Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 08:23 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I agree with this.

He gets the benefit of the doubt just the same as everyone (including this kid) until we see all the information. If it's 18 months from now and the force is still fighting it's release then I'll no longer give the benefit.

People think I am anti-police........just like I often times get called a "liberal" when in reality I am the exact opposite. Condemning poor police actions and the attempts to cover it up is a positive thing where good cops are concerned. We do not get to this place where every action is under a microscope without all the lies and cover ups.

When the bad cops are no longer automatically covered for by the system, it will make things far easier on the good officers.

THis officer and the one trying to defend the actions of this officer should be fired ASAP. It's things like this that have brought us here.

https://usuncut.com/news/pepper-spray-restraint/
Majority of the posts in this thread are yours, so obviously you are very passionate about this subject. calling people shameless and all.

The bold, no comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 08:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Majority of the posts in this thread are yours, so obviously you are very passionate about this subject. calling people shameless and all.

The bold, no comment.
The vast majority are addressing people making statements not in evidence even after it already has been pointed out to them.

That is a part of the problem and why the good cops have it so hard now.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:30 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Condemning poor police actions and the attempts to cover it up is a positive thing where good cops are concerned. We do not get to this place where every action is under a microscope without all the lies and cover ups.

When the bad cops are no longer automatically covered for by the system, it will make things far easier on the good officers.

I agree with the first statement.

The second is where we disagree. I can tell you from personal experience that "The System" also includes many people who also agree with the first statement above, and devote their efforts to getting at the truth. That includes many LEO's who are cooperative with investigations, but who all too often are tarred with the same brush that should be reserved for the criminals in their ranks.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:33 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You know what is shameless?

Headline like this

White Ohio policeman kills black teen armed with BB gun

White Ohio policeman kills black teen armed with BB gun | Reuters

I swear to God some people in this country cannot wait for a bloody race war of some sort.

The officer was identified as Bryan Mason, a nine-year veteran of the force. Police records show that in 2012 he shot and killed a man who was holding another person at gunpoint. The Columbus Dispatch said investigators cleared him.

So it doesn't seem like the officer is a Pathological or a Compulsive Liar or a rookie, or a racist of some sort. Why not giving him the benefit of the doubt? This case is still under investigation.
Agree. The sad part is the media keeps putting an emphasis on the color of one's skin. Just report the news and leave that out of it.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I agree with the first statement.

The second is where we disagree. I can tell you from personal experience that "The System" also includes many people who also agree with the first statement above, and devote their efforts to getting at the truth. That includes many LEO's who are cooperative with investigations, but who all too often are tarred with the same brush that should be reserved for the criminals in their ranks.
There very well may be and it wouldn't surprise me. There have been many instances where an officer is fired for very legitimate reasons and then their union steps in and fights to get their job back. I would have to believe that those who initially fired the officer want to do the right thing.

In the end you are agreeing with me though......as you note, the good ones are getting part of the blame for the bad ones. I'm sure this doesn't sit well with many of the officers. We need a better way of getting rid of the bad ones.

I've also noted that we need to increase training and with increased training comes increased pay but that needs to also come with increased personal responsibility and expectations. We have to have faith in our justice system but there can be no faith when one side is allowed to lie without repercussions.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:41 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
When civilians judge police shooting deaths-on juries, on review boards, in the media, in the community-this same argument is often brought forward. Shooting to wound is naively regarded as a reasonable means of stopping dangerous behavior.

In reality, this thinking is a result of 'training by Hollywood,' in which movie and TV cops are able to do anything to control the outcomes of events that serve the director's dramatic interests. It reflects a misconception of real-life dynamics and ends up imposing unrealistic expectations of skill on real-life officers.

People need to know the differences between police culture and civilian culture. European cops are different from American cops, why? because vast majority of the Europeans are not armed. This doesn't mean European cops are morally superior or something. We have a different culture here. So the issue is WAY too complicated.

Body camera is a positive change though.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Police in Ohio responding to a report of an armed robbery shot and killed a 13-year-old boy who they said pulled a gun from his waistband that was later determined to be a BB gun.

It happened Wednesday night in Columbus.

Police said officers were responding to a report of an armed robbery involving multiple suspects. When they arrived on the scene, they said the victim told them that a group of people approached him and demanded money. The victim said that one of them had a gun.

13 year olds already robbing people... smh

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boy-13-fa...083955386.html
have gun, break the law, prepare to get shot...Stupid kid, bb gun or machine gun, it was still a gun.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ahh there's that "race realism"; seems like Hillary was onto something here
I think the statement was race neutral and certainly applies to ALL youngsters of ANY race.

The young and invincible... Been there myself.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
have gun, break the law, prepare to get shot...Stupid kid, bb gun or machine gun, it was still a gun.
There is no proof the kid broke any law.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:54 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I don't understand why we allow these "toy" companies to manufacture the damn things to look absoutely identical in every respect to some long manufactured semi-automatic pistol.
Oh please. The gun, toy or other, isn't the issue. I don't understand why we allow "parents" to manufacture offspring that are identical in every way to thugs and murderers. We should be prosecuting these so-called parents when their minor-aged children commit violent criminal acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies