Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men: Would you date a woman who majored/minored in Feminist or Women's Studies?
Yes, no problem 15 41.67%
Eh, depends on whether or not she is attractive 5 13.89%
Nah, don't think I need the hassles 3 8.33%
No, and how fast can I run? 12 33.33%
Other - explain 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:02 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This can't possibly be robertpolyglot, can it? Naaah...
Lol, trust me, I'm not.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
No. You're right for you and your pov. I'm right for me and my pov. It doesn't mean that my pov is going to be correct for you.

I have no idea what pro-choicers think en masse. We all have our opinions and pov's. It doesn't really matter what you or I think when it comes to another person's liberty and freedom.
Or lack of liberty and freedom (to live), for that matter.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
But yes, if we're talking feminism as a whole - I have no problem with it.
Great, we're getting somewhere.

btw, women's studies isn't all about victimhood. It's about overlooked female heroines in history, women scientists and writers, etc. It's about women as agents for positive social change, historically. It's not this silly little thing you're reducing it to. I'm not a women's studies student, btw, I only took one course after I'd graduated from college, just to see what it was about. I guess you don't like Ethnic Studies majors, either? Just wondering.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
If we're dating then it becomes quite obvious that we have connected on some or many levels. What difference would it make if she majored in Feminist or Women's Studies? I like her and she likes me: pretty elementary.
Excellent point.

When we meet people that we have chemistry with, we rarely care what their chosen profession really is. If we do care, we just don't go out with them in the first place.

There is someone for everyone in this world, no matter how weird, off beat, right wing, left coast, tall, short, fat, bigoted, attractive, rich or poor they are.

The key is to quit seeing folks in such generalized terms.

We are all individuals. We are all unique.

We may share some ideals or some characteristics, but only a fool judges a whole group/class/culture/gender by one hard and fast rule.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
With all the things one can study in college and the courses one can take that have practical or artistic value (Thermodynamics, Immunology, Investments, Child Psychology, Musical Composition, Construction Estimating, English Composition, History of the World Wars, etc.), some schools might offer a major/minor in Feminist or Women's Studies.

Would you date a woman who zealously took up such a major/minor?

I've never seen what their curriculum looks like (FS ~ Feminist Studies), but I could only imagine:

FS 101 Intro to Women's Studies
FS 102 Psychological Issues pertinent to Women

FS 201 From Emancipation to Empowerment
FS 202 Woman as Victim through the Ages
FS 203 Women and Violence through the Ages

FS 301 Women's Contributions to Literature
FS 302 Sexual Fluidity and Gender Roles
FS 303 The Myth of the Glass Ceiling

FS 401 The Decline of the Nuclear Family
FS 402 Alternative Familial Structures and Support Systems
FS 403 Resources for Women
FS 404 Independent Research - Capstone project

I mean, what are they going to do with such a major, other than argue with you? They wouldn't dream of an equivalent curriculum for men, so why waste taxpayer dollars for something like the above?
I didnt even bother to read the responses first but to my knowledge there is no such thing as feminists or womans' studies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Great, we're getting somewhere.

btw, women's studies isn't all about victimhood. It's about overlooked female heroines in history, women scientists and writers, etc. It's about women as agents for positive social change, historically. It's not this silly little thing you're reducing it to. I'm not a women's studies student, btw, I only took one course after I'd graduated from college, just to see what it was about. I guess you don't like Ethnic Studies majors, either? Just wondering.
Of course not, I actually sometimes feel feminists have been unfairly stereotyped and squeezed into this cartoonish caricature in the public imagination. I've met maybe four individuals who somewhat fit this stereotype, so I suppose I was going on that. But let's discount by personal bias then, shall we?

I know it's a complex thing. I still don't agree with everything every feminist author has written about - I doubt feminists would either.

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Or lack of liberty and freedom (to live), for that matter.
Whatever the case, you don't control the body of another human being. The only person that ever controls another person's body is that of a woman and a fetus. It begins there. It ends there. The rest of us have no choice but to accept it.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I didnt even bother to read the responses first but to my knowledge there is no such thing as feminists or womans' studies.
Keep reading. Someone posted the women's studies curriculum at Wellesley, a woman's college outside Boston...and an expensive one, at that.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Whatever the case, you don't control the body of another human being. The only person that every control another person's body is that of a woman and a fetus. It begins there. It ends there. The rest of us have no choice but to accept it.
The right to kill is one area where I think feminists have gone out of control. I bet many early feminists would be aghast at the whole thing.

Also, for instance, I'm sure many self-described feminists would like to greatly extend the scope of what is defined as 'rape' and increase the penalties greatly.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Whatever the case, you don't control the body of another human being. The only person that ever controls another person's body is that of a woman and a fetus. It begins there. It ends there. The rest of us have no choice but to accept it.
The point I was making is that the "Keep Your Laws Off My Body" sticker was on cars belonging to women who men would NOT impregnate in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships