Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,218,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, that's not what I see. Quite the opposite. The ones that seem most successful treat women like regular people, closer to friends than assets.
This disconnect seems apparent for young people. "Successful" looks like having lots of sex. Young people are stupid (really inexperienced) and bravado can be mistaken by girls for confidence. So early on it looks like "players" are more "successful". Read: they get laid. Just like most "players" grow up and realize that that is not much fun and is eventually empty and meaningless, girls grow up and realize what confidence really looks like. When the desire to have a relationship happens, either players or people who came to idolize players either grow up themselves or get stuck in youthful stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 07:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This disconnect seems apparent for young people. "Successful" looks like having lots of sex. Young people are stupid (really inexperienced) and bravado can be mistaken by girls for confidence. So early on it looks like "players" are more "successful". Read: they get laid. Just like most "players" grow up and realize that that is not much fun and is eventually empty and meaningless, girls grow up and realize what confidence really looks like. When the desire to have a relationship happens, either players or people who came to idolize players either grow up themselves or get stuck in youthful stupidity.
I can see that perspective, I'm sure I thought that way when I was a kid too.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I can see that perspective, I'm sure I thought that way when I was a kid too.
I think this is evident in a lot of threads here. In our youth, we have experiences that color our view of the other gender. Some of us get stuck in the mindset of evaluating "women" and "men" based on these early experiences. These people are destined (doomed?) to lack of success because relationships are based on two PEOPLE on two instances of gender. If a person cannot get past measuring their past experiences and conclusions based on gender, they are unlikely to form personal relationships.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:18 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,811,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Just because it didn't work for you, doesn't mean it hasn't, or won't work for others. It's clearly worked for plenty of other people, and a lot have met people through it.

And regarding the stigma, don't you think it would work the other way around as well? If what you said is true, then most women wouldn't use it or go on dates with people from it.

Personally, OLD has worked out way better for me than IRL.
It works best for guys in certain cities such as you in New York. You could take your exact profile and change your location to Las Vegas or something and you would probably have a totally different experience. I do way better in RL and that's how I got into all of my relationships in the past. There has to be a reason for that...the disparity doesn't really make sense. Some guys just have the magical profile for their area that tickles the women there such as having the right trendy buzzword degrees and occupations and so on. In areas that are more blue collar the guys that are rougher looking or have a certain look and have a job in the oil and gas industry or something will do better.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 AM

Woa. I did not get the memo on what degree is trendy these days. I must be missing out. Can someone please tell me the trending degree so I may date properly? I am in the North East of the US btw. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Woa. I did not get the memo on what degree is trendy these days. I must be missing out. Can someone please tell me the trending degree so I may date properly? I am in the North East of the US btw. Thanks.
In the NE metros probably STEM jobs and degrees. Whatever the for-profit schools are brainwashing people to get into.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 01-10-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
In the NE metros probably STEM jobs and degrees.
Who knew? I've been dating all the wrong guys.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
Who knew? I've been dating all the wrong guys.
I have never, ever been asked pre date, or in a first date, what degree I have that I can recall. They may ask what I do, but not what my degree is.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I have never, ever been asked pre date, or in a first date, what degree I have that I can recall. They may ask what I do, but not what my degree is.
Far be it from me to argue with men who are not getting dates what we women who do go on dates prefer!

Old 01-10-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Far be it from me to argue with men who are not getting dates what we women who do go on dates prefer!
Occupation and degree is 2 of the main things women look at on OLD profiles, ergo, assessment of social and socioeconomic status. They have done surveys on all of this I hope you realize. It stands to reason in certain areas people with a certain job and/or degree may do better based on just that alone. What I originally said is true location is a big part of success for men in regards to OLD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships