Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,169 times

Advertisements

So can someone tell me what's so important about turning 30? I mean, I can see why 21 is important, the law makes it obvious, obviously! Turning 16, sure, it's special! But 30?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 01:19 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,638 times
Milestone?

Old 09-03-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Milestone?
Oh what? of maturity? Because from what I've seen with other women/ men in real life or on TV, turning 30 doesn't change crap. Now, turning 40, or 50, I could see that as a milestone, but nothing special I can think of for turning 30. And from what the OP has been posting in regards to this matter, it doesn't sound like turning 30 years old has made her any wiser as when she turned 25 or even before that.

Or is it just our good ol' American way of having an excuse to celebrate and having a party?

Old 09-04-2009, 06:29 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I, like most men, can be a little clueless at times when it comes to figuring out the female of our species. Having said that, i dont think you would have to beat me upside the head with a 2x4 for me to realize that my SO's 30th birthday is something special. At any other time of the year I see no problem with him helping a female friend plan a party. But right after barely doing anything for his own wifes 30th birthday???? Sheesh! If he does this he is either completely clueless or is one of the most insensitive men I have ever read about!
The last word! Or should be. LOL

Old 09-04-2009, 06:33 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
The last word! Or should be. LOL
A-frickin'-men!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
Oh what? of maturity? Because from what I've seen with other women/ men in real life or on TV, turning 30 doesn't change crap. Now, turning 40, or 50, I could see that as a milestone, but nothing special I can think of for turning 30. And from what the OP has been posting in regards to this matter, it doesn't sound like turning 30 years old has made her any wiser as when she turned 25 or even before that.

Or is it just our good ol' American way of having an excuse to celebrate and having a party?
I don't think the OP even said anything about the time that has passed between her own 30th bday and this "upcoming" 30th bday party that belongs to her hubby's friend.

But at any rate, she should have COMMUNICATED to her hubby exactly what she wanted for her bday: a trip out of town? Surprise dinner w/ friends?

Last time I read OP's last post, they were having some financial issues (since they just bought a house prior to her 30th bday, etc.). So perhaps the hubby had already come up w/ an idea, but was shot down because of money issues. I'm sure there are OTHER THINGS that had happened that LED UP to her "eventless" 30th bday.

Plus, OP also said that they had just moved to a different city, apart from their own friends and family, and that her 30th bday is the FIRST bday that has come "eventless" since they now live in a new city away from people that they both know.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:25 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
Buckle up! You are in for one heck bumpy ride/marriage. Not a good sign when a wife tells her husband her needs, and he then ignores them/her. Sometimes, this can be a sign of a passive/agressive personality-yikes!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive...ssive_behavior

Old 09-04-2009, 08:26 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieskier View Post
For months leading up to it, I had been telling him that I want to do something special,

I gave him hints, like asking our friends to meet us for dinner, or a quick trip somewhere, a night out on the town, something more than what he has done for me on my birthday. (FTR, I have done things for him for his birthday and he hasn't had his 30th yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post

But at any rate, she should have COMMUNICATED to her hubby exactly what she wanted for her bday: a trip out of town? Surprise dinner w/ friends?

Looks to me like that's exactly what she did.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:30 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
No s***.

Quote:
For months leading up to it, I had been telling him that I want to do something special, since I only turn 30 once
I wonder what part of this couldn't be recognized as communication.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Well, she did, but she said that she's interested in ALL of those things. She didn't just choose ONE thing that she wanted to do for her bday, which is what she should have done. If she just said "hey hun, let's go out of town for my 30th", I'm sure he would have started planning for such a trip.

If she said, "let's have our close friends for dinner somewhere. Surprise me!", I'm sure her hubby would have taken the lead.

But instead, she said that she had given him hints, such as, "hey, how about doing something special for my 30th, like going out of town, or surprise dinner w/ friends?" He's probably thinking "Ok, which one does she prefer MORE, dinner w/ friends..... or going out of town just by ourselves.....?

Details, details. Don't just throw ideas that conflict w/ each other out there.

Also, this post is indicating that she and her hubby are two different people. She's more on the creative side, and her hubby is more of "tell me what to do, and I'll go from there" type of guy. She married him, so I say, "put up and shut up", because I'm sure it's hard to change her hubby at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships