Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 190 39.34%
No 247 51.14%
Unsure 46 9.52%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 11:03 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I know; that was a big mistake. We wouldn't be in the position we're in today if we had taken a firmer stance in 2014. So we're paying the price now. If we don't, we'll be having this same conversation when Russia takes back Latvia and invades Poland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
It's good to see we've corrected course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If Russia succeeds in Ukraine it seems to me there next target would be Kazakhstan. Then Turkmenistan, giving them a border with Iran.
But who wants to find out?........ Destroy Russia now, while it can be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Exactly if Russia gets away with this, historians will look back on this as the chance the western world had to defend freedom and blew it. It's now or never.

I'm not much of a fan of Russia/Putin...but I think Obama made the right decision back in '14.
Putin is a USSR guy...he bemoans the breakup. It's only been 30 years.
He "wants to get the band back together".
I think the U.S. has stuck it's nose into a lot of things that we shouldn't have. It has cost us lots of blood & treasure.
This one is mostly treasure...but that could change, depending on how Putin responds to having to fight all Ukraines' backers this time.
On the other hand...many politicians and corporations have made a fortune off of all this.
Lots of Countries do things we don't agree with.
The U.S. does a lot other Countries don't agree with.
The difference is the U.S. thinks that because it is the top-dog in wealth & power that it should be able to dictate to the world...and determine who it wants to be the winner & the loser in these dust-ups the other side of the globe, at any given time. And many times it ends up bad & not being worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 11:19 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I’m actually less concerned about that region because Russia doesn’t like Muslim extremism any more than we do and I think the heavy Russian influence already in the Stans does serve as something of a check against radicalization in an area that often trends more Muslim than Christian.
All the more reason it shouldn't be part of Russia. If the USSR hadn't broken up, it might well have been a majority Muslim country by 2050. The Stans still have very high birth rates.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:32 AM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,783,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm not much of a fan of Russia/Putin...
Are you sure?

Quote:
One of the main reasons that Russia took a aggressive stance is because it did not want a NATO Country on it's border, and Ukraine was looking to join.
Now...Russia is basically fighting NATO, all the military resources they are fighting against are NATO supplied.
I predict that this will frustrate and infuriate Putin to the point that he will feel that going beyond conventional munitions in the fight is justified.
I do not believe that he will accept being defeated and ousted by NATO armaments.
The actions of the U.S., UK, Germany, Poland and others are going to be the cause of the worst possible outcome.
I think people forget who/what Russia is: They were the first in outer space...the Space Station belongs to the Russians...they have the largest nuclear arsenal, that has included the Tsar Bomba, a 58 Megaton warhead.
Our government has even said that "Nuclear Armageddon" is a potential because of this. So....

Go ahead...keep cheerleading these corrupt fools....see where it gets ya.
Putin will not "lose"...he will "win", one way or another.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
All the more reason it shouldn't be part of Russia. If the USSR hadn't broken up, it might well have been a majority Muslim country by 2050. The Stans still have very high birth rates.
The Russian Federation doesn’t pay lip service to equality and brotherhood like the Soviet Communist regime did and if you want to reach the top in Russia these days, you either need to be ethnic Russian or some sort of sports star. (Sporting glory remains a pathway to power in Russia)

Old 11-30-2022, 12:12 PM

46,971 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Putin is a USSR guy...he bemoans the breakup. It's only been 30 years.
He "wants to get the band back together".
Challenge: The band members hate him. A bit like Roger Waters and the rest of Pink Floyd. (Waters is pro-Russia, incidentally.)

Old 11-30-2022, 01:23 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
We all may be majority Muslim by 2050.

As women get more education and opportunities, they tend to have fewer children.

At the moment, there are a lot of young Muslim women with few opportunities, so babies it is.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:55 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Challenge: The band members hate him. A bit like Roger Waters and the rest of Pink Floyd. (Waters is pro-Russia, incidentally.)
I am speaking to my speculation of Putin's mindset relative to the issue...and how that drives his motivations & actions.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:39 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We all may be majority Muslim by 2050.

As women get more education and opportunities, they tend to have fewer children.

At the moment, there are a lot of young Muslim women with few opportunities, so babies it is.
Iran’s birth rate had ended up below or around replacement rate for a while- their public health campaign of ‘Allah says a family is a man, a woman, and two children’ worked a little too well. Saudi Arabia is at 2.24 children per woman (only slightly above replacement rate) Indonesia is similar. Malaysia is below replacement rate. Iraq is around 3.5, which is solid but not exceptional growth. Pakistan is around 3.3

The African countries with the larger Muslim populations tend to have higher birth rates, but only a small percentage of those folks seem interested in making it to the Americas.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:54 PM

46,971 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
I am speaking to my speculation of Putin's mindset relative to the issue...and how that drives his motivations & actions.
Not a great simile, then. I see him more like a drunk violent divorcee, plotting how to get his ex and the kids back. It wasn't all bad times, right? And they'd have never left if it wasn't for those a-hole neighbors giving them ideas. And that house should be his, who does she think she is?

Old 11-30-2022, 04:43 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Germany offered Poland Patriot anti-missile systems.
Poland said, "Nah, put them in Ukraine."
Russia said, "You do that, and they will be legitimate targets."

Well.......... No screaming shyte. You mean to tell me Russia may actually shoot at anti-missile systems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies