Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 10:46 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,215,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I went to my weekly rap group for men over 50 at a community center, and this topic came up. I thought it was interesting.

The question is: "Single people: have any of you given up on finding love or a committed relationship? Whether yes or no, please explain why."

I would love it if you would share your thoughts on this topic.

Yes, I pretty much have at this point. It would take the Titanic to resurface before I could honestly trust a woman again! I came into this world alone, and that's how I'm sure I'll leave ... alone. I'll date on occasion, but I'll NEVER marry again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:46 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Although I'm not happy to find out others didn't find what they were looking for, either, it was oddly comforting to know that I'm not alone in my alone-ness. Sometimes it seems as though everyone around me has someone in their life.

Good thread, Clark Park, thanks.
It doesn't really help when I log on to FB to find out that many of my friends are currently engaged, some of them got engaged this weekend.

It puts things in perspective for me. I won't ever have an opportunity to know what that feeling is like.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:48 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
I had a similar experience to what you describe. At my old job, I met a woman and we became friends. We hung out a lot; and of course I started to like her. I never told her though. When I left the job, she said we could still hang out; but that was before I sent her "love letter" of sorts over facebook. Never heard back from her after that. She never outright said I was needy or clingy or anything. But I suspect that may have been in her thought process. I considered that situation a lesson learned.

She was probably waiting for you to tell her, since she said you could hang out and stuff.

I just look at guys for 'eye candy' I don't even bother otherwise. Sometime they just stare and don't say anything I never knew what to do. Unless they approach (which they don't and I'm 34) then it's all irrelevant IMO.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:29 AM

323 posts, read 308,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
It doesn't really help when I log on to FB to find out that many of my friends are currently engaged, some of them got engaged this weekend.

It puts things in perspective for me. I won't ever have an opportunity to know what that feeling is like.
You're not missing anything positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Yes, I pretty much have at this point. It would take the Titanic to resurface before I could honestly trust a woman again! I came into this world alone, and that's how I'm sure I'll leave ... alone. I'll date on occasion, but I'll NEVER marry again!
This. Except the Titanic coming back wouldn't be enough. I know too much now. EVERY god of EVERY pantheon could appear before me and tell me that the continued existence of the universe depended on me remarrying, and I would laugh, crack open a beer, and welcome Ragnarok with a smile on my face.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:36 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,215,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXXI View Post
You're not missing anything positive.

This. Except the Titanic coming back wouldn't be enough. I know too much now. EVERY god of EVERY pantheon could appear before me and tell me that the continued existence of the universe depended on me remarrying, and I would laugh, crack open a beer, and welcome Ragnarok with a smile on my face.
Singledom, I guess might not be a word but it works and it Rocks! Cheers! * crackin' one open*

Old 05-26-2014, 11:41 AM

968 posts, read 2,619,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
... not pursing a relationship at this point had a surprisingly liberating effect on me. There is almost a Buddhist lesson to be learned here ... that yearning and craving is a form of suffering, and letting go of those dreams have put me in a more serene place.
I've experienced love. Maybe I will not experience marriage or parenthood--I do not know. Regardless if love, or marriage or children come around, I just have the find ways to be humble with whatever I have in the moment. I have to concern myself less with outward expectations and be gracious for the goodness that exists at any given point. As noted in the quotation, I cannot achieve the latter if I am consumed in yearning for something that was not meant for that moment.

Given up...eh? I just need to be okay with any outcome.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:55 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,755 times
This "Woe as Me" party is kinda disturbing and quite depressing. May you all find lasting peace and happiness... in some productive, positive form, and not lean to an over reliance on romantic love being THE means of happiness.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:44 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
This "Woe as Me" party is kinda disturbing and quite depressing. May you all find lasting peace and happiness... in some productive, positive form, and not lean to an over reliance on romantic love being THE means of happiness.
Yes. They say love is an addiction aka cocaine high. I love reading the responses so far! So candid. Reminds me of withdrawal symptoms.

CityData Alcoholics Anonymous

Old 05-26-2014, 12:50 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Yes. They say love is an addiction aka cocaine high. I love reading the responses so far! So candid. Reminds me of withdrawal symptoms.

CityData Alcoholics Anonymous
Romantic love can be comparable to a drug addiction. Very true, Kat.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:12 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
I hear the kitten and puppy forum are all rainbows and sunshine. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships