Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:34 PM

14,436 posts, read 14,379,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
why would he not whine? Chuck and Nancy keep meeting with him, but will not budge an inch. Trump has said, in good faith, I am willing to talk, they are willing to not even listen..
Nita,

Do you call it good faith when he says he won't reopen the government until they agree to build the wall? I call it being inflexible.

Look, I could see some kind of compromise involving the dreamers and border security, but Trump hasn't proposed that. Its his job as President to take the lead and I don't see that happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 03:35 PM

2,362 posts, read 781,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So I told my spouse I wanted to spend $5 million on villa in Lake Como. I had promised myself and the kids that we would someday live next to George Clooney in Italy and that for the sake of my mental health as well as the promise I made to our kids, I wanted him to write the check.

He said I was out of my ever-loving mind. We were already in debt up to our eyeballs and overdrawn at the bank as it was.

I said, "Well, fine. If that's the way you are going to be, then I'm going to shut this place down. No cooking. No cleaning. Nothing. "

What exactly would the compromise be here, pray tell?

I'm not going to satisfied with a week at an Airbnb at the beach. He's not going to borrow $5 million to buy an Italian villa?
Take your example, and then add that your expenses for 2019 are 5 billion. And then adding a 5 million dollar item doesn't seem to be that big of a deal anymore.

Or for those of you who are challenged by these numbers, let's say you wanted some new car for $25,000 when your expenses were 25 million dollars for this upcoming year. Your husband says you can't afford that car because he's in debt, yet the allocated budget is 25 million dollars, including $100,000s worth of stuff neither you nor him can account for.

Or better yet, take an example of the family eating out at a restaurant. You allow each kid up to $25 dollars. One kid finds something he really really wants, and it's for $25.03. Just 3 cents over. You say no, your maximum was up to $25 and you're already in debt so you can't afford these 3 cents. He says if he doesn't get this menu item he won't eat with the family, you say fine no one will eat, over these 3 cents. So instead, you circle the car back and drive home. The gas wasted was well over 3 cents, but principle here was important.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:38 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,304,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
He agreed to a budget a few weeks ago. Why didn't he sign it? What's there to negotiate now?
We all know why.

Ingraham, Limbaugh and Coulter vetoed it. That is the reason ALL of this BS is happening. Because the ex-reality show host uses radio hosts as is 'Senior Counsel.' Those bozos created this mess--the Dems should not give in because of a bunch of tv and radio talk show hosts. That is what this man Trump has brought us--it is ridiculous.

In addition, the Dems made Trump an offer--just open some of the government agencies, so people can feed their families, and then discuss the wall, which Pence seemed to agree with--saying something like 'we have to do this', but Donny walked out.

And the polls are out. Trump gets the blame and now 4 GOP senators are voting with the Dems. So his big speech and childish antics actually helped the Dems.

Good job Trump!

Old 01-09-2019, 03:38 PM

8,398 posts, read 4,394,264 times
The Art of the Deal ------ if you don't get what you want -- whhhhhhhiiiiiiiinnnnnnneeeeeee.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:41 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,647,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And what pray tell, should Trump be doing? If he opens the government, Chuck and Nancy win, and then all we hear is how Trump failed on his Wall promise. Then Chuck and Nancy can pull the same game the next time he needs something funded.
So, for 2 years under GOP control in Congress, and endless promises that Mexico would pay for his wall and suddenly it’s the Democrats fault we have a shutdown? Great logic

Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 PM

25,456 posts, read 9,856,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
He walked out because they stonewalled him. They are too pig headed to work with Trump on anything. Their only goal is to destroy him. I love how last night, they vaguely referred to other measures of border security, yet all that means is kicking the can down the road.
They actually did work with Trump about three weeks ago. Both parties and Trump all agreed on a budget. He walked away.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,510,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
The Art of the Deal ------ if you don't get what you want -- whhhhhhhiiiiiiiinnnnnnneeeeeee.
And write a book claiming you won the deal.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:46 PM

10,260 posts, read 15,978,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Trump confirmed the Sen. Schumer quote that he (Trump)-was willing to keep the government shutdown for months if not years just to get the wall. That is very unsettling to furloughed federal workers, those federal workers like TSA and FAA as well as the federal contractors. If I were and I missed two paychecks, I would leave. I'd also be calling my Representative and Senators too.
You'll just have to see if these Senators and Representatives care more about you or about the illegal aliens.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:46 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,744,002 times
Failed President and failed negotiator. I have to admit though, watching him flail about like an angry toddler does have its comedic value.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:47 PM

25,456 posts, read 9,856,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The shutdown is affecting me. I'm realizing just how pig headed the Democrats are. They won't even admit that there is an issue at the border. It is scary how delusional the Dems are about this yet they are willing to play politics with peoples lives as they play chicken with Trump.

I guess it just goes to show that the Democrats are not used to NOT getting what they want and they call Trump a child?
Of course they admit it. How many times do they have to say they want border security before people will hear it? Trump, Dems and Reps had a deal about three weeks ago and he walked away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies