Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 01:19 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
This "Woe as Me" party is kinda disturbing and quite depressing. May you all find lasting peace and happiness... in some productive, positive form, and not lean to an over reliance on romantic love being THE means of happiness.
Of course it's depressing and disturbing. It's a sad side to our lives, and it's very real for quite a few of us. But just because we didn't get love, it doesn't mean that we don't have happiness in "productive, positive forms" in other parts of our lives. I do. However, not finding love IS the specific topic of the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 03:54 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,905,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course it's depressing and disturbing. It's a sad side to our lives, and it's very real for quite a few of us. But just because we didn't get love, it doesn't mean that we don't have happiness in "productive, positive forms" in other parts of our lives. I do. However, not finding love IS the specific topic of the thread.
Romantic love, right? Please, please tell me you have other forms of love in your life, right?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:29 PM

543 posts, read 534,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
It doesn't really help when I log on to FB to find out that many of my friends are currently engaged, some of them got engaged this weekend.

It puts things in perspective for me. I won't ever have an opportunity to know what that feeling is like.
Someone will be along shortly to patronize you with "Don't worry sport!" or "Awwww, it'll happen eventually Froggy!"

Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 PM

543 posts, read 534,497 times
Quote:
Romantic love, right? Please, please tell me you have other forms of love in your life, right?
Don't know about mighty, but there's pretty much nothing here on my end.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:48 PM

323 posts, read 308,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
Someone will be along shortly to patronize you with "Don't worry sport!" or "Awwww, it'll happen eventually Froggy!"
Or throw some shaming language at him. That's a pretty popular tactic too.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Lol, fear not, yes, I do. I have a grown daughter, a mother, siblings, and friends. Oh, and the mentally challenged mailroom guy at work says he loves me, too.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:26 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,905,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lol, fear not, yes, I do. I have a grown daughter, a mother, siblings, and friends. Oh, and the mentally challenged mailroom guy at work says he loves me, too.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:59 PM

863 posts, read 1,129,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
It doesn't really help when I log on to FB to find out that many of my friends are currently engaged, some of them got engaged this weekend.

It puts things in perspective for me. I won't ever have an opportunity to know what that feeling is like.
I know it's difficult, but I say try to understand that we don't always know what goes on in someone's relationship behind closed doors. Many people get married because "that's the thing to do." I'm not saying that's what's happening with your friends, but it does happen often. How many times do you hear about women complaining that they want to get married because their biological clocks are ticking? I mean, just look at this thread (that I see you've posted on) //www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-should-i.html It seems the OP's more concerned about appearances/status than loving the one she's with. There's plenty of others like her.

The point? I hope seeing others happiness won't discourage you as all you're seeing are images of certain moments. We don't see what's in their futures. You'll see couples project their love via social media, but will it stand the test of time? That is what really matters. Please don't take this as a negative post because I'm being realistic. It's just that it's obvious that not all couples last when divorce lawyers are stinkin' rich because they're high in demand lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
Not from me. I don't believe in giving someone false hope. There's a very real chance that he'll never meet someone. However, I'd find that a lot better than meeting someone, thinking they're in love with you and marrying them followed by divorce, losing half/most of your possessions and alimony/child support. In the end, you'd be worse off than back to square one: single and broker than you were before getting married.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:23 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,353,392 times
I do have a new perspective on this.

I still haven't given up on Love. However, I have wanted to. I thought I came close, but now...

I have Love. I'm not in a relationship anymore, but I do have a lot of Love to give. I don't care all that much if it is reciprocated. I am at the point where I just want the people I care about to be safe. That's the kind of Love I have, and I probably wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:34 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
It's been a year since I posted here but I think I've pretty much thrown in the towel. The relationship I posted about fizzled out--turns out he was never into me. Just liked the sex.

Anyway, I figure life is to short to be all wrapped up in this romantic love nonsense. The amount of time and money I've spent sorting through online dating, going to speed dating events, and wasted dating men who were either jerk, nuts, or just not really into me... meh.

I've never had good luck with men--I mean, they find me attractive at first, but I usually end up being "one of the guys" in the end. It's annoying as hell to be told, "I wish my wife/girlfriend/SO was more like you... you're cool" or "I wish I could find a girl like you." All I can think of is, "no you don't... deep down, you don't." But it is cool to have so many male friends... they are fun to be around as we tend to share the same interests.

But I am not going to change who I am for anyone--been there, done that, and was miserable. I have plenty of non-romantic love in my life with family, friends, and even my dog loves me. I have a pretty fulfilling life and cool hobbies. I've been kind of thinking what it is I want to do now--to "fill the void" so to speak. Looking for love did take up a lot of time. I am considering travel for more life experiences. It would be nice to have a travel buddy--maybe I can join a travel club of some sort although I might make it scuba diving travel related. Maybe I could do something like make a nice bucket list of wrecks to go dive (you know, like Andrea Doria, Britanic, U-869, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships