Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 08:07 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I know many of my kids' friends joined fraternities/sororities to network...my kids weren't fans of greek life but I know people who really loved it...not sure they got much out of them other than a good time and possible liver damage...I wish they would bring back trade schools not everyone gets much benefit out of certain types of degrees...
Trade schools are totally still a thing. And our community college here in Colorado Springs has pathways that are more on the vocational side, rather than traditional academics, they have a welding certification program. We considered it. But my son...since he finished high school, getting him to do ANYTHING but sit and play computer games, and try to convince this one gal to be his girlfriend, has been just straight up pulling teeth. And it's a major weakness of mine that I'm severely conflict avoidant. That's not a good quality to have when parenting teenagers, because sometimes you've got to be able to be a jerk to them, and I cannot deal with screaming and fighting in my home. Just can't. Therefore, somewhat understandably my kids have walked all over me. The best I've been able to do is to constantly tell them that the choices they are making aren't good for their own futures. But when you're a kid, the future is this nebulous thing that will just work out with no effort, it's forever away, and of course you can afford to mess around and do nothing for just one more day... So my 19 year old got through high school, but had no driver's license (and no desire to learn to drive) and no job. With no transportation, getting to community college or trade school was going to be a problem (no dorms there.)

He's not interested in the military, after watching what it did to his father...but he kind of needed a highly structured and strict environment to MAKE him do what he needed to do. Hence, Job Corps. Kind of the perfect option for him.

And I'm hearing stories all the time lately about others who went to Job Corps and ended up with well paying union jobs in various trades, and did really well. The next stage I will endeavor to help him understand once he gets out and starts working, is to start saving early and as much as possible. Because one of the drawbacks of a physical job like that, is that the older you get, the more it breaks down your body to keep doing it. If he can save up and retire early, that would be optimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 08:57 AM

602 posts, read 396,215 times
SS, I'll yell at your son for you!

Old 05-17-2018, 09:10 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,930,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Running, Are you going to the New Age Fest?
As in the one in California? Nah, I won’t be at that.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:12 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Trade schools are totally still a thing. And our community college here in Colorado Springs has pathways that are more on the vocational side, rather than traditional academics, they have a welding certification program. We considered it. But my son...since he finished high school, getting him to do ANYTHING but sit and play computer games, and try to convince this one gal to be his girlfriend, has been just straight up pulling teeth. And it's a major weakness of mine that I'm severely conflict avoidant. That's not a good quality to have when parenting teenagers, because sometimes you've got to be able to be a jerk to them, and I cannot deal with screaming and fighting in my home. Just can't. Therefore, somewhat understandably my kids have walked all over me. The best I've been able to do is to constantly tell them that the choices they are making aren't good for their own futures. But when you're a kid, the future is this nebulous thing that will just work out with no effort, it's forever away, and of course you can afford to mess around and do nothing for just one more day... So my 19 year old got through high school, but had no driver's license (and no desire to learn to drive) and no job. With no transportation, getting to community college or trade school was going to be a problem (no dorms there.)

He's not interested in the military, after watching what it did to his father...but he kind of needed a highly structured and strict environment to MAKE him do what he needed to do. Hence, Job Corps. Kind of the perfect option for him.

And I'm hearing stories all the time lately about others who went to Job Corps and ended up with well paying union jobs in various trades, and did really well. The next stage I will endeavor to help him understand once he gets out and starts working, is to start saving early and as much as possible. Because one of the drawbacks of a physical job like that, is that the older you get, the more it breaks down your body to keep doing it. If he can save up and retire early, that would be optimal.
Yeah, one of the drawbacks to the trades is that they can be rough on you as you get older. A lot of guys eventually move up into foreman roles which is more of the brains of the operations and you let the young guys do the heavy lifting. That unfortunately can be pretty stressful and you have to have a certain aptitude that is opposite of actually doing the trade you were in. Hopefully that makes sense. Basically you go from a doer to a job that is much less tangible and that can be hard on some guys.

That's sort of where I'm at, I not part of the trades but more in the technical ranks and was much more hands on, now I'm more of an inspector type role but that includes a lot of paperwork pushing and scheduling and tracking of things, basically a whole different route from being a "doer"

Typical of guys that go from the technical ranks and move up into management which is sort parallels what I did.

