Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 09:46 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I will address someone using the pronouns which correspond to what I believe their biological gender to be - not "they", "ze", "zher", or "shim". I will call others on their aberrant behavior.
You're mixing up transgender and those who say there are more than 2 genders or who somehow refuse to believe they are a boy OR a girl.

You don't even know the difference and you expect people to take you and your opinions seriously.

IMO, despite my support for transgender people, I do believe there are only 2 genders and sexes and anything else is utterly ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 10:28 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you have any research that shows that allowing a child who expresses gender dysphoria to dress and behave like his perceived gender "damages" those who grow out of it?

The "public circus" is easily avoided by having others accept the wishes of the family with the transgendered child. What harm does that do to anyone else? Why is it so hard to use the name and pronouns the child wants you to use? There is no need to "pretend they have different genitalia".

It really appears that your viewpoint on this is colored by your distaste for the idea that you yourself had gender dysphoria as a child.
Nope. It is however colored by having experienced it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Would you have been happier as a child if you had not been forced to wear dresses?
It would help if you actually read what I wrote. I was made to where a dress or skirt everyday to school and to church on Sundays. Had I chosen to go with my mother shopping on Saturdays I would have had to wear a skirt or dress then also. I didn't like it but that is just what people did so I easily accepted it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You don't know how it feels unless you are transgender. What you described is not being transgender.

Do you not see what side I'm on here? And can YOU explain it? Doubtful, because nobody can yet; not definitively.
Gosh, how unreasonable am I to think I know what I felt better than you could even remotely know how I felt? You are so right, you are more of an expert on how I felt as a child better than I am and I now bow to your superior knowledge.

Seriously, I am not the one with an agenda. I do however wish parents would wait until the child is developmentally capable of making those life altering decisions - and the research backs me up.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Gosh, how unreasonable am I to think I know what I felt better than you could even remotely know how I felt? You are so right, you are more of an expert on how I felt as a child better than I am and I now bow to your superior knowledge.

Seriously, I am not the one with an agenda. I do however wish parents would wait until the child is developmentally capable of making those life altering decisions - and the research backs me up.
You are not transgender. What you experienced is not transgenderism. I'm not saying what you did or didn't FEEL... just that you are not transgender. I also know girls who had childhoods just like yours. There is a difference between transgenderism and being a little girl who hates traditional little girl gendered things and would rather be a boy. If you are transgender and currently live life as a male, correct me now and I'll apologize.

If my child (say a girl) came to me and said she wants to be a boy, I would talk to her about it - and I would let her be more boyish. Maybe she's transgender (depending on the age she first expresses it), maybe she's not. But there's no harm in letting kids experience life how they want it (to a degree - nobody think I'm being extreme here and supporting letting kids have endless freedom). Like I said before, we have created gender roles. We as a society have said that girls play with dolls and have long hair and wear pretty clothes, and boys are allowed to get dirty and have short hair and play football. If my daughter wants to engage in "boyish" activities and be more like a typical boy, I would let her. However, that doesn't necessarily make her transgender. There is no harm in letting kids dress, play, wear their hair how they want, etc. ignoring traditional gender roles if it is led by the child and not influenced by the parents.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:27 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
You are not transgender. What you experienced is not transgenderism. I'm not saying what you did or didn't FEEL... just that you are not transgender. I also know girls who had childhoods just like yours. There is a difference between transgenderism and being a little girl who hates traditional little girl gendered things and would rather be a boy. If you are transgender and currently live life as a male, correct me now and I'll apologize.

If my child (say a girl) came to me and said she wants to be a boy, I would talk to her about it - and I would let her be more boyish. Maybe she's transgender (depending on the age she first expresses it), maybe she's not. But there's no harm in letting kids experience life how they want it (to a degree - nobody think I'm being extreme here and supporting letting kids have endless freedom). Like I said before, we have created gender roles. We as a society have said that girls play with dolls and have long hair and wear pretty clothes, and boys are allowed to get dirty and have short hair and play football. If my daughter wants to engage in "boyish" activities and be more like a typical boy, I would let her. However, that doesn't necessarily make her transgender. There is no harm in letting kids dress, play, wear their hair how they want, etc. ignoring traditional gender roles if it is led by the child and not influenced by the parents.
My entire point is that children that young are not transgender, they have gender dysmorphia, which at least half will outgrow. By labeling them transgender they are being pigeonholed. Whether there is harm in letting children experience life as they want it is not a debate I wish to get in with you but, regardless, everyone else in society should not be obligated to allow your child to experience life as they want it if they don't want to.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:27 PM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
You're mixing up transgender and those who say there are more than 2 genders or who somehow refuse to believe they are a boy OR a girl.
Go back to the original story here. There is a little GIRL who refuses to believe she *is* a girl. SHE is under the impression that SHE is a boy and the article tells the tale of how SHE is not being accepted into the BOY Scouts. Her mother also has the idea that her DAUGHTER has magically become her son.

Get the whole damn family into therapy! Or lock them all up. Either way, I will not condone indulging the insanity nor denying the reality, no matter how loud they squeal. At the end of it, this little GIRL remains a little GIRL. Hormones or a trip to the operating room for an addadictomy will never change that, but will mess her up further and increase the probability of suicide, of which again, I really do not care.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:32 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times
What's Aleppo? Lol

Old 12-30-2016, 12:54 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Why do the rest of us need to modify our values, beliefs, or behaviors to accommodate the delusions of the mentally ill? When a man, an obvious man, suddenly appeared in my workspace in a dress, should I have gone along with the charade and called him "Susan" because he preferred it? (His beard line was heavier than mine, and I addressed him accordingly in meetings referring to him as him.) I'm not into pretending and prefer reality. Most of us feel that way.

On the psych unit, I remember a man who acted like a snake, crawling on the floor and hissing. Should we all have said "Oh, don't bite me Mr Snake!" or addressed him as "Get up Leonard, it's time to eat."

I will address someone using the pronouns which correspond to what I believe their biological gender to be - not "they", "ze", "zher", or "shim". I will call others on their aberrant behavior.
Great post. I took a psych course in college not that long ago. We were taught to reorient people like this to reality. I recently read an article that said we should no longer do that. Instead, we should all go along with the delusion because - it doesn't hurt anyone so why not? Sorry, but I completely disagree with this "new" approach. If you thonk you're a snake, Im not going to make a nest for you. And that's for "real" delusional patients, not trans people. But I guess the psych establishment is now taking after the transgendered theory.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My entire point is that children that young are not transgender, they have gender dysmorphia, which at least half will outgrow. By labeling them transgender they are being pigeonholed. Whether there is harm in letting children experience life as they want it is not a debate I wish to get in with you but, regardless, everyone else in society should not be obligated to allow your child to experience life as they want it if they don't want to.
What research do you have to back this up? Where is your proof that children that young cannot be transgender? Sounds like an opinion to me. Saying that children that young cannot be transgender implies that it is a decision or something else made or determined later in life - which would support the mental illness theory rather than a biological one, interesting...

Why should "everyone else" be able to NOT allow someone else's child to experience life how they wish? How is it everyone else's business? Since when does everyone else determine what an individual does? Do you want me to control YOUR life??

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 12-30-2016 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-30-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Go back to the original story here. There is a little GIRL who refuses to believe she *is* a girl. SHE is under the impression that SHE is a boy and the article tells the tale of how SHE is not being accepted into the BOY Scouts. Her mother also has the idea that her DAUGHTER has magically become her son.

Get the whole damn family into therapy! Or lock them all up. Either way, I will not condone indulging the insanity nor denying the reality, no matter how loud they squeal. At the end of it, this little GIRL remains a little GIRL. Hormones or a trip to the operating room for an addadictomy will never change that, but will mess her up further and increase the probability of suicide, of which again, I really do not care.
I'm well aware, you are not because you're the one who brought up ridiculous alternate pronouns like "ze" and "zher", even "they", as if it's related to this story. It's not. Don't backtrack now when you know you got mixed up.

Transgenderism and the idea that there are more than 2 genders one can identify as are not the same; at least not in this particular story.

I'm so glad you get to determine who is a male and who is a female and that you have solved the transgender mystery, as a renowned scientist or doctor studying the subject. OH WAIT... you haven't, you're not, and you're just another person with an uneducated, un-researched opinion.

Unlike some of you, I don't pretend to know what goes on inside the bodies and minds of transgender people, and I don't pretend I have all the answers when even science and medicine don't.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:51 PM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Why should "everyone else" be able to NOT allow someone else's child to experience life how they wish? How is it everyone else's business? Since when does everyone else determine what an individual does? Do you want me to control YOUR life??
Because if I have a boy in the BOY Scout troop, and a GIRL dressed as a boy attempts to join, I am going to go to the scoutmaster, the local council, the sponsoring organization, and all of the other parents and raise hell demanding that this is a group for boys and (real) boys only. She may be a very nice little girl, but she obviously has severe psychological issues and needs help outside of a group dedicated to boys. If the local Tranny Troops USA want to take her in, that's up to them as I have no dog in that fight.

"Everyone else" gets to have a say when a particular individual intrudes in an unwelcome or unacceptable manner. That's when it becomes everyone else's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies