Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 10:00 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,911,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
In my case, that's false. I've never just been attracted to the apparent hot women like a lot of guys are, and yet, I've still never dated or been in a relationship (read my post in the last page for more info).
Then you are simply not asking.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:02 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Then you are simply not asking.
You mean asking out?

I have done that (both in real life and online dating), and some women seemed interested, but then eventually ghosted, or constantly made excuses.

You'd have a point if I barely/never asked out women in the past, but I have. It just hasn't happened to me for one reason or another (at least yet anyways).

Old 10-23-2015, 10:04 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,668 times
Quote:
In my case, that's false. I've never just been attracted to the apparent hot women like a lot of guys are, and yet, I've still never dated or been in a relationship (read my post in the last page for more info).

He didn't say anything about typical hot girls. Read the post again...

You are only 25? Lots of people at your age have little experience beyond hook-ups. Don't confuse sexual experience with relationship experience. Dating is getting less and less common, considering FWBs and hook-up culture. It is more a result of cultural changes than about some people mysteriously unable to get dates (unless they are not honest with themselves about areas for major improvement).

Old 10-23-2015, 10:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,214,097 times
Quote:
You mean asking out?

I have done that (both in real life and online dating), and some women seemed interested, but then eventually ghosted, or constantly made excuses.

You'd have a point if I barely/never asked out women in the past, but I have. It just hasn't happened to me for one reason or another (at least yet anyways).
Just world fallacy. Many posters seem to be truly attached to this.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post

You are only 25? Lots of people at your age have little experience beyond hook-ups. Don't confuse sexual experience with relationship experience. Dating is getting less and less common, considering FWBs and hook-up culture. It is more a result of cultural changes than about some people mysteriously unable to get dates (unless they are not honest with themselves about areas for major improvement).
24, I turn 25 in a few weeks.

And I feel like that's a problem. I was raised a different way, which is why this whole FWB/hook-up culture is shocking the hell out of me. I almost wonder if that's a reason for my apparent struggles.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:10 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post

I find the whole "hook up culture" to be tacky and distasteful, at least to me... course I'm an "old" guy in my mid 40's....

Another reason for me to stick with women my own age if I ever found myself single again....... at least women in my demo would hold similar views.

I guess each generation sort of looks down on the next... It's been going on forever... I just find the views and approaches to life that a lot of 20 somethings here espouse to be lacking, lacking in a lot of ways....soulless, empty, shallow and just plain depressing........

Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
It's not so much because of a " hook up culture" for me. I have things to do and having a committed relationship at this time in my life would take away from my concentration and it wouldn't be fair to the other person in question, because I wouldn't have much time to devote to it.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:24 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,668 times
Quote:
24, I turn 25 in a few weeks.

And I feel like that's a problem. I was raised a different way, which is why this whole FWB/hook-up culture is shocking the hell out of me. I almost wonder if that's a reason for my apparent struggles.
I am not a fan nor participant of it either. I didn't have my first real relationship until age 26. That was when I realized so many the same age were not really experienced in an emotional sense either. In other words, you are not really "behind". Granted, I am a bit of an acquired taste, myself.

Although another issue can be that people with, er, more "traditional values" (not into hook-up culture) tend to pair off young. But some of us were busy exploring other aspects of life and, you know, growing up. I thought I had missed the bus too, but it is probably better that I had extra time to grow up.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:28 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
It's not so much because of a " hook up culture" for me. I have things to do and having a committed relationship at this time in my life would take away from my concentration and it wouldn't be fair to the other person in question, because I wouldn't have much time to devote to it.
You said you were seeing that guy, but your schedules were full and that it was a casual thing... see I don't consider that a "hook up"...

I suppose I'm being a bit disingenuous here, when I was in my 20's I was out on P patrol looking for women and I wasn't planning on sitting down and exchanging recipes with them... so in all fairness... I just feel like back in the day things felt more "organic" and natural and not so contrived and cold... I mean I would meet a woman have a good time with her and if things led to sex, fine, otherwise we had a good time and things felt more "natural"... now it seems so contrived and "using"... IDK... not sure if I'm splaining it right......

Old 10-23-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You said you were seeing that guy, but your schedules were full and that it was a casual thing... see I don't consider that a "hook up"...

I suppose I'm being a bit disingenuous here, when I was in my 20's I was out on P patrol looking for women and I wasn't planning on sitting down and exchanging recipes with them... so in all fairness... I just feel like back in the day things felt more "organic" and natural and not so contrived and cold... I mean I would meet a woman have a good time with her and if things led to sex, fine, otherwise we had a good time and things felt more "natural"... now it seems so contrived and "using"... IDK... not sure if I'm splaining it right......
Internet, social media and cell phone usage (along with dating apps, etc.) has caused this.

You're lucky you aren't dating in this day and age..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships