Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 PM

526 posts, read 1,755,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
Please answer keeping in mind that this has to be answered thinking of Career and growth and global jobs.
I don't know why so many people are saying Spanish for a second language.

The OP specifically said "think of career, growth, and global jobs". That would be Chinese and it used to be Japanese.

All of the Spanish speaking countries of the world are 3rd world... and they don't look like they will be changing anytime soon. If you want to move to Europe to make money because transitioning to Eastern culture is more difficult, go to Switzerland and learn German.

If not, only the BRIC countries would be worth learning. BRIC = Brazil, Russia, India, China. The languages are Portuguese, Russian, Hindi, and Mandarin respectively. These countries are going to be the only countries growing for the foreseeable future while the US and Europe plateau.

If you want to carry on a conversation with your gardener than learn Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:37 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Mandarin

Old 10-19-2009, 02:24 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post

The OP specifically said "think of career, growth, and global jobs". That would be Chinese and it used to be Japanese.

All of the Spanish speaking countries of the world are 3rd world... and they don't look like they will be changing anytime soon. If you want to move to Europe to make money because transitioning to Eastern culture is more difficult, go to Switzerland and learn German.

If not, only the BRIC countries would be worth learning. BRIC = Brazil, Russia, India, China. The languages are Portuguese, Russian, Hindi, and Mandarin respectively. These countries are going to be the only countries growing for the foreseeable future while the US and Europe plateau.

Some truth in what you say, but you exaggerate a tad. Chile is more developed than China. Its per-capita-income is also twice that of China's.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2004rank.html

In 2008 Panama's economic growth rate was slightly higher than China's.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2003rank.html

Note: I have no idea why the links say 2003 and 2004, both mostly list 2008. Possibly "2004, 2003" refers to some nations files not being updated since then.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 AM

526 posts, read 1,755,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Some truth in what you say, but you exaggerate a tad. Chile is more developed than China. Its per-capita-income is also twice that of China's.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2004rank.html

In 2008 Panama's economic growth rate was slightly higher than China's.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2003rank.html

Note: I have no idea why the links say 2003 and 2004, both mostly list 2008. Possibly "2004, 2003" refers to some nations files not being updated since then.
I actually forgot about Chile being a good economy like Brazil. I have also heard that Uruguay, while not being a large economy is considered a stable one. But as a North American who has English under their belt as a first language, there really are not many viable options especially since most countries like Chile or Brazil probably learn English as their second language and so the need for Brits and Americans to learn multiple languages is somewhat futile unless you just want to assimilate and live easier in another country.

I personally know decent French and Italian because that is my heritage and my parents are European so when I listen to Spanish, although I don't know how to speak it, I can definitely understand the topic of the conversation and reading is even easier since all the Latin languages are related.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,507 times
It would be interesting to have more people who are from China on here to say if they believe Mandarin is actually necessary for global business. I know it sounds like it makes sense, however, from what I understand about it is that although it certainly is good manners to know the language of your host country, it is not always an advantage in the business place. (Unless you are the one doing translations -- especially written, which, obviously, would be a great help to know both languages fluently.)

As I understand it, many of the Chinese who do not speak English are those who are in rural areas and do not have a good educational system, and they are not involved in big business. Those in the cities where most business is conducted, often have a grasp of English. I only speak from limited experience, and I'm sure a native Chinese individual could give more insight.

Having hosted a Chinese foreign exchange student, I learned much about China that I was completely unaware of. Many stereotypes were broken. Her English was so good, that she rarely had difficulty speaking it. The grammar can be a bit tricky, but she had it down. She was not from Beijing but a smaller large city in the western portion of China. Her parents are both government workers. I am still in touch with both our former exchange student and her mother. Her mother knows English, but not as well as our exchange student. Her mother's desire to better her English is intense. We sometimes work on written language skills together for her on the internet.

My daughter's boyfriend is from Southern China – he has lived in the U.S. for ten years. Although his first language is Cantonese, he does know Mandarin. My daughter struggled through learning Mandarin, and her boyfriend kept telling her that she would not even need it for business in China: 1) because often they know English; 2) they would rather do business with other Chinese than those of other nationalities. He actually discouraged her from learning it.

She is, however, fluent in Spanish, having lived in the aforementioned high-quality Chile as an exchange student. (By the way, they do learn English, however, Spanish is the national language and English is rarely spoken outside of the classroom.) She found Chile to be quite engaging, very European, and some distinctly German parts (she was in the south). She adored Chile. In the States, her Spanish language skills have been very important in her obtaining jobs. Although still a college student, she did have a job this summer working at a Sam's Club handing out food samples. It wasn't until she was together with all the other food demonstrators that she realized why she had been chosen: each person was at least bilingual in another language – Chinese, Vietnamese, Hindi, Korean, Russian, Cantonese, and she held the Spanish. She said it was funny to discover that each person, as they compared notes about themselves, spoke another language. It came in handy for her because she could understand what customers were saying in Spanish before they approached her, thus, she was able to better help them.

So, I don't know which is really a "better" language to learn. I almost lean toward Spanish, too, just because Central and South America will be targeted by businesses, and knowing Spanish, where many people may not know English, could be very beneficial. China, on the other hand, tends to do things more "family-like." You help them, they help you, and who you know counts. At least that's how I understand it.

I guess we'll all figure it out down-the-road. In the meantime, I certainly think knowing more than one language can be beneficial no matter what.

Last edited by Wisteria; 10-22-2009 at 12:12 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I thought I heard Spain was one of the richest countries though. I also read in this website(link below) that Mexico was USA's 3 largest trading partner but I'm not sure the source is reliable.

FTD - Top Trading Partners

Old 10-28-2009, 04:31 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As I understand it, many of the Chinese who do not speak English are those who are in rural areas and do not have a good educational system, and they are not involved in big business. Those in the cities where most business is conducted, often have a grasp of English. I only speak from limited experience, and I'm sure a native Chinese individual could give more insight.

lol
It's Official: Chinese Farmers Can Build Anything, Rarely Farm - Submarines - Gizmodo

Old 11-22-2009, 02:56 PM

594 posts, read 1,199,496 times
In Europe: French, German
In USA/Latin America: Spanish, Portuguese
In Canada: French

Old 11-23-2009, 04:44 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
french

Old 11-23-2009, 04:31 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
"If you want a conversation with your gardener then learn spanish":
1) I don't have a gardener, but I'm a gardener myself
2) being a stupid gardener, Chinese is wayyyy too difficult for my small brain
3) So I choose Spanish, even if I can't communicate with my boss in that language, I'll communicate with other stupid Spanish-speaking gardeners and thus I'll develop a gardening business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World