks & psychotic assho**es from having a nuclear weapon? you don't think it's more likely the ridiculous cost and danger associated with them?

It's a silly game you're playing here. But if you want to do that instead of having a conversation, you go ahead.
First off, why does it have to be small time punks? It could be big time punks that want them too.

Secondly, if they were legal couldn't a wealthy, crazy individual/company that is either domestic or international decide to make them? Heck, maybe they would even make a smaller one for individuals (like a suitcase nuke [yah it existed]) to help "protect" them from others with personal nukes.

Well, obviously it is possible if something is illegal that a person can still get there hands on it. Yes, many drugs are illegal and yet there are plenty of people using them. But the design, manufacturing and distributing of quality nukes (and firearms/ammo) requires an industry that has open support for it. It would be much, much harder to do that if they were illegal or even restricted (case and point nukes).

So, your premise that nukes are not around not because they are illegal but simply because they are difficult to make and destructive is misguided. Do we not have a free market and capitalist system? Are there people in the world that may want to purchase nukes (I can think of several possible offenders off hand)? So if there are clients for them then all that is required is a manufacturer of them (assuming it is legal now). Are there not many, many wealthy people and/or companies in this country (or abroad) that may have the resources to make a nuke, no matter how rudimentary, even if it is morally reprehensible?

Hey, there are no guarantees in life. All we can do is make it as difficult as possible to obtain such weapons. But to say that it is not the legality or governmental efforts to stop such weapons from being obtained is just plain wrong. So yes I do find that the illegality and active governmental involvement in stopping the spread of these weapons has stopped groups or individuals from obtaining and using them (that's why nobody has died in this country from them). Anyhow, welcome back. Glad we could have this conversation.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Well, obviously it is possible if something is illegal that a person can still get there hands on it. Yes, many drugs are illegal and yet there are plenty of people using them. But the design, manufacturing and distributing of quality nukes (and firearms/ammo) requires an industry that has open support for it. It would be much, much harder to do that if they were illegal or even restricted (case and point nukes).

If you are saying making firearms requires an industry, then you don't know much about gunsmiths .

It does not take an industry. There are many very small shops that make custom firearms in a workshop often smaller than the average home. Most of the tools and parts of a firearm can be made with common machine shop tools. Guns are made to be very simple due to their function and reliability requirement. In my old high school, we had a few students that actually made their own replacement parts for some of their hunting rifles.

Now I do not know the details of developing a nuclear, but a little browsing into the process shows that is massively more complex and difficult to fully obtain. A large part of it is enriching process as well as the extreme dangers of handling such. You need specialized equipment, storage, and careful handling or you will kill yourself with it. Comparing it to gunsmiths is is absurd.

Also, if you were paying attention to one of the posters videos linked in these discussions, you would have seen the village in Pakistan which makes all ranges of firearms fully hand crafted with very limited tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies