Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 08:22 PM

170 posts, read 753,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Spanish, Spanish is the second most widely spoken language in the U.S.
the question is
Which Language is most beneficial to learn in GLOBAL context After English
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 05:09 AM

243 posts, read 704,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
Please answer keeping in mind that this has to be answered thinking of Career and growth and global jobs.
I havent readed al sugestions.

but i think spanish (since ur an american) and French (French is spoken/understod in most african areas. and even arabic states)
the perhaps German. (german is source of sevral languages. so it will help)

chinese /mandrin and other asian languages is hard. coz there are so many wertions. so if i learn chinese. and go to a sertan place in china. u might not be able to make ur self understood.

Perhaps rusian.

scandinavian is not needed att all. since "all" in north europe understand english.

TJ..

Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 PM

8 posts, read 46,502 times
from brazil:
a) the other option for arabic is french, work as second language for then
b) Spanish, you don't have option, learn or die
c) Chinese or Japanese have a crescent indication for future negociations, (include brazilian guys)

Old 02-23-2008, 03:48 AM

50 posts, read 210,108 times
i'd say spanish

Old 02-23-2008, 11:19 AM

170 posts, read 753,546 times
french, chinese, obviously english is the most important language though

Old 02-24-2008, 12:04 AM

339 posts, read 1,518,551 times
I have to say Manderin.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:31 PM

13 posts, read 29,596 times
Chinese is the best choice, I think.
Not only the fabulous letters,but also they are gonna become the most powful country in the world.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:30 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,094 times
Default Depends on...

I haven't read all posts, but I have to disagree with Tjukken: Swedish is the best language to learn after English!

Ok, enough of jokes...

Global context... Can't this question be divided into two aspects?
1. What language would be good to learn since many people use it and since many of these doesn't speak another language?
Or
2. What language would be good to learn because many trade in this and it will be/is a good language to learn when doing business?

1. Learn maybe Spanish, French, Farsi and/or Arabic. There are great amounts of people speaking these languages, and many of them do not speak English or another big language.

2. Learn Spanish (if interested in doing trades in North- and South America), French and/or German (if interested in doing trades in Europe), Arabic (if interested in doing trades in the Middle east and northern Africa) and/or Mandarin (if interested in doing trades in China).

Old 03-01-2008, 10:00 PM

208 posts, read 412,241 times
Learn Spanish.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
No doubt about it. French.

Boutros Boutros-Ghali, former secretary general of the United Nations, said that French would be the ideal world language. Not only is it spoken on every continent, it's not particularly tied down to any one political agenda which is not the case with other world languages, particularly English.

English and French are already the two working languages of the United Nations.
French is the first language of the International Red Cross.
French is the first language of the International Olympic Committee.
French and English are the working languages of the World Health Organisation, NATO, World Trade Organisation, the EU, UNESCO, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, and Amnesty International.

There are 55 countries in the world that are members of l'Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie.

Even the US State Department sees this. Of their job openings that require a foreign language, over half require French, by far more than any other language.

I'm a native English speaker, but I have made languages my career. I was first exposed to French in China in 1980, after studying Spanish and Japanese here in the US. I love all languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World