U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-22-2017, 11:01 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,949,240 times
Reputation: 3799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Its not that easy. "Hispanics" are a cultural group, they are not an ethnic group like the Anglo Saxons or Portuguese.

There are millions of hispanics who are either primarily of african descent, or near totally of african descent. That aside, none of the relatively few Angolans that I have met self identified as hispanic. Thus, I dont consider them hispanic either.
Anglo Saxons are in fact a cultural group. A loose connection of the people who live in northwestern Europe who aren't Nordic or Celtic. Germans, Dutch and the English are quite distinct, but would be considered Anglo Saxon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2017, 01:21 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,949,240 times
Reputation: 3799
http://poing.me/layar/Colombia/brochuranoCrop.pdf

According to this only 39% speak Portuguese as a mother tongue. Elsewhere it is suggested that another 32% speak it as a second language with the rest not being very competent.

So in fact most Angolans (over 60% speak a language other than Portuguese as their first language). Calling Angolans Lusophones is pure nonsense in this case.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOgaNyQAvi0

Are these people Hispanic? I think not. Cannot imagine this in Madrid.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXf_-5zZ3zc

What is this? Spain or Congo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2017, 06:13 AM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,671,830 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
http://poing.me/layar/Colombia/brochuranoCrop.pdf

According to this only 39% speak Portuguese as a mother tongue. Elsewhere it is suggested that another 32% speak it as a second language with the rest not being very competent.

So in fact most Angolans (over 60% speak a language other than Portuguese as their first language). Calling Angolans Lusophones is pure nonsense in this case.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOgaNyQAvi0

Are these people Hispanic? I think not. Cannot imagine this in Madrid.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXf_-5zZ3zc

What is this? Spain or Congo?
What do people in Angola or Equatorial Guinea say?

Obviously different people have different thoughts on the matter, but you're speaking as the SOLE voice of everything Black in the world when you have no background on these matters.

Being a Guyanese immigrant in the US does not mean you know everything there is to know about Black people around the world, or how different groups of Black people identify.

Honestly if someone wants to know how people from Angola or Equatorial Guinea they would need to ask citizens from those countries and probably go to those countries.

CaribNY, on many countries your knowledge is extremely superficial as you just basically read Encyclopedia entries on them, and them jump up and down claiming expertise on places you've never been to, never lived in, and have no former academic background on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2017, 10:13 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,949,240 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What do people in Angola or Equatorial Guinea say?

Obviously different people have different thoughts on the matter, but you're speaking as the SOLE voice of on.
That they are Africans. Except for the small mulatto elites. Its only a bunch of people in the USA who want to make every one Lusophone or Hispanic.

Angola actually had to fight a very bloody war to win their independence for Portugal. They are in the same category of countries like Zimbabwe and Namibia. I will suggest to you that if most Angolans speak an African language as a first language and that many whose first language is Portuguese might also have familiarity with at least one African language, that these people are Africans. Like all Africans they have been greatly impacted by their colonial heritage but that doesn't detract from them being African.

In addition you don't offer any insights on this so why incite?

Last edited by caribny; 05-23-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2017, 08:03 AM
 
2,350 posts, read 957,643 times
Reputation: 1801
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So in fact most Angolans (over 60% speak a language other than Portuguese as their first language). Calling Angolans Lusophones is pure nonsense in this case.
That's ridiculous. The majority of Angolans ONLY speak portuguese.

Angola is different. The Colonial language has become the first language there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 04:51 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,949,240 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
That's ridiculous. The majority of Angolans ONLY speak portuguese.

Angola is different. The Colonial language has become the first language there.
I used as a link a publication of the Angola government. It stated that only 40% speak it as the first language. This means two things.

1. 60% do NOT speak it as a first language.

2. Even the 40% who do speak it as a first language may well speak other language(s) depending on what region they are from.

Maybe your connect to the monolingual elites, but the GOVERNMENT of Angola suggests that to attribute monolingual Portuguese speech to Angolans isn't correct.

There are very few Africans who are monolingual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 05:24 PM
 
211 posts, read 122,285 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I used as a link a publication of the Angola government. It stated that only 40% speak it as the first language. This means two things.

1. 60% do NOT speak it as a first language.

2. Even the 40% who do speak it as a first language may well speak other language(s) depending on what region they are from.

Maybe your connect to the monolingual elites, but the GOVERNMENT of Angola suggests that to attribute monolingual Portuguese speech to Angolans isn't correct.

There are very few Africans who are monolingual.
Yes. There are so many dialects that the Portuguese language is used in Angola as a unifying vector. Same thing with French in Senegal or English in Ghana. Even if using a European language, Angolans are Bantu people with a Bantu culture. Including them in the same category with Mexicans or Salvadoreans makes no sense, since they have NOTHING in common, aside from speaking a language that isn't even sui generis in the first place. That Hispanic label should remain where it belongs, that is in the US and the spanish-speaking Americas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 08:49 AM
 
2,819 posts, read 1,660,995 times
Reputation: 2037
Probably, considering black Dominicans are considered Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 09:09 AM
 
211 posts, read 122,285 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Probably, considering black Dominicans are considered Hispanic.
That's in the US. The world is not the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 03:50 PM
 
2,350 posts, read 957,643 times
Reputation: 1801
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I used as a link a publication of the Angola government. It stated that only 40% speak it as the first language. This means two things.
That's simply not the reality.

Quote:
Maybe your connect to the monolingual elites, but...
Portuguese is not an "elite" or exclusive upperclass language in Angola. It's the common language that the majority speak amongst themselves.

It's unrelated to class or education. Impoverished Angolan children speak Portuguese. That's how you can really tell that it's the native language there.

Quote:
There are very few Africans who are monolingual.
If they're multilingual, they're more likely to speak some English or French. The indigenous languages are dying, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top