Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 08:12 AM

41,999 posts, read 75,335,663 times

Advertisements

My workplace doesn't play the national anthem at 9 a.m. every morning before we get down to business. Does yours? Why should the NBA play it before it gets down to business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If, God forbid, we ever do have a civil war, I hope all the pathological traitors like you are wiped off the continent forever
If you believe that wondering why playing the national anthem before a sporting event is an indication of being a traitor, you need a new dictionary.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:15 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,751,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
- Commitment to being a country of immigrants.

- free press

- 2nd Amendment rights

- Work ethic

- The national psyche, you love a winner.

Of course, I'm merely a naturalized citizen, so maybe my opinion counts less to you than someone born and raised here.
Fair enough, as it happens most who deride shows of Patriotism typically are completely ungrateful and un-recognizing of the virtues of the US and how good we have it here compared to the rest of the planet. They have been trained to self-hate and hold self-guilt

Old 02-10-2021, 08:15 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,420,843 times
It's an odd tradition, anyway.

Coerced patriotism isn't really patriotism at all.

I'd be fine if every sporting event ceased the practice. What other entertainment events do it? We don't play the anthem before a movie, play, concert, etc. Why sports?

Old 02-10-2021, 08:24 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,542,643 times
For you folks triggered about not singing the national anthem, maybe I'll split the difference and sing it in Spanish. /sarcasm

I'd have to learn more Spanish, though.

And I'll always sing "The Eyes of Texas" before (the real) UT football games.

Final note- in my travels and observations, the only sporting events in other countries where the country's national anthem is played is when the country's national team is playing...and then they usually play the other team's anthem too. Most of the world thinks our custom is silly and fake patriotism.

As this thread amply demonstrates.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:25 AM

2,082 posts, read 926,776 times
These WOKE NBA players won’t stand for the National Anthem yet they take that same nation’s currency, I guess they aren’t WOKE enough to take the Chinese Yuan or Mexican Peso to make a point.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:32 AM

25,946 posts, read 18,946,695 times
Seems like professional sports, in general, is doing everything it can to alienate middle American and make themselves irrelevant and unwatched.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:34 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,751,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
For you folks triggered about not singing the national anthem, maybe I'll split the difference and sing it in Spanish. /sarcasm

I'd have to learn more Spanish, though.

And I'll always sing "The Eyes of Texas" before (the real) UT football games.

Final note- in my travels and observations, the only sporting events in other countries where the country's national anthem is played is when the country's national team is playing...and then they usually play the other team's anthem too. Most of the world thinks our custom is silly and fake patriotism.

As this thread amply demonstrates.
What is the OBJECTION to to the anthem? What is so offensive to you that you must stamp it out

Old 02-10-2021, 08:37 AM

16,680 posts, read 8,677,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Never understood the need for the anthem to be played before every sporting event. It was even played at my kids' little league games. Like, I know which country I'm in.

It's the kind of thing that happens in North Korea or other dictatorships.
at your N Korea analogy.

Maybe you do not seem to think of the national anthem in the same way most others do.
It is primarily to give thanks for those who sacrificed so we can continue to enjoy our freedom. What better place to give honor and respect, than at a sporting event, which is the epitome of leisure time entertainment we enjoy.

`

Old 02-10-2021, 08:38 AM

11,371 posts, read 16,752,162 times
It's his team and he can do what he wants. IMO, Cuban like Springsteen are POS.

Just remember this if he considers running for Pres in 2024.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:39 AM

4,308 posts, read 1,567,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Precisely.

Not sure when it started, but I know some places, I think the Chicago Cubs was one them, didn't start doing the anthem until the 1960's. People act like it's been a tradition since time immemorial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies