Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 08:13 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course it's depressing and disturbing. It's a sad side to our lives, and it's very real for quite a few of us. But just because we didn't get love, it doesn't mean that we don't have happiness in "productive, positive forms" in other parts of our lives. I do. However, not finding love IS the specific topic of the thread.
Indeed, coming to terms that one is "unlucky in love" is the thread's topic.

I think many people here have shared their experiences with how to cope with it.

For me, it was an educational experience. I learned something about myself. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I was a romantic, sensitive guy ... one who assumed some day I would meet the love of my life and live happily ever after. That never happened.

I learned to accept my predicament.

I learned that I was a whole person even as a single person ... not someone else's "other half."

I learned that yearning, craving, and desiring things is a form of misery. It is the opposite of contentment and serenity.

I have learned to love myself, and now - finally - I do not need validation from other people. I think this is the beginning a life long love affair.

Whatever happens in the future I do not know, I'm not a psychic. I rejoice in everything that have attained and have let go of past disappointments ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 08:51 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXXI View Post
*scratches head*

Eh....wazzat?

Clarify, please.

If I'm reading your post right, I disagree in the strongest possible way. I probably WOULD be willing to have a gf again, depending, but there's no way in all of creation that I'd get married again. Want to spend many years together, hang out, travel, camp, whatever, in addition to normal relationship stuff (sex)? Great. Marriage? Out of the question, get out of my car and get out of my life.

I ever have another relationship, first time she brings up marriage, she gets a warning. Second time, she's shown the door.
I don't really get what you're attempting to express, but to clarify my post... if the sex happens too early without a series of demonstrable acts of commitment, then a woman should be incredulous and act accordingly.

And if you're having sex within the first few months w/o acts and verbal proclamations of verifiable, exclusive commitment (verbally and via action) then you should be viewed with skepticism, too.

All told, a man is still a man.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:50 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Didn't know this thread was still going, but someone repped me for a post, so I started reading it again. This is from last year, but I'm still going to quote it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
...If you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy the solitude. It's because they have tried fitting into into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them...
Boy isn't that the truth.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:52 AM

95 posts, read 107,382 times
I have.. 2 marriages and I am done..I am not even remotely open to it..or I dont think i am until I see a nice looking or funny guy and then I wonder..

Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
I don't really get what you're attempting to express, but to clarify my post... if the sex happens too early without a series of demonstrable acts of commitment, then a woman should be incredulous and act accordingly.

And if you're having sex within the first few months w/o acts and verbal proclamations of verifiable, exclusive commitment (verbally and via action) then you should be viewed with skepticism, too.

All told, a man is still a man.
Pretty much this is my lesson learned.

In a way, I don't regret it (the sex that is, it was good), but I do regret giving this guy a piece of my heart since he obviously didn't want it. I think he wants to be sad. Why do I say that? He's still going around with a "poor me, women don't love me" attitude. Okay, maybe I wasn't his type or something, but still. How can he wallow in that? When I was in the process of falling for him, I used to think he was a diamond in the rough, that no one could see what a wonderful guy he was--that he was under appreciated by women. In a lot of ways, he is a good man, he can be very kind and generous to people and he's worked hard and given back to society. He has a lot of friends who care about him a lot. These good qualities are what attracted me to him in the first place. But when it comes to love, he's miserable and alone because he chooses to be.

I guess the difference between me and him is that I just wrack it up to bad luck with men and I am just moving on to other focuses. My life is pretty happy and balanced and being in a relationship would simply add to the goodness. I will make the best of it and who knows (I never say never ). He also wracks it up to bad luck but is still looking and is sullen about it and sometimes bitter. It's like he likes to be the victim and doesn't want to make the best of things.

Anyway, lesson learned. Maybe a bit the hard way, but still learned.

Last edited by jillabean; 05-28-2014 at 06:50 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 04:03 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Yes I have.

I think LASTING romantic love is about as common as a unicorn.

I think lasting romantic love is like the milkman and telephone operators - a fond relic of a more innocent time.

Too much ego, too many narcissists nowdays. Love means giving and as you can see on this forum, everyone wants to TAKE.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:47 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Many off-topic posts have been deleted from the thread. Folks, stay on topic or refrain from posting.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:17 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
I've still given up on love.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:57 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The question is: "Single people: have any of you given up on finding love or a committed relationship? Whether yes or no, please explain why."
Not permanently, but Yes, for the time being, in order to focus on other things, such as my education and my other hobbies.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 AM

540 posts, read 453,439 times
Given up? No. Extremely skeptical and keep partners at an arms distance? Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships