Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 AM
 
286 posts, read 1,400,795 times
Reputation: 186

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah27281 View Post
yes i mean what i mean,there people really pay very much money to translate from english to french ..i was there and i souffered from the same problem because every thing important is in english
lol

And three post before you was saying the algerian didn't speak french....

So could you explain to me why they translate the english text in french instead of to translate it immediatly in arab ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
 
22 posts, read 95,203 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
lol

And three post before you was saying the algerian didn't speak french....

So could you explain to me why they translate the english text in french instead of to translate it immediatly in arab ?

I don't understand you, you think that your language is important and you oublige us to believe it.. and in addition you oublige us to speak French and to consider it our language ... I say and I repeat, in algeria (MY COUNTRY)and throughout the Arab world we speak Arabic and it is our official language and maternal .. the French or English are the second languages and unfortunately in maghreb it is the French and whose use is very limited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 09:56 AM
 
1,126 posts, read 2,693,758 times
Reputation: 572
I don't think Mandarin will be that important. China is experiencing some skyrocketing growth because they started from zero thus their economy is currently booming but it will take centuries until they achieve the level of Western countries. If you're an American, Spanish is the obvious choice, not only because the grocery's clerck is from Mexico, but also for the unlimited opportunities of doing business in Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 AM
 
Location: new england
202 posts, read 1,075,710 times
Reputation: 129
chinese for business

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-31-2008 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: leave out the ethnic slurs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA, USA
451 posts, read 1,325,139 times
Reputation: 387
Since the question for this topic is which language besides English would you consider the next global language? Well, of course, there is no other language in the world that even comes close to the global reach of English. So, there would be several different languages. For new business opportunities in Asia, I would say Mandarin Chinese would be most useful (China, Taiwan, Singapore and among the “overseas Chinese” in Southeast Asia), not as useful outside of these areas; Of course, Korean would be useful in Korea and dealing with Korean business people and Japanese would be useful in Japan and Japanese business people, but outside of this context, I don't know how useful it would be (aside from dealing with Korean speaking and Japanese speaking immigrant populations).

Spanish would be useful in the US-especially in places like California, Texas. Spanish and Portuguese (for Brazil) would be useful in Latin America, obviously. Spanish will not that useful outside of Latin America, US or Spain.

In Europe, besides English, French or German would be useful. But, how useful will French or German be in California? Maybe you can use some French in Canada or Francophile Africa such as Cameroon, Ivory Coast.

In the Middle East- Arabic and Farsi. Not much use outside of this region except for Arab and Persian immigrant communities in Europe and North America.

But, as I stated, I don’t think there is any other language that comes close to English in the global scope. All the other languages are at best regional in scope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 01:36 AM
 
286 posts, read 1,400,795 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah27281 View Post
I don't understand you, you think that your language is important and you oublige us to believe it.. and in addition you oublige us to speak French and to consider it our language ...
Who is us ? I talk to you, I don't talk to the others, that's the reason why I write some french word... BTW I don't oblige anyone to believe in something. What I made is to show you some facts about the french language and unfortunately these facts is the total opposite of your claims, even for algeria.

Quote:
I say and I repeat, in algeria (MY COUNTRY)and throughout the Arab world we speak Arabic and it is our official language and maternal .. the French or English are the second languages and unfortunately in maghreb it is the French and whose use is very limited
You can repeart again and again, I don't agree, the french in algeria is more than a second language, and if you are a true algerian has you claim it, you know that. In France, english is the second language, we are far to speak english as the algerian speak french.... very very far from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 04:30 AM
 
22 posts, read 95,203 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
chinese for business
you're right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 06:14 AM
 
16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Reputation: 9623
English is most important to learn followed by at least one dialect of Chinese and Hindi. Spanish is still important and Arabic is very useful in much of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 06:16 AM
 
16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Reputation: 9623
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
Farsi
Farsi will not be very useful unless you can tolerate high levels of radiation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Rei
 
Location: Los Angeles
494 posts, read 1,761,646 times
Reputation: 240
Chinese... they will take over the world, we might as well get a head start... ;p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top