Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 01:17 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
I work less than a mile from this neighborhood. A lot of my coworkers are Somali Muslims. In general they are good people. I have no beef with them. They want the same things as previous waves of immigrants - prosperity, peace, safety and good lives for their kids. They dress differently and have a different religion but those are the only differences and are largely superficial.
*GASP* Nooooooooooo!!! That can’t be possible! They’re invading our country to make us all Muslims! LOLOL!

On a serious note, what are the demographics of the neighborhood? Is it largely Muslim? Are you hearing the calls to prayer?

Old 04-24-2020, 01:19 PM

8,506 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Call to prayer is not a call to come to any building.
This. Are church bells allowed to ring?

Old 04-24-2020, 01:20 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
*GASP* Nooooooooooo!!! That can’t be possible! They’re invading our country to make us all Muslims! LOLOL!
So again. you'd be fine with Christian prayers and/or songs being broadcasted publicly on a regular basis and OK with being forced to listen to it.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So again. you'd be fine with Christian prayers and/or songs being broadcasted publicly on a regular basis and OK with being forced to listen to it.
Yes, please see my previous posts. I am a Christian and have no problem with hearing prayers from any other religion. Christian songs are played via church bells in certain places, including the capital of this nation. Also, Ramadan is not all year.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:25 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
The church I go to plays loud music on Sundays that you can definitely hear for quite a distance. The post office, a bookstore, an office supply store, a few restaurants, a thrift shop, and some other businesses are right there. Everyone in the parking lot can 100% hear the church music three times on Sunday mornings and once on Saturday evenings. I don't think anyone has complained.

I also used to live several blocks from a Catholic church, which rang its bells at 7:30 am every day plus a few times on Sundays. I could hear it if I had windows open or if I was on my lanai. I liked it and never heard any complaints.

I think this is way less of an issue than you think it is and that it happens all the time and nobody really cares. The only reason the posters on this board who don't even live in Minneapolis care is because it's something about Muslims.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Fine for you I suppose, but if a predominantly Evangelical area was broadcasting this week's Sunday sermon over the loudspeakers all over town, the sue-crazy atheist crowds would be losing their damn minds.

It's not too much to ask for equal treatment under the law, is it?
Sermons are far longer than the call to prayer so that would likely violate rules and regulations. But hey, as long as you are fine with hearing an Imam or rabbi speak as well...

Old 04-24-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The church I go to plays loud music on Sundays that you can definitely hear for quite a distance. The post office, a bookstore, an office supply store, a few restaurants, a thrift shop, and some other businesses are right there. Everyone in the parking lot can 100% hear the church music three times on Sunday mornings and once on Saturday evenings. I don't think anyone has complained.

I also used to live several blocks from a Catholic church, which rang its bells at 7:30 am every day plus a few times on Sundays. I could hear it if I had windows open or if I was on my lanai. I liked it and never heard any complaints.

I think this is way less of an issue than you think it is and that it happens all the time and nobody really cares. The only reason the posters on this board who don't even live in Minneapolis care is because it's something about Muslims.
Thank you for this. I’m a Sabbath-keeping Christian but I would hear loud music from Sunday churches right into my old place. It was so loud that I could sing along. No one in the area complained. I am sure it continues to this day.

I’ve heard church bells playing entire hymns and no one complains. Like you said, this happens more than what many would like to believe. It’s just because this involves Muslims that some people take issue with it.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:31 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post

On a serious note, what are the demographics of the neighborhood? Is it largely Muslim? Are you hearing the calls to prayer?
Quote:
....or, how about broadcasting Jewish prayers in Hebrew throughout the day? Starting at 5:00 a.m. We can start with the one about not worshipping anyone but the Lord.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
....or, how about broadcasting Jewish prayers in Hebrew throughout the day? Starting at 5:00 a.m. We can start with the one about not worshipping anyone but then Lord.
I have no problem with that. I would likely pray at whatever times they do. Choose whatever holy days you prefer. Personally, things should be equal. Just like we have Christian holidays, we should have Jewish and Muslim ones etc. Either we have them for all or none at all.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:40 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
We can start with the one about not worshipping anyone but the Lord.
"There is no deity but God" sort of thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies