Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
If you are saying making firearms requires an industry, then you don't know much about gunsmiths .

It does not take an industry. There are many very small shops that make custom firearms in a workshop often smaller than the average home. Most of the tools and parts of a firearm can be made with common machine shop tools. Guns are made to be very simple due to their function and reliability requirement. In my old high school, we had a few students that actually made their own replacement parts for some of their hunting rifles.

Now I do not know the details of developing a nuclear, but a little browsing into the process shows that is massively more complex and difficult to fully obtain. A large part of it is enriching process as well as the extreme dangers of handling such. You need specialized equipment, storage, and careful handling or you will kill yourself with it. Comparing it to gunsmiths is is absurd.

Also, if you were paying attention to one of the posters videos linked in these discussions, you would have seen the village in Pakistan which makes all ranges of firearms fully hand crafted with very limited tools.

So why don't these other industrialized countries that outlaw and restrict firearms have such issues with illegal gun manufactures? Also, if nukes were legal would you have a problem with that? I think most sane people would.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The OP is correct. This crap is uniquely American based on frequency. That's just a fact whether you like it or not.

In the same time that we've had something like over 30 of these events, the REST OF THE WORLD has had about 13.
The only reason not to acknowledge the amount of gun violence in American society is to justify the status quo in terms of gun control.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Japan also has one of the highest suicide rates in the world.
A complete deflection from the fact that gun violence in Japan extremely rare.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
That's a question worth asking, and a conversation worth having. If only we could get past the silly thinking that making a particular tool illegal will somehow fix it.
One of the easiest most efficient ways to kill somebody is to point a gun at somebody and pull the damn trigger.

If somebody wants to kill somebody bad enough nothing is going to stop them. But you are insulting your own intelligence if you are suggesting they should have access to the one of the most technologically efficient methods to kill people known to man, a gun, and the status quo in regards to gun control shouldn't change.

We need better gun control laws and we need to do everything possible to make sure that people with mental problems don't have access to firearms.

To suggest anything less is selfish and socially irresponsible.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:10 AM

Nukes don't kill people. Only people kill people.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:37 AM

510 posts, read 889,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Well Bill, I guess I can't blame you for not taking the bait. You see in fact it's ZERO. Yes zero people have been killed in this country from nukes? You know why Bill? Cuz they are...wait for it...ILLEGAL! Oh the horror. Hmmm.

So, to recap, nukes=illegal=zero deaths from nukes.

And guns=legal=hundreds and hundreds of thousands of deaths from guns.

Questions Bill?
There have been nuke casualties in the US.
SL-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-23-2012, 06:49 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
So why don't these other industrialized countries that outlaw and restrict firearms have such issues with illegal gun manufactures? Also, if nukes were legal would you have a problem with that? I think most sane people would.
Could you be more specific concerning the first part of your comment? Which countries, and from what data do you use to compare to support your claim?

As for nukes, there is no reasonable means of having one as their side effects are unpredictable, have long lasting consequences, and the containment, transportation, and creation is extremely hazardous. Not only that but their blast zones are not practical for anything but massive indiscriminate warfare. They are not reasonable or practical to even use outside of large military application or through that of MAD between major populations.

If someone were looking for destructive force that is reasonable in use, there are far better options than using a nuke. Point is, nukes come with far too many dangers to the public in just in having them than other types of weapons that can be reasoned for practical use.

I think you are better off sticking to a more practical argument of weapons that are more closely associated. The nuke argument is a fallacious extreme argument that has no reasonable comparison.

Last edited by Nomander; 12-23-2012 at 07:32 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/op...ml?ref=opinion

Third to last sentence in the article...enough said.
My first thread. 7 years later we’re in the exact same place.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:20 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
As a responsible gun owner, I have no problem with measures being implemented to help prevent mentally deficient people from legally obtaining firearms. However, my question is just how do we do that? Are we to require every person who decides they would like to buy a firearm to first go to a psychologist for evaluation? And what about the roughly 350 million legally owned weapons that are already in the hands of consumers? Do we now go door to door, asking these people to come in for an evaluation? I just can't see how this could work, logistically speaking. I am all for new measures to help improve safety in this country, but I personally just do not see how we can ever put this genie back in the bottle.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:25 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
As a responsible gun owner, I have no problem with measures being implemented to help prevent mentally deficient people from legally obtaining firearms. However, my question is just how do we do that? Are we to require every person who decides they would like to buy a firearm to first go to a psychologist for evaluation? And what about the roughly 350 million legally owned weapons that are already in the hands of consumers? Do we now go door to door, asking these people to come in for an evaluation? I just can't see how this could work, logistically speaking. I am all for new measures to help improve safety in this country, but I personally just do not see how we can ever put this genie back in the bottle.
If we do that, I'm equally as interested in having every single voter go through the same evaluation. Voting is a very important right that people need to be 100% coherent for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies