Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 10:06 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
People here claim to believe in "science", but then listen like fools to whatever nonsense they hear from Dr. Tapper on CNN.

Contra Costa County has 1.1 million people, with 20 in the hospital now for COVID. This is the most absurd thing I've ever seen.
I'm not sure who "Dr. Tapper" is but I'd rather here the opinion of almost anyone other than Dr. Trump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
It's not a left-wing conspiracy, just a failure of Democrats, which are currently cutting the very branch they're sitting on - guaranteeing that free thinking people who think for themselves (versus groupthink), who respect and understand science, who like their freedoms and are not willing to give them up - will not vote for Democrats this year. Many of such people would likely have voted for them otherwise, but will be left with no one to vote now, after power-grab and gross violations of human rights became evident.
wow...just wow

Old 05-15-2020, 10:44 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
Nope, "most folks" aren't too afraid to venture out (outside of a couple of big cities in CA and several other states).
Most assuredly not in GA in TN.
I'm been all over the country during covid-flu fake-o-demic, and most people don't give a rat's tail about this, and do venture out and don't even wear masks. They figured out early on they're being duped, over flu-level mortality respiratory disease.
In most states people aren't scared sheltered wallflowers, basically.
I believe many are not afraid as was evidenced by Spring Break in FL even though it was early on with the virus. This link is from WI so let's see how they do in a month or so. Wouldn't say I'd recommend this, and most people in this picture, while not obese per the CDC guidelines, definitely have more than a few extra pounds.

https://abc7chicago.com/business/wis...-out-/6182342/

I believe GA opened 3 weeks ago on 4/24. Deaths on 4/24 were 36 and have been trending down so far (but can be adjusted because of the 14 day window). On 5/14 there were 4 deaths, but this will be revised upward. Another month should give us a good idea.

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Old 05-15-2020, 11:16 AM

460 posts, read 232,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
I believe many are not afraid as was evidenced by Spring Break in FL even though it was early on with the virus. This link is from WI so let's see how they do in a month or so. Wouldn't say I'd recommend this, and most people in this picture, while not obese per the CDC guidelines, definitely have more than a few extra pounds.

I believe GA opened 3 weeks ago on 4/24. Deaths on 4/24 were 36 and have been trending down so far (but can be adjusted because of the 14 day window). On 5/14 there were 4 deaths, but this will be revised upward. Another month should give us a good idea.

Honestly, I'm not evern concerned how FL or WI (their lockdown order was stricken down by court as unconstitutional) will do, they'll do ok.
Every single state will do the same, at the end.
There'll be a few people infected (already about 1/3 in many NY counties) with this mild virus comparable to seasonal flu in some more densely populated places, and there'll be sufficient immunity in the population, eventually, for it to have stable low flu-like infection rate, and it'll be recurrent, most likely.
In the meanwhile people in FL, GA, TN, WI, Sweden, etc will continue to live their normal lives (minus already inflicted economic damage).

Old 05-15-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post

Is this what you call 'good news'? Thursday, May 14: The numbers show an increase of 22 reported deaths and 526 new reported cases since 1 p.m. Wednesday. https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/lo...1967db21b.html

Old 05-15-2020, 12:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
People here claim to believe in "science", but then listen like fools to whatever nonsense they hear from Dr. Tapper on CNN.

Contra Costa County has 1.1 million people, with 20 in the hospital now for COVID. This is the most absurd thing I've ever seen.
I’m not anti-science at all and most people followed the SIP at first but there is nothing wrong with critical thinking and being skeptical at the “experts”, the same ones that flip flop on their decisions, ie face masks. Even the “experts” constantly say the vast majority of people will only get mildy sick or not sick at all yet all these sheep act like anyone who goes outside and tries to live a somewhat normal life faces certain hospitalization or death.

I don’t get people who see in CC County with only 17 hospitalizations and 100 or so active cases that everything still needs to be shut down. It makes no sense!

Keeping things shut down can indeed lead to worse outcomes than not: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/w...s-tracker.html

Old 05-15-2020, 03:35 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

I don’t get people who see in CC County with only 17 hospitalizations and 100 or so active cases that everything still needs to be shut down. It makes no sense!

Keeping things shut down can indeed lead to worse outcomes than not: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/w...s-tracker.html
You don't understand how shutting things down early has directly correlated to the number of cases/hospitalizations being as low as they are now?

So, by opening up, you're saying that mental health issues will decline? First of all, I think that's a dubious assumption at best, given that people will still not feel safe venturing out when there's no vaccine or even adequate testing/contact tracing. On top of this, do you really think the improvement of mental health cases outweighs the exponential growth potential of this virus? Just look at the growth track before the shut down and afterwards as evidence.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:42 PM

460 posts, read 232,310 times
FL, GA, TN, OK, Missouri are all fine reopened over 3 weeks ago or so, cases went down 12-46% in them over last week, sorry they ain't dying from imaginary flu scare, like some seemed to be expecting. And folks in those like to skip the masks, in fact it was near riot in OK when they tried to mandate them in one town (and failed).

Old 05-15-2020, 05:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's all good because you don't consider yourself at risk, right?
I'm over 60 and have some older age issues so I'm probably in the middle of the "risk" pack and I'm not a big risk taker. However, I can make these decisions for myself because I have a brain.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:52 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm over 60 and have some older age issues so I'm probably in the middle of the "risk" pack and I'm not a big risk taker. However, I can make these decisions for myself because I have a brain.
Unlike all the other folks, including epidemiologists and scientific researchers, et al, eh? Why, if they had brains like yours everything would be all hunky-dory by now, dang it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland