Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Yes, Judaism is a religion, no doubt about that. However, it pertains to the Mosaic laws presented to the Jews, as they alone were the Chosen of God. If you want to adopt a religion that is designed for someone else, that's your prerogative, but it doesn't make you Jewish.

Jews write a book claiming Jews are the 'chosen' and everyone should believe that because?

BTW, nothing against Judaism, I didn't believe the Roman Catholic nuns in Sunday School who tried to tell me Roman Catholicism was the only 'true' religion either.

Last edited by burdell; 01-02-2014 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Jews write a book claiming Jews are the 'chosen' and everyone should believe that because?

BTW, nothing against Judaism, I didn't believe the Roman Catholic nuns in Sunday School who tried to tell me Roman Catholicism was the only 'true' religion either.
I understand where you are coming from, really I do. I had nothing but skepticism, which I still maintain, for the whims and motives of man. My search included the investigation of other religions, but nothing rang as Truth, until I read the words of Jesus. Why would someone with a degree in Chemistry, learned in Computer Science and other intellectual disciplines choose to believe in a fairy tale? I can point to those who have risked everything for their faith, such as a certain woman named Perpetua.

'Perpetua was a Christian noblewoman who, at the turn of the third century, lived with her husband, her son, and her slave, Felicitas, in Carthage (in modern Tunis).

Her father immediately came to her in prison. He was a pagan, and he saw an easy way for Perpetua to save herself. He entreated her simply to deny she was a Christian.

"Father do you see this vase here?" she replied. "Could it be called by any other name than what it is?"

"No," he replied.

"Well, neither can I be called anything other than what I am, a Christian."

Perpetua | Christian History

Old 01-04-2014, 02:45 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
What is a Muslim Jew? Isn't that an oxymoron?
I had the same question ?????

Old 01-04-2014, 05:54 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I understand where you are coming from, really I do. I had nothing but skepticism, which I still maintain, for the whims and motives of man. My search included the investigation of other religions, but nothing rang as Truth, until I read the words of Jesus. Why would someone with a degree in Chemistry, learned in Computer Science and other intellectual disciplines choose to believe in a fairy tale? I can point to those who have risked everything for their faith, such as a certain woman named Perpetua.

'Perpetua was a Christian noblewoman who, at the turn of the third century, lived with her husband, her son, and her slave, Felicitas, in Carthage (in modern Tunis).

Her father immediately came to her in prison. He was a pagan, and he saw an easy way for Perpetua to save herself. He entreated her simply to deny she was a Christian.

"Father do you see this vase here?" she replied. "Could it be called by any other name than what it is?"

"No," he replied.

"Well, neither can I be called anything other than what I am, a Christian."

Perpetua | Christian History
I have nothing against anyone practicing their particular religion of choice but I have to ask: You say " I can point to those who have risked everything for their faith" as something that rings true and that made you a Christian. Can we not find those of any faith who will tell similar stories about what rings true for them?

I believe there are forces in the universe that no mere mortal truly understands while every religion attempts to explain those forces in its own particular way.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
What is a Muslim Jew? Isn't that an oxymoron?
Yeah, how does that work?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I have nothing against anyone practicing their particular religion of choice but I have to ask: You say " I can point to those who have risked everything for their faith" as something that rings true and that made you a Christian. Can we not find those of any faith who will tell similar stories about what rings true for them?

I believe there are forces in the universe that no mere mortal truly understands while every religion attempts to explain those forces in its own particular way.
I'm not sure if or whether other religions have produced martyrs, but my faith is not the result of martyrdom.
Everyone comes to his or her own acceptance of what is True in this life, of what to place your faith and trust in. It could be family, friends, money, or whatever. Humans are defined by their self-will, and you have the right to believe in whatever you wish to.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:28 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Good for the Israelis.......their land, their say.

I mean, everyone in that area seems to hate Israel.....so many wackadoodle-Wally-Snackbars.

EWWW, maybe if Israel is all nicey-nice.......then the Wally-Snackbars will like them...LOL!

Old 01-08-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I had the same question ?????
Being a 'Jew' means simply to be a direct blood descendant of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Jacob (Israel) had 12 sons (tribes). They can adopt whatever religion they choose to. Indeed, one of the reasons that God allowed them to be captured often was because despite being chosen by God as His people, they would often follow other gods and idols. The bloodline is transferred via the males, not the females.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Israel and Stuff » Australian FM: Exactly Which Law does ‘Israeli Settlements’ Break?Israel and Stuff

Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
It's hard to imagine another country going to war, taking land, and doing with it what they want while the U.S. encourages them. However, that's what Israel has done. From the early days in the 1940s Zionists - many who didn't even live in that area - waged war to take and colonize land that wasn't theirs. Of course, doing so is as old as prehistory, but for it to be tolerated in contemporary times is very exceptional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies