Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 05:01 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Police were responding to an armed robbery call. The police officer had no choice but to shoot the black who pulled a BB gun that look like a real gun.

Of course the news media jumped on the story of the young black painting him in an innocent light. I ask you to imagine the fear that went through the robbery victim thinking this BB gun was real. This dead boy is a criminal who died in while committing a serious crime.
I applaud the action of the police.
Why would the police have let the other purported participant go? Does not compute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 05:07 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Democratic mayor since 2000. Just saying.
Pittsburgh has had nothing but Democratic mayors since 1934 and the city has been voted America`s Most Livable City 6 times since the year 2000. Just saying.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:54 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
What is with you people? I'm not placing any blame on the toy at all; I'm blaming the aspect of it being an exact replica of the real thing.

What's so hard to understand here?

Are all of your kids with these things restricted to shooting them indoors? Do you know your kid is never going to be on the sidewalk or near a public place where a passing cop might just go all Swat Squad on his azz? Is anyone on here adult enough to admit they do not supervise their 13 year olds 24/7?

This kid was committing a crime but what of the ones who are not but merely taking the thing over to Johnnies big yard to shoot at paper targets and he gets spotted by a passing cop responding to a call of a kid with a gun?

Mrs. Beazley doesn't give a rip if your kid is carrying a BB gun or the real thing. She's on the phone ASAP reporting a kid with a gun walking down her street.

WHY do you all justify the darn things being manufactured to duplicate a real firearm? It's a recipe for disaster and all you can seem to see is the nonsense of "gun blaming". The stupid gun is inert, as are most on here it would seem.

Please give me one reason beyond sales marketing as to why a BB gun should look like a Colt 1911?

Interesting. You are placing blame on the product. Why are you not placing the blame on the kid that played "wannabe gangsta" and decided to brandish a toy/replica/bb gun as if it was real ? The moment the kid made the choice to carry it as if it was a real firearm is the moment he chose the wrong path. He wasn't plinking at cans in a parking lot. They matched the description of a group of kids that had just committed an armed robbery, and when the police showed up, they ran. He chose to carry that night, he chose to run when the police showed, then he chose to pull it on the cop. Seems like the blame is 100% on him.
For the record, growing up, pretty much everyone I knew had bb or pellet guns. None of us decided to carry them around or pull them on cops. Seems like the choice was ours , not the gun...

Once again, the real tragedy is why this 13 year old thought this was the intelligent thing to do.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:37 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
That's bad parenting because I don't believe in handing out weapons to my children at 13???
Say what you mean.

Who said handing out? I've been "handling" firearms since age 7. Same as my kids. That's a far cry from running around with a firearm. In between supervised hunting and shooting trips all weapons are locked up. There is no reason at all not to let kids learn about firearms at a young age. Part of the reason the new age are a bunch of pansies that want to hide in the house and play video games.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:40 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Why would the police have let the other purported participant go? Does not compute.
Maybe being a minor and a parent picked them up. Not sure but that does sound like a trip to juvi at least.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:57 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Those who called 9-11 knew it was fake and the gun was NOT his. His mom had no idea he was playing with it.

I know we have covered this many times.
His uncle altered it for him, he was family. He was hanging out in a gang area where over 30 gang bangers had been arrested over the previous two months.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:59 AM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have supported civil disobedience but I'm pretty sure I never discussed a shooting in Milwaukee.
BS, read your comments in the thread about the Milwaukee riots. You said you can't condemn their violence because the police killed a man with a gun loaded with bullets. You went a little beyond supporting civil disobedience.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:01 AM

89,038 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
And there you have it. Blaming a piece of plastic that looks like a firearm. It's never the parents or the person, it's always the @#$%$ gun.

These "toys" come with a red tip so they are easy to tell as a toy. Unless, of course, you make it look just like a real one. Not your own fault, of course, if you paint it or remove it. We'll just blame the cops and the guns in general.

In this case, IT WAS A REAL GUN. A BB gun is a real gun. Some are strong enough to really mess you up. Go shoot yourself with one and tell us how "real" the wound is.
Same thing happened before two years ago, so kids, their parents, everyone should know better than to pull a realistic looking gun on anyone. Wouldn't an armed law-abiding gun owner have made the same split-second decision to defend themselves? Yes.

Video of Cleveland police shooting of boy released - CNN.com

Old 09-16-2016, 07:08 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Same thing happened before two years ago, so kids, their parents, everyone should know better than to pull a realistic looking gun on anyone. Wouldn't an armed law-abiding gun owner have made the same split-second decision to defend themselves? Yes.

Video of Cleveland police shooting of boy released - CNN.com

Absolutely , and in today's society would probably end up in prison.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:08 AM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The words you used "you have no shame" is where I have problem with. I think you are too harsh on Katygirl. That is all. Get Your Point Across without Being Rude. Article can be pretty misleading, maybe these posters made comments based on the article. They were certainly not "shameless." Gee
Thanks for the defense, but it's pointless to argue with pknopp. He has his mind made up and never waivers. I actually think he makes some valid points a lot of times, but also some pretty bad ones.

If the kid was not involved in the armed robbery, why run from the police? Why pull out a gun that looks like a real gun? I do consider it different than the Tamir Rice situation for that reason. Even if the kid turned out not to be involved in the robbery, the police did not know that at the time. But I suspect they let the other kid go because he was not involved, not necessarily because the other kid was not involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies