Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Chinese... they will take over the world, we might as well get a head start... ;p
They'll get the head start due to state mandated infrastructure but India will overtake them within 25 years. The Indians are natural businessmen and much more western in their thinking; IOW we can deal with them. The Chinese will only do things on their terms. Hindi is a very useful language understood by a fourth of the world's population. It's also much easier for westerners to learn than Chinese. Hindi comes from the same Indo-Aryan language root as the latin languages. No sing song required. Tikka heh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:23 AM

60 posts, read 411,272 times
If you're deaf, I recommend sign language.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:11 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
I don't understand why people are advocating Chinese. I think people are comparing China's growth to what's been seen in other countries that emerged within the last decade, or two. What people might want to realize is that China has billions of people, literally. What makes anyone think that the Chinese will just sit by as outsiders come in and "run" their country? A communist one at that. Don't you think they'll be churning out qualified people?

Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Old 10-01-2009, 04:43 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,674 times
It depends on the area you live in first of all. For example, the area I live in we have a huge Korean population as well as lots of people from Mexico and Iran. But for career growth, I'd say Spanish is an obvious choice, followed by some European languages like German, Russian, and French. I really couldn't easily decide on what language(s) to learn because I have an interest in so many different countries/cultures. If I had to pick a European language to learn, it would probably be French due to the fact that I love French food, women and their wines. I also think France is a gorgeous country. Plus, I could use French next time I go and visit Canada. If I wanted to choose what Asian language to study, it would probably be Japanese, which from a global context is still useful. Yes, China is growing in influence but Japan still has influence too worldwide when you really think about it.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:38 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,335,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchWriter View Post
If you're deaf, I recommend sign language.
What did you say?? Could you sign that please??

Old 10-02-2009, 12:22 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
CHINESE.

I've spent the majority of the last 13 years in either Korea or Japan teaching English. Even without knowing the local language, a person can make a ton of money in these countries teaching English.

China doesn't pay nearly as much as Korea or Japan...but there are 100s and 100s of jobs every month for westerners to go teach English there. Once there, the real money is for the foreigners who did learn Chinese - for example business being #1. But also, one trip I was in Kunming and an extra in a Chinese film. THere were westerners who were famous movie star actors in China - but of course they knew Chinese.

Years ago, I might have said Spanish, but having did a 'go' at teaching English in South America...there is just little money there, and that doesn't seem like it'll change anytime soon.

China is about the most capitalistic country you can find on the planet in every sense of the word.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:20 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,862,722 times
English is still the language of international commerce. However, it does help to learn the language of your customer, whether you are selling a generator or an instrument landing system.

Generally, not only the private language schools pay less they are poorly managed. In case of disputes, I can imagine the horror of young foreign teachers; besides Embassies do not get involved in civil litigation. Having a working knowledge of the local language helps one to get around tight corner.

Only people living in the coastal cities and Beijing are affluent (some 10% of the population). The wealthy found new residences in US, Canada, Europe, Australia, NZ .... like Jet Li, who bought a US$14 million house in Singapore - channelnewsasia.com - Chinese star Jet Li 'takes Singapore citizenship'
And their reasons for leaving: pollution, contaminated milk, poison food, no freehold land (all land owned by the government), corruption .... etc.

The Chinese, especially those living in the villages and small towns, are eager to practise their English whenever they meet foreigners. One can earn some pocket money teaching English conversation 1-to-1 through a free internet phone. A friend is doing just that charging $15 for 1/2 hour session.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,862,722 times
Quote:
Which Language is most beneficial to learn in global context After English?
I came across this job ad for a Computer IT Engineer - must be fluent in French or Spanish, besides English.
Quote:
Qualification Requirements:
  1. University degree in Computer Science, or equivalent qualification.
  2. Strong experience in systems study related to aviation and airport services.
  3. Sound knowledge of computer software related to the specified tasks.
  4. A good command of oral and written English, French or Spanish is essential.
  5. Initiative, tact, sound judgement and the ability to foster and maintain harmonious working relationships
URL address: icao.int/icao/en/tcb/jobinfonum17.html

Old 10-08-2009, 07:18 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,290,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
Please answer keeping in mind that this has to be answered thinking of Career and growth and global jobs.
My top 10...

1.-5. Computer languages (PERL,C++,JAVA, C, PHP)
6. Mathematics
7. Mandarin Chinese
8. Spanish
9. Arabic
10. (Tie) French & Japanese & Russian

S.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:23 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,290,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I don't understand why people are advocating Chinese. I think people are comparing China's growth to what's been seen in other countries that emerged within the last decade, or two. What people might want to realize is that China has billions of people, literally. What makes anyone think that the Chinese will just sit by as outsiders come in and "run" their country? A communist one at that. Don't you think they'll be churning out qualified people?

Just my 2 cents.

Regards
I think you are missing the point. What makes a successful business deal is two-way communication. There is always a need to be filled by cross-border transactions. As China continues to grow (btw, it has been averaging close to 10% real growth per annum since 1978), its needs become more complex and global.

Trade is not about running another's country, but high volume transactions.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World