Either way hopefully things work out for him.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, one of the drawbacks to the trades is that they can be rough on you as you get older. A lot of guys eventually move up into foreman roles which is more of the brains of the operations and you let the young guys do the heavy lifting. That unfortunately can be pretty stressful and you have to have a certain aptitude that is opposite of actually doing the trade you were in. Hopefully that makes sense. Basically you go from a doer to a job that is much less tangible and that can be hard on some guys.

That's sort of where I'm at, I not part of the trades but more in the technical ranks and was much more hands on, now I'm more of an inspector type role but that includes a lot of paperwork pushing and scheduling and tracking of things, basically a whole different route from being a "doer"

Typical of guys that go from the technical ranks and move up into management which is sort parallels what I did.

Either way hopefully things work out for him.
Yep, that's why my thinking is...if he's making big bucks for a few decades at least, if he can save, he could just retire early. Normally (and with my younger son, assuredly) I'd be thinking "well that's not very realistic" and that a young person would fritter away his fortune, but my older son is better at saving, doesn't feel the need to spend his money right away. As long as he isn't trying to impress a girl. That's going to be something he needs to be cautious of.

He had this girl he dated on and off since middle school. I mean..."dated"...like kids do. But they were mostly on/sometimes off for a good 6 years. Since they've both graduated, she is not willing to be his girlfriend anymore, but she's been over at our house a ton before he left. He was helping her carry her groceries back to her dorm (her college is pretty close to my home) and spending whatever money he had on her, and feeding her our food, and just doing all sorts of things for her. He kept hoping she'd change her mind. And they have talked about living together (as roommates, is her intention) with another friend, once he returns from Job Corps. I told him that if they aren't in a relationship, this is not a great idea. Youthful home-sharing wrecked the friendships I had with people when I was young and did that. And I asked, "What will you do if you're all living together, and when she has another boyfriend and you have to see that going down, huh?" But he's letting her basically lead him by the nose.

I wish he'd find another girl to date. Unfortunately the ratio of boys to girls in Job Corps at that center is like 3-1, and some of those girls are underage... He is well aware of the consequences of THAT brand of foolishness, at least.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:

This sounds like a good choice for him and I hope all goes well. Your desire to see him do well for himself also jumps off the page. Good luck to both of you.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
As in the one in California? Nah, I won’t be at that.
Ah, ok, I was considering it, but just not enough bangers. Heading to Oakland for a fest around the same time too.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:27 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,930,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ah, ok, I was considering it, but just not enough bangers. Heading to Oakland for a fest around the same time too.
I usually don’t travel that far for festivals unless I’m already gonna be in the area or have another reason to go to the region and also do that while I’m there, or if it’s a band I work with. Like when I did Rev Fest last year, my fiancée’s grandparents live fairly close to there, so we made our trip for that week,’so I could go check that out. Without giving away too much of my itinerary and for relative anonymity sake, I’m in Columbus for Rock On The Range, which is mostly crappy radio rock bands that I really don’t care about. I’m only here because one of the bands I work with was booked for this event. Thankfully I’ll only be doing the first day, which is tomorrow. Then I’ll head to Jersey/New York for a few days, then I’ll be out of the country for about 11-12 days next week.

I’m mostly booked up from now until October, with my wedding and honeymoon in late September/into early October. I still have some free weeks for a month from early June till early July and some free weeks in August. We might do our trip to see her grandparents in the San Diego area either in June or August. I’ll be on the road from early July to early August. I also owe another friend a favor to come work for him for a short tour sometime, which is not booked, as long as it’s during one of my non-booked slots. I’m assuming that should be in either late June or sometime in August.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:49 PM

Realized something while having a conversation with a friend today.

I have no shame regarding my sexual history whatsoever. But you know a fact of my personal history that I am kind of ashamed of? I used to play Farmville. I finally quit when I managed to collect all of the Halloween themed promotional nonsense and filled up my max-size farm with it. I can admit it, but I'm not proud of it...

Old 05-17-2018, 05:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Realized something while having a conversation with a friend today.

I have no shame regarding my sexual history whatsoever. But you know a fact of my personal history that I am kind of ashamed of? I used to play Farmville. I finally quit when I managed to collect all of the Halloween themed promotional nonsense and filled up my max-size farm with it. I can admit it, but I'm not proud of it...
Hahahahah!!!

Well I will tell you that one of my friends actually met his now husband on one of those silly Facebook games where you login daily and give people gifts. . Their flirting was exchanging gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships