Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 05:54 PM

210 posts, read 200,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
That's simply not the reality.

Portuguese is not an "elite" or exclusive upperclass language in Angola. It's the common language that the majority speak amongst themselves.

It's unrelated to class or education. Impoverished Angolan children speak Portuguese. That's how you can really tell that it's the native language there.

If they're multilingual, they're more likely to speak some English or French. The indigenous languages are dying, unfortunately.
Uneducated Angolans speak some Portuguese but unlike Kimbondo it's not their first language. Being fluent and native speaker in a language are 2 very different things. The average Angolan has the same command of Portuguese a Senegalese has of french or a Ghanaian of English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 05:42 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
just found out about a country in Africa called Equatorial Guinea and it's official language is Spanish, does this make them Hispanic?
Isn't the label "Hispanic" of US origin? Besides, why can't the people of Equatorial Guinea be "Guineans," or whatever they call themselves? Why should they ever be labeled "Hispanic?"

Old 06-04-2017, 05:34 AM

345 posts, read 268,905 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous. The majority of Angolans ONLY speak portuguese.

Angola is different. The Colonial language has become the first language there.

And whites remained, and a lot of Portuguese are flocking there. I believe that the leader of the country was white.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Isn't the label "Hispanic" of US origin? Besides, why can't the people of Equatorial Guinea be "Guineans," or whatever they call themselves? Why should they ever be labeled "Hispanic?"

Ecuatoguineanos, that's how they call themselves. Tribal distinction is important between Fernando Poo, the island, and the mainland, The island wanted to remain Spanish because they were scared,,and taking into account Macia,,

Old 06-04-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
http://poing.me/layar/Colombia/brochuranoCrop.pdf

According to this only 39% speak Portuguese as a mother tongue. Elsewhere it is suggested that another 32% speak it as a second language with the rest not being very competent.

So in fact most Angolans (over 60% speak a language other than Portuguese as their first language). Calling Angolans Lusophones is pure nonsense in this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOgaNyQAvi0

Are these people Hispanic? I think not. Cannot imagine this in Madrid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXf_-5zZ3zc

What is this? Spain or Congo?
Malabo, Guinea Ecuatorial.
Not hispanic, because nobody uses that corny word outside the US.
But they are considered of the Spanish Orb, and as such only need 2 years of legal residency to become Spanish.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:23 PM

40 posts, read 41,803 times
The way Hispanic is used in America was created and developed by the American government. Nobody uses that term outside of America.

I do have heard the latino (Latin) term because it describe somebody who speak a Latin language.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:11 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Probably, considering black Dominicans are considered Hispanic.
I know that you aren't comparing Dominicans, subjected to centuries of colonial brainwashing and alienated from their Africans roots, with people who live in Africa and whose cultural heritage is very evident, even if modified by colonialism.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
That's simply not the reality.

Portuguese is not an "elite" or exclusive upperclass language in Angola. It's the common language that the majority speak amongst themselves.

It's unrelated to class or education. Impoverished Angolan children speak Portuguese. That's how you can really tell that it's the native language there.

If they're multilingual, they're more likely to speak some English or French. The indigenous languages are dying, unfortunately.
I suggest that you go and argue and scream at the government of Angola. I will submit to you that they probably draw from a broader base of the population than you might have been exposed to.

Speaking Portuguese does NOT mean that its the first language, and even if it is, it does NOT mean that its the exclusive language.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
And whites remained, and a lot of Portuguese are flocking there. I believe that the leader of the country was white.

There has never been a white leader since independence. Since Angola's economy has tumbled with the drop in oil prices I bet that the Portuguese are fleeing, and I bet that those who live in Angola do so in expat enclaves.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:33 AM

63 posts, read 61,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I guess they would be considered Afro-Latino. The more interesting question is "Would immigrants from that country be able to identify themselves as Hispanics in the United States?"
Why on earth would they be considered Afro-Latino? Africa is not in the Latin American region. It's like calling a Spaniard latino, which is also incorrect.

They're hispanic. Hispanic is a culture shared by Spanish-speaking people. All latinos are hispanic, but not all hispanics are latino. However, with the exception of Spaniards and these Spanish-people people in Africa, the remainder are latinos for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa