Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2021, 03:28 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times

Advertisements

Yep to both of you.

We have guns, we both have concealed carry licenses.

I PRAY neither of us ever has to use them.

I like to have them when wild animals are a danger, as protection in the house as a last case option, but that's about it.

We have lots of friends how go to places like Front Site and such, and I think the training is great, it's the majority of people I wouldn't be able to tolerate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 03:43 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
I guess a big reason, too, that I was actually kinda mad about what I saw today, is that this is a FB page that would be very quick to talk about being "better" and like a lot of liberalish people, act like they are always up on their ethics. I was actually shocked that they shared this. Like any version of "feminism" (if that's the spirit behind this ugliness) that includes it being OK to harm men in ways we KNOW isn't acceptable to us, aimed at women.... The thing that was said horrified me and so did the hypocrisy. And I try to insist that calls for equal and decent treatment of marginalized people are not a call to wield oppression or violence against a privileged group, and here they are like "hey ha ha you go girl"... Like this exact kind of crap makes my efforts to just connect us all as human beings in understanding, respect and compassion, a lot harder.

But I had some support in my critical comments, from a few other posters. I think I was not the only one who was shocked and (to put it lightly) disappointed.

The page admin responded and said that they never claimed it was justified, and they shared it as a "cautionary tale" (what?) and to say, "look, someone more dysfunctional than I am!" (what??)

Old 11-11-2021, 03:57 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I guess a big reason, too, that I was actually kinda mad about what I saw today, is that this is a FB page that would be very quick to talk about being "better" and like a lot of liberalish people, act like they are always up on their ethics. I was actually shocked that they shared this. Like any version of "feminism" (if that's the spirit behind this ugliness) that includes it being OK to harm men in ways we KNOW isn't acceptable to us, aimed at women.... The thing that was said horrified me and so did the hypocrisy. And I try to insist that calls for equal and decent treatment of marginalized people are not a call to wield oppression or violence against a privileged group, and here they are like "hey ha ha you go girl"... Like this exact kind of crap makes my efforts to just connect us all as human beings in understanding, respect and compassion, a lot harder.

But I had some support in my critical comments, from a few other posters. I think I was not the only one who was shocked and (to put it lightly) disappointed.

The page admin responded and said that they never claimed it was justified, and they shared it as a "cautionary tale" (what?) and to say, "look, someone more dysfunctional than I am!" (what??)
I sincerely applaud you for recognizing and pointing out hypocrisy. Seriously! This kind of introspection and honest open debate is sorely needed. Especially in these times when lets just say, people are more divided than they have been in decades.

The focus now needs to be on coming together in the middle. Hearing and seeing each other. Not snarky memes that further divide and alienate (like the one you described...and yeah it sounds awful).

Once again Sonic you rise above and are an excellent example of a great way of being and relating.

Old 11-11-2021, 04:10 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yep to both of you.

We have guns, we both have concealed carry licenses.

I PRAY neither of us ever has to use them.

I like to have them when wild animals are a danger, as protection in the house as a last case option, but that's about it.

We have lots of friends how go to places like Front Site and such, and I think the training is great, it's the majority of people I wouldn't be able to tolerate.
My thing about the “good guy with a gun†mentality is how that “good guy,†or gal, performs under pressure. How is their aim? Do they practice? There is a whole pucker factor when you hear bullets fly by you.

I bought a new shotgun last month. Mainly as a trap shooting and bird hunting boom stick. I don’t mind the paperwork and vetting it takes to make a purchase.

Old 11-14-2021, 04:06 PM

19,431 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I kind of love Ina because she's just an effortlessly snobby white lady. She has an interesting history and great cooking chops, so she's fun to watch (alongside all of her preppy friends creating tablescapes with scraps from her garden.)
I'm digging up this old post of yours because we've never forgotten that perfect phrase you used to describe her. We were watching her today and she was just upping the ante. She made five or six snooty comments that made us laugh. You know how she always uses homemade stock. In this episode, she said something like, "You can use store-bought" (here she gave kind of a pause and then murmured under her breath as she was stirring) "... but just don't tell me about it." lol

Old 11-14-2021, 04:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm digging up this old post of yours because we've never forgotten that perfect phrase you used to describe her. We were watching her today and she was just upping the ante. She made five or six snooty comments that made us laugh. You know how she always uses homemade stock. In this episode, she said something like, "You can use store-bought" (here she gave kind of a pause and then murmured under her breath as she was stirring) "... but just don't tell me about it." lol
I used to think she was or is grating. I may have softened on my opinion.

I have been collecting cookbooks, amount all the other books I collect.

I’ve toyed with the idea of writing my own. And putting together a family cookbook with a family tree of sorts to give context.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:17 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
LOL... I am not that into cooking shows, but there is a young fella who went from TikTok to Youtube, who has been specializing in vintage recipes, especially ones that sound really, really weird. He is HILARIOUS.

Here's a short video, it's mostly like this (but some of the recipes produce actually good results, he is honest about his opinion of what happens with these recipes...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43IQDUuguVk

Old 11-15-2021, 09:55 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
LOL... I am not that into cooking shows, but there is a young fella who went from TikTok to Youtube, who has been specializing in vintage recipes, especially ones that sound really, really weird. He is HILARIOUS.

Here's a short video, it's mostly like this (but some of the recipes produce actually good results, he is honest about his opinion of what happens with these recipes...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43IQDUuguVk
He is one of my absolute favorites.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-15-2021, 10:41 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Ha! She had another great episode not too long ago where she was going to make pizza with kids, which, okay, no problem there. But it was some sort of white pizza with green vegetables that the average American child wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. I thought, "oh, Ina, bless your heart." Who knows, maybe wealthy Hamptons children have a more sophisticated palate.

Old 11-15-2021, 12:03 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Ha! She had another great episode not too long ago where she was going to make pizza with kids, which, okay, no problem there. But it was some sort of white pizza with green vegetables that the average American child wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. I thought, "oh, Ina, bless your heart." Who knows, maybe wealthy Hamptons children have a more sophisticated palate.
My younger wouldn't touch any green vegetable, except for maybe a sprinkle of chopped parsley on a piece of garlic bread. The older will eat a mixed greens salad, provided it's drenched in a dressing he likes. Older loves pizzas with olives, mushrooms, onions, literally "the works" - younger will scoff at anything other than cheese or pepperoni pizza. But of course, my kids aren't wealthy Hamptons children. Do they also wear the obligatory chambray button down Oxford shirts?

I still say Ina's meatloaf recipe is the best we've tried, but I do go extra on it by wrapping it in bacon before putting it in the oven. But to be true to Ina, I only use my "best" bacon for the recipe. Oscar Meyer is the fanciest bacon I buy, although I've been buying some new Black Forest cured bacon lately that the family is loving.

It always amuses me when she say, "use your best (vanilla, mustard, whatever ingredient)" - like people have a range of these items in their pantries. "Oh, let's skip the crappy store-brand ketchup and use THE BEST in today's recipe!" Like she needs to remind us, a recipe will taste better if you use THE BEST ingredients than if you use the plebe Aldi line of inferior consumer goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